Thread: Stress or meds? pulling tuffs of fur out?

Stress or meds? pulling tuffs of fur out?

Hi all, I know it's been pretty stressful for my sweet foster Rocca, going in to PetSmart every weekend for adoption, never finding her special person since February.

But, the last 2 weeks while grooming, she pulls out little tuffs of her short, white fur!!!

Could this be anything to do with the Interferon Alfa drops, or just all the stress of trying to find her a new home??

I stay with her during adoption times, as this seems to soothe her - and who else knows more about this sweetie than me!

Today we came home and within 2 hours, there were about 5 tuffs of fur she'd yanked out

Will call her Vet Monday and ask, but anyone with experience???

Thanks, Debbie, Bonnie, Olive, Lucky Streak, Sandia and Rocca

Crockett got his new home yesterday (YEAH) and Lailah goes to her new home next week YEAH!

Is she actually pulling it out, or grooming it until it's gone?

Jazz is (supposedly) allergic to some mysterious something, and he goes bald a good bit of the year.

My mom's cat sometimes grooms a bit too well and if she doesn't like the feel of a chunk of hair she just yanks it out. She does have a small bald patch on her belly from overgrooming but where she's yanking out the tufts isn't bald. Never have figured out why Torry does that.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Rocca actually pulls little tuffs of her furr out. She now has a spot on one shoulder that is almost bald!

I did not take her to adoption Sunday, as Saturday seemed to be enough stress to make her do this again. Of course she also tries to make her eyes look funny until we get home (dang they are SMART), as I know she would love to stay here and if we didn't travel - she would stay! lol

A new foster mom came forward (yeah)!! But, I'm going to run Rocca to the Vet to see if there is anything we can do other than the eye drops. We've extended our stay for 1 extra week so Rocca can get into this new foster's home!

Gosh her eyes look good! I'm going to recommend her new foster mom keep her at home and not take her for adoption for a month, to help Rocca get used to her new foster mom's home and hope this will lessen the stress.

I have doubts her special person will be found at an adoption clinic, more likely some special person will see her ad, slideshow or petfinder and take it to heart

Just don't know if this could be some type of reaction to the long time drops, or a "stress" issue.

Will get some Calming plugin and see how that goes.

Thanks!!