Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help save Sydney's life!

Sydney Update: Recent Bloodwork

For anyone that has not been following Sydney's story here is a recap of the worst two weeks of my life. Sydney, my kitty that I have had for 13 years was diagnosed with an aggressive form of nasal Lymphoma. Two weeks ago, she developed this strange swelling on her head, and was taken to the vets immediatly. Since that first visit, she has had steriod shots, antibiotics, a biopsy, mass removal, pain medication, blood work, etc. costing a total of $850. This morning my vet called me back and told me that it will cost $5,000 for Sydney to get the linear acceleration radiation therapy needed to save her life. There is not one veterinarian oncologist within a 250 mile raduis for me to get a second opinion - as it is I have to travel to Auburn, AL. a 3 1/2 hour drive and leave her there for 3 weeks, to have the treatment. I am an unmarried poor college student, who has already spent all my existing money on her vet bills. I love this cat like she is my own child, my baby, my best friend in the whole world. I have been so devastated this entire week that I am just crumbling. I have a treatment that will save my Baby's life, but because of money, I have to watch her die. I have scrambled up $2000 from my tuition and family members, but I am still $3000 short. Please if you can donate anything it would greatly be appreciated. The link to PayPal is at the very bottom. My baby and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sincerely,
    Desperate Kat

Just Click the bottom link to be sent to Paypal. Thank you so much for your generosity.

Donate Now Through PAYPAL

UPDATE (6-13-08): Sydney is now receiving her cancer treatment at the following location:
    Cordova Animal Medical Center
    2433 E. Langley Ave.
    Pensacola, FL 32504
    Phone: (850) 479-2222
    Veterinarian: Dr. Shelly Ashley
    Patient: Sydney
    Species: Feline
    Owner: Katharine G. Herman

If you would like to make a donation directly to the vet, please contact them there.

Last edited by kittykatharine; 01-10-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Did you try to get funding from IMOM? I would be glad to donate something, although I am afraid it won't be very much. I was just wondering if you are trying other sources as well?

Is this treatment very successful? I sure hope so! Have you talked with the vets in Auburn yet?

Thanks so much Moesha, every little penny helps me a little bit. IMOM and the dozen other agencies I tried are no longer accepting applicants because of low donations and too many pets to help. I have talked to the vets in Auburn and my vet here, and they said that it is extremely sucessful at putting the cancer into remission. They reported that it will at YEARS to her life and that if she had a cancer, this was one of the best to get. That is why I am so distraught - this is a life saving procedure, that just happens to cost an arm and a leg. Thank you again for being so wonderful, we truly appreciate any help, even if it is $1.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Did you try to get funding from IMOM? I would be glad to donate something, although I am afraid it won't be very much. I was just wondering if you are trying other sources as well?

Is this treatment very successful? I sure hope so! Have you talked with the vets in Auburn yet?

Is there a way to contact the vet directly and donate through them either via credit card or by mailing a check. I know that PayPal takes a percentage of each transaction and maybe if donations when directly to the vet doing the procedure the entire amount donated would actually go toward the treatment. I can only imagine the difficult time you are going through. Would the vet be willing to take payments and do you have to have the entire amount before they will do anything? I'm hoping for the best for your dear Sydney. I have a Sydney of my own. She showed up as a kitten and has been here 7 years and won't let anyone touch her. I'm glad your Syds is your baby.

I can send a bit to the vet - will they accept a minimum down payment to get going and arrange a payment plan?

It's a three week treatment - do they need ALL the money up front?

Also, Google Care Credit - there is a section in there for pets. It is a loan - but interest free if paid back inside 3 months.

That way you can get the amount for Sydney, and focus on fundraising to pay the loan back. I will have more to donate in early July - so look into that too!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My vet is calling to make me an appointment with a specific vet at Auburn tomorrow. As soon as I know the doctors name, I will post it. I was told they are expecting the full payment when I pick her up at the end of the treatment, so three weeks from when I drop her off. I am also going to try applying with care credit. I am just worried about how I am going to eat and live since I don't make more than $200 every two weeks as a student assistant. But, delaying the cost gives me more time to find some additional assistance. I am just happy that this gives Sydney a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I can send a bit to the vet - will they accept a minimum down payment to get going and arrange a payment plan?

It's a three week treatment - do they need ALL the money up front?

Also, Google Care Credit - there is a section in there for pets. It is a loan - but interest free if paid back inside 3 months.

That way you can get the amount for Sydney, and focus on fundraising to pay the loan back. I will have more to donate in early July - so look into that too!

WOOHOO!

And here is another link I found in Dog Health - it might be a bit much for you, but I don't know how they work, so check it out!

https://www.fundable.com/startcollection

ETA: I sent a little bit! It will be more in early July!

Just sent my donation
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Just an idea. there is a website called Wish Upon A Hero. You make a wish! You could wish for donations for Sydney. You may get some responses, it is worth a try.

http://www.wishuponahero.com/

You should also plan some fundraising.

kittykatherine: for fundraising, here's some ideas, and brainstorm with a friend at school or with family:

1. Find stuff to sell on eBay
    2. Find stuff to have a garage sale with.
    3. Find a place at your school that will allow you to have a pic of Sydney and a fundraising can...a place here in my town wanted to raise 1 million pennies, which is (I think) $10,000! So look at raising "Half a million pennies!" (and buy a few bags of penny rollers lol). No one misses their pennies.

4. The bar/cafeteria - would they hold a special evening?

I can't think of any more ideas, but maybe you can...just get Sydney started on treatment and the rest will fall into place!

Thank you everyone so much! And thank you so much Catty1 and Brody'sMum for the donations. Sydney and I appreciate it from the bottoms of our heart. I had some good news today, my vet was able to pull some strings and get me an appointment at the Auburn vet clinic tomorrow at 10 am. I have packed Sydney her favorite blanket that smells like home, a stuffed animal that is always on my bed, and several cans of her favorite food, in case they have trouble feeding her. I am really scared for my little baby. She has never been away from me for longer than a week, I am going to be praying for her everyday. I am so worried that she is going to feel that I abandoned her. I will drive up their after a week and a half, and I was hoping if I call, maybe they can put her ear up to the phone. My vet assured me that this procedure has an excellent success rate and will add years to her life, if she can live through the chemo and radiation. I am so worried for her, but it has to be done. If you are interested in leaving a donation at the hospital, here is the contact information:

UPDATE (6-13-08): Sydney is now receiving her cancer treatment at the following location:
    Cordova Animal Medical Center
    2433 E. Langley Ave.
    Pensacola, FL 32504
    Phone: (850) 479-2222
    Veterinarian: Dr. Shelly Ashley
    Patient: Sydney
    Species: Feline
    Owner: Katharine G. Herman

If you would like to make a donation directly to the vet, please contact them there.

Again, thank you everyone for your support and prayers!
    Last edited by kittykatharine; 06-13-2008 at 04:57 PM.

I will call and make a donation either tomorrow or Thursday. I'm not sure if I will be home when the hospital will be opened tomorrow. I'll plan on waiting for an update from you tomorrow and calling them on Thursday. I will be hoping for good news for you and dear Sydney.

When you get there, you will get to see how the staff are with animals. Tell them about your worries, that Sydney has never been away from home for so long!

Glad you are sending some things with her that smell like 'home'. Got a t shirt you haven't washed yet? Throw that in too!

Sydney looks still quite perky from what you said - she is eating and all - so hopefully it is a good start for her!

Maybe ask them about the Regressin - though the treatment sounds pretty effective!

Check this link for other ways to find funding:
    http://www.tinypamperedpets.com/serv...resources/Page

Below the Tribute to Romeo is a listing of possibilities.

Prayers for Sydney. Please let us know as you learn more!

I sent a small donation. I know it wasn't much, but every little bit helps. Prays for you and Sydney. Please keep us posted.