Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My heart is bleeding.

My heart is bleeding.

I am so upset right now. I feel so helpless and I am at complete loss of what to do. My kitty, of which I have had almost 13 years, developed this strange swelling on the bridge of her nose over the memorial weekend. Being very concerned, I took her to the veterinarian's office first thing Tuesday morning when they were open. The vet seemed to be unsure what could have caused the bump (whether an abscess, a sinus infection, eosiniphic granuloma, mast cell tumor, etc.), so we decided to do some preliminary blood work to determine whether any of her lab values were abnormal. We additionally took her temp, which was a 102.9 (this is a low grade temp for a feline). It was decided that we would give her a short acting steroid to decrease some of the inflammation as well as start her on antibiotics in case there was an infection. The vet said she would call me the next day with the blood test results. The doctor called me the next morning stating that her white blood cell count was elevated, her thyroid level was a little high, and everything else was within normal levels. The vet suggested that I keep her on the antibiotics for a week, to see if the swelling subsides. After 5 days worth of antibiotics, the lump had gotten larger, and was now pushing her right eyelid downward. This was Sunday. Surprisingly, my kitty was in good spirit - running around, playing with the other cat, eating and drinking normally. This morning I got up really early and took my kitty back to the vet. While in the waiting room she started to sneeze (she has allergies and has been sneezing a lot since the spring season hit), only this time their was blood in her sputum. I tried so hard to hold my composure - I knew that if I started to cry I wouldn't be able to stop, I also knew I would upset her and become useless when the vet did call me back to be seen. I didn't let myself cry. My kitty is so sensitive to my feelings, she knows when I am upset and I didn't want her to know that I was worried. It was at this moment we were called back to see the vet. The doctor then came in and looked at her face, and went over her symptomology with me. We decided that I would bring her in tomorrow to have her head shaved and to have a biopsy performed. Then we will no definitively whether this is a bacterial or fungal infection or if it is cancer. If it is cancer, my vet indicated I would have to take her to Auburn to have surgery performed - an expense I am almost positive I would not be able to afford - I mean just this past week I have spent $700 - and I don't even know what she has yet. A surgical procedure in another state, I am sure would cost thousands. What am I to do? I do NOT believe in putting your animal to sleep - we don't do it to people and I wouldn't treat her any differently. I have always been the type of person who treats her animals as if they are family. Unlike many of my friends, when I accept an animal into my home - it is for the duration of their life. I feel as if my own child is sick and that I am waiting to hear whether or not she has cancer. I can't sleep or do my school work because I am so upset. Why can't I be like the parents in Lorenzo's Oil? Why can't I cure her. I just don't want to loose her, she means the world to me. I am at a complete loss of what to do. Right now, I am staying home with her all day - trying to make her as comfortable as possible before her procedure tomorrow. Please have her in your prayers. Has anyone else experienced a situation like this? The growth developed in two days!!! Thank you.

This is a picture of her bump. It is at the top of her nose.

You are doing all you can for your kitty - be strong for her
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Prayers that the Vet gives better news after the biopsy. It could be
    other things besides cancer & I hope she heals up quickly.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You and your kitty will be in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you everyone for your support

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. It is just a very hard time for my family and I. We love our Sydney so much. I will post an update when I figure out what the results of the biopsy say. For now, I will continue to pray and spend all my time with her. Thanks again!

I've not had experience w/this type of thing, so I can't be of much help there. Lots of other diseases w/my cats, yes, but not this. Do your best to take one day at a time, one moment at a time, if necessary. It can be difficult waiting for news about our furkids but know that we'll be praying for you and Sydney. (((HUGS))) to you both. A special candle will be lit for her and you. In the meantime, just give her all your love and know that whatever God leads you to, God can lead you through. Please keep us updated.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers are heading your way for you and your kitty.
    Nine is Fine!!

I am so sorry. More prayers coming that it will be something other than cancer that can be cured easily and quickly.

Emeraldgreen has just gone through something like this...I am sure she will post here.

For funding, look up www.imom.org

Sometimes they have funds available, sometimes not, but it sure doesn't hurt to ask!

Also - the surgeon may work out a payment plan for you.

Hoping for good news - glad she is so frisky and eating well!

PT Prayers are with you - keep us posted, there is a lot of support and information here.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We went through this with our dog several yrs ago. The lump formed overnight,- on the bridge of her nose- we thought she had gotten stung by a bee or something. After a week we took her to the vet's and after some checking it was cancer. We operated then and there and when she came out of it all she ever sported was a scar on her nose with no hair growing. She lived another 8 yrs. so try not to worry.

Oh my gosh... poor kitty. I hope that the biopsy will find that it's nothing too invasive and will be easy to treat.

Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.

Prayers for you and Sydney during this very difficult time.

Thank you Catty1

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Emeraldgreen has just gone through something like this...I am sure she will post here.

For funding, look up www.imom.org

Sometimes they have funds available, sometimes not, but it sure doesn't hurt to ask!

Also - the surgeon may work out a payment plan for you.

Hoping for good news - glad she is so frisky and eating well!

PT Prayers are with you - keep us posted, there is a lot of support and information here.

Catty1 thank you so much for that link to IMOM. That has provided me with some definite hope if the surgery is required and expensive - i looked at what disqualifies you and I didn't have any of those. Also thank you so much for your prayers. This is a new experience for me and I am a non- married poor college student, so links like that are extremely helpful. Thanks Shepgirl, knowing that their is a possible happy ending, even if it is cancer provides me some home. Thank you everyone, you truly are making the difference.
    Last edited by kittykatharine; 06-02-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Wanted to include another thank you

I am so sorry to read this about your Sydney.
    Having just gone through this type of experience with our RB Thumper it's NOT an easy journey. Any good vet surgeon will tell you, surgery can actually make growths come back even bigger once they are taken out.
    We opted NOT to have surgery. Her story is under "cat health" Thumper.
    Be prepared for the emotional ride of your life. I will keep good thoughts and prayers for your Sydney.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I'm so sorry to hear about Sydney. You must be very worried. I haven't heard of a lump forming so quickly but Shepgirl's description sounds very similar to Sydney's.
    My cat Tiger has been battling Squamous Cell Carcinoma for just over a year now. I definitely understand your frustration in not knowing what is going on with Sydney, despite the 700.00 you've already spent. The biopsy will make everything much clearer though and hopefully you'll have the results soon. Tiger didn't have a biopsy done until 8 weeks after he started having respiratory issues and 5 different vets. They thought he had everything under the sun until I went to a vet who had a rhinoscopy (camera small enough to go into the nose) and he performed the biopsy. I'm just so glad that you noticed the lump right away and got her to the vet.
    If you do find out it's cancer, you may be interested in a product that I've had my cat Tiger on for a few months. I wish I had learned of it sooner even though I don't know if it's helping but it seems to have helped quite a few other animals battling cancer. It's called Transfer Factor. (If you click on this link it will take you to the website) It's a mega immune booster supplement. I learned about it from Catty1 who posted a link for me to check out. I ended up reading some testimonials from some people who had used it on their pets with cancer. One woman had a cat with S.C. Carcinoma and I think she couldn't afford the surgery. Her cat was in terrible shape and she took him to the vet to be euthanized but at the last minute she felt it wasn't the right decision. She went home and found out about Transfer Factor. She gave her cat 4-5 capsules (of the human capsules, not the pet capsules) a day for 2 months and then tapered it off to 3 caps a week. I emailed her to ask her how long her cat had lived after that and she told me that her cat was doing fine and was still with her two years later. I can't tell you if it works or not from personal experience because he's only been on it for a few months and he's had a few setbacks with congestion and infection and I had to stop giving it to him but I've started him on it again today.
    Before I put Tiger on Transfer Factor, he had had 3 surgeries to remove parts of the nasal tumour. Each time, it really helped him to breathe but it did grow back faster each time and I think Craftlady might be right about it growing back larger etc.. It certainly seems to be the case with Tiger. But, if it could provide Sydney with immediate relief, it might be the way to go.
    And, it may not be cancer at all which is definitely what I'm praying for!!! I hope that it is some kind of infection that didn't respond to the first round of antibiotics but will respond to a different kind of antibiotic. That would be such a blessing.
    Please keep us posted on your beautiful tabby girl.