Thread: I think my Betta is dieing :(

I think my Betta is dieing :(

Erin is, I think, a SBD fish. She got better and has been fine for a few months.

Tonight I walked in to see my fishies and she can't dive. She's hanging around the top, on her side. On her right side, there is what seems to be sometime of bulge under the "skin" (?) that I couldn't get a good photo of.

Here are two photos:

Floating on her side, body appears to be bent

Weird bulge, something just doesn't look right

I have no idea what is wrong!! HELP!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Egg-bound perhaps, or a tumor, or maybe just constipated. I don't know what to tell you. Fish are hard to treat if they aren't able to eat so we can get medication into them. Small fish are even harder to treat as in larger fish you can kinda rub them to see if its eggs or a tumor, but with smaller fish you'd squish them too easily. I think for now you should put her in some clean shallow water and see if she improves any.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Unfortunately it looks like it could be dropsy to me, especially with the eyes looking bugged out. Do the scales stick out some? It's a bit hard to tell. Dropsy is usually fatal, even if caught early. Poor little fishy
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I doubt it's eggs, she has never been an eggy girl (thank God - eggy females are ugly lol).

I can't stand looking at her, it makes me so sad.

I've never heard of Dropsy, Jess, what is it?

I am going to fast her for a few days, and then try feeding her a bit of a pea. Say a prayer for my little Erin please!

But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I looked up info on dropsy, and it does sound like she could have it... except her scales are not raised... hmm...

Poor girl. Everyone has already suggested what came to my mind, but I am still sending some good vibes out for her. Hopefully it passes, whatever it ends up being.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Poor Erin. I hope she gets better!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Well, she's doing lots better... but can't fully dive. Swelling has gone down a lot.

I have no idea what kind of diet I should do for her. I only feed her one pellet every 2-3 days, and even that seems to affect her... any suggestions?

Poor little Erin . Have you tried her on a flake food? it might be a bit softer for her to digest.

I hope she will be ok.

We lost our Otto (the lastest one) a couple of months ago. It broke my heart.

I think I'd just stick with peas without the skin, cut up enough she can eat them. Probably only need a tiny piece each meal.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx View Post
    Poor little Erin . Have you tried her on a flake food? it might be a bit softer for her to digest.
    No, I haven't. But I might try it. I haven't used flake food for a while - my males never liked it. Maybe she will, though.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I think I'd just stick with peas without the skin, cut up enough she can eat them. Probably only need a tiny piece each meal.
    Like, peas for life?

Not for life, just until she's been acting better for a while.

fishy wishy

ah poor baby i will look stuff up