Thread: Baby cottontail with injuries from a dog

Baby cottontail with injuries from a dog

Some friends of mine saved a little cottontail bunny from their dogs. The bunny is about the size of someones palm. It's eyes are open. The bunny has a wound on its side about the size of a quarter. The wound has stopped bleeding and there is no fur in the area of the wound. I believe the bunny is old enough not to need milk. What should we do for the wound? Is it best to just let the bunny go and hope for the best? or Try and treat the wound and hope not to stress and make things worse? Also what should we be feeding it? Any other suggestions would help as well. I am in the process of finding a place that does wildlife rehabilitation for the little guy.

A rehab place would be your best bet, as it depends on the age of the bunny. Make sure it at least has water available, and if there are dandelions in your yard, put those nearby in case it is old enough to nibble greens ...
    I've Been Frosted

I have been searching for a rehab place in my area but there doesn't seem to be a place near me. The vets that I have called only suggested putting him outside in an enclosed area and watching to see how he does or putting him down. I put water in front of him in a little lid. I also syringe fed him some water and he took that nicely. He also has grass and dandelions in front of him as well. He has perked up a lot since when we found him last night. Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated!

How does the wound look? Is it an open wound still? I am glad he is perking up, has he eaten anything?
    I've Been Frosted

I think he ate some grass last night. I don't think he has eaten yet today. His wound is has scabbed over and looks much better. I think the dog more tore his skin then punctured it. He has been taking water very nicely. Thanks for the help again!

It is good that the wound has scabbed over. If he seems lively enough, you could try releasing him, as he needs to eat - often, preferably, and maybe wants some other food!
    I've Been Frosted