Thread: Does your dog ignore it when another dog is humping him/her?

Does your dog ignore it when another dog is humping him/her?

I've been wondering this for a long time, since my dog is the only one that seems to do this. Does anyone have a dog that will ignore it/do nothing when another dog decides to hump him/her?

My dog, being a boxer mix, can play pretty rough. He occasionally will be a little too rough about keeping another dog on its back at the dog park, and twice I've actually seen him put his mouth on a dog's neck to pin them down (it was definitely playful and not aggressive, I've never once seen him show teeth, bark, or growl at another dog) and I corrected that behavior immediately.
    But for a dog that can play so rough, what seems weird is that when he's playing, if another dog starts humping him, he ignores it and tries to keep playing while he has a dog on his back. He won't even acknowledge it.
    Is it possible that he is just really trying hard to avoid a fight? When dogs bark at him he ignores it, and shows no interest in fighting. I just find it weird that he doesn't even warn the other dog by growling or turning around or making any attempt to get the dog off his back. Should I be worried about him not giving any warning signs to the other dog?

My dogs do the same thing. Gracie always humps my dog Lucy but Lucy always ignores it. She won't even turn around and look at her. lol

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Ah, dogs like yours are frustrating for people like me who have dogs who hump Sometimes I can't be right there to correct my dog if he starts humping another, so it's nice when the dogs tell him off. He seems to like Goldens the most now because they generally ignore him.

I'm not sure of the reason your dog ignores it, but know that he's not the only one!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Your dog sounds like a well adjusted animal! It is secure in itself and feels no reason to react to a lower ranking animal trying to be dominant by humping.

This is exactly the technique that a lot of dog owners should strive to emulate - if the dog bugging you is of a lower rank than you and you are secure with that then it is not worth bothering with. Your dog would only react to this if it was actually sexual or it felt it's dominance was slipping.

As long as your dog ignores it so should you.

Be proud, your dog sounds great, you sound great and your dog is only concerned with your pack - not the others.

Jamie tolerates if for maybe 30 seconds, then she tries walking away, and if they are STILL persistant that's when she'll start snapping at them.

Happens a LOT at the dog park, and kinda ticks me off, the dog's owners usually think it's "cute" or "funny" or "ohhhh he likes her!"

Then I'M the bad guy when my dog snaps at them...

You know I really don't like going to dog parks but it's so good for exercise since my in-laws don't have a fenced-in yard

facebook

Ripley occasionally will do that to Bella. Sometimes he will do it when she is laying down. If he does it when she is walking she will just sit down. I always tell him to stop and he listens to me right away.