Thread: Any Suggestions

Any Suggestions

Hi! My Maverick has a case of the " runs". And my vet gave me pills to stop it.The only problem is getting him to take the pill. Giving it to him by mouth will e really hard.As he he is still skittish & would need two people to do it.and I"m by myself. I tried grinding it up & putting it on a small piece of lunch meat. His reaction was " NO WAY!! LOL!!!
    i may try a small bit of wet food, bu I don't know. His regular food is dry & I need to be careful so Levi doesn't eat it. I would greatly aprreciate any suggestions on this problem. Thanks to anyone who may be able to help.

Pill pockets - largish treats hollowed out to hold a pill. Try the chicken flavour!

I hope Maverick is better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Pill pockets - largish treats hollowed out to hold a pill. Try the chicken flavour!

I hope Maverick is better soon!
    Thanks!! Only one question, where can I buy the pill pockets at?? I've never seen them in our pet stores.Or can you get them from the vet's?? IHis "problem") maybe from a change of different food. I've only had him couple weeks.I adopted him & Levi to be buddies with my 13 yr old Cheyenne. I'm in the process of introducing them. She hisses & they ignore her LOL!! I'm doing it several times a day.Thanks for the suggestion, I hope I can find them.

Call the vet - here some pet stores carry them (Greenies makes a pill pocket, ask if they have that).

Basically, sit down with a cuppa, get the Yellow Pages, and phone the pet stores! The packages are smallish, and don't have PILL POCKETS in big letters!

Here is a link with both Pill Pockets and Flavor Doh. I have never used any of these.

http://www.petedge.com/catalog/searc...rtial&Ntt=pill

I usually corner the cat, scruff him at the back of the neck, balance him on the kitchen counter, work my way in the mouth from the side (near the joint) and push the pill down.

I've also done it sitting in the recliner and wedging the cat in between me and the chair arm.

Best wishes!
    Sandie

:-)

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Attach one end of short leash to cat, and other end to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for vet to make a house call.

16. Get vet to make house call; vet wraps cat in towel, cradles it upside down on one arm, administer pill with other hand and says "There, see how easy that was?"

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Attach one end of short leash to cat, and other end to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

16. Get vet to make house call; vet wraps cat in towel, cradles it upside down on one arm, administer pill with other hand and says "There, see how easy that was?"
    I like the 15 ways to give a pill. LOL!! But I FOUND the "pi;ll pocket" at a Petsmart in North Canton which is 2 hours from me. We was in the area so I checked it out.We have a Petco about 15 miles so I"ll check there too. And the good news he ate it without question. I put a couple other treats iin with the pill pocket.So thank you very much for letting me know about them. I hope the pills will solve the problem. We don't have many pets right in this area where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Here is a link with both Pill Pockets and Flavor Doh. I have never used any of these.

http://www.petedge.com/catalog/searc...rtial&Ntt=pill

I usually corner the cat, scruff him at the back of the neck, balance him on the kitchen counter, work my way in the mouth from the side (near the joint) and push the pill down.

I've also done it sitting in the recliner and wedging the cat in between me and the chair arm.

Best wishes!
    Sandie

Hi Sandie, thanks for your tips, I wrote them done o keep just in case I need them. I found th pill pockets at a Petsmart 2 hours from here. We was in the area so I checked it out.We have a Petco & Pets Plus so I;ll check there to.Love all your pictures of your furry babies.They are alll soooooo cute!!! Thanks once again for the help. I"m hoping Maverick'sproblem will now be fixed.He ate the pill pocket with no question.So here's hoping the pills will correct the problem.

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

There are days when that's closer to the truth of the matter.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I didn't have any luck with pill pockets because I could not get my cat to open her mouth! This movie http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/se...+category%3A21 helped me a lot!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    I didn't have any luck with pill pockets because I could not get my cat to open her mouth! This movie http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/se...+category%3A21 helped me a lot!

Hi Sorry the pill pockets didn't help you with your cat. What did you do to get it to take the pill? That would be frustrating to say the least. Love your cat's pictures & names.Pepper looks a little like my Cheyenne,

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePrincess View Post
    Hi Sorry the pill pockets didn't help you with your cat. What did you do to get it to take the pill? That would be frustrating to say the least. Love your cat's pictures & names.Pepper looks a little like my Cheyenne,
    I watched the movie. Learned how to back Cammie up towards me. Pressed my fingers against her jaw hinges and once I had her trapped against me, she would open her mouth. I'd pop the pill in quickly and hold her mouth closed and massage her throat.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I've always had success with giving pills with any dog. You just have to make sure to restrain them properly (I have to use my body/legs so they won't back away from me), get them in a headlock with one arm and with your other hand pry their jaw open and push the pill with your finger as far back as you can and down INTO the esophagus.

If you have a fractious dog though this isn't smart since you don't want to get bit but idk I've never had trouble pilling dogs. Some people don't push the pill back far enough so my suggestion I suppose is just to make you you have him restrained and push the pill back as far as possible then hold his mouth shut

facebook