Thread: Need help re Pidgie

Need help re Pidgie

I've posted before about this but now I'm out of ideas. Pidgie is my 18 1/2 year old Maine Coone/Tortie mix. She's such a sweetheart and, once we got rid of all the fleas, ticks, worms, etc., she's NEVER had a sick day since I rescued her at 2 1/2 years of age. My problem w/her is her coat. It's so thick and she has an even thicker undercoat. I used to be able to groom her w/no problem but as she's gotten older, she's come to detest grooming. She bites, scratches, knocks the brush out of my hand and gets so stressed; her breathing becomes very rapid. She has terrible clumping very close to her skin. It varies on where it is, too. Last time, it was on her hindquarters, so when I took her in for teeth cleaning, I had them shave her hindquarters. It has grown back nicely w/no clumping. Now it's on her back and sides and it's especially bad close to her tail. She goes nuts when I even try to brush her there. Should I just have her shaved all over and be done w/it?

The reason I'm asking is this: years ago I had a Border Collie and before she came to us, her previous family would shave her once a year rather than have her regularly groomed. She was so ashamed of her appearance that she actually hid until her fur grew back somewhat. After she became ours, I took her to a groomer every 8 weeks and never had to have her shaved again. Will a cat react in the same way, do you think? Pidge is such a pretty girl and she has the sweetest disposition except during grooming. LOL I don't want to stress her but I feel like a bad mom. All my cats are beautifully groomed and then there's Pidge, who looks like a street urchin. I've tried special shampoos and conditioners, the Furminator, capsules to squeeze onto her food, you name it. I'm considering having her whole body shaved, perhaps in a lion cut, and, believe me, I really don't want to do that but I'm afraid she's going to get sores underneath those clumps. What do you think? Should I have her shaved? Has anyone had to do this w/their cat and, if so, how did s/he react?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mary!! It seems that our 2 long hairs, Raven (Persian), and Norton(Maine Coon Mix) HATE to be groomed, brushed, combed, whatever!!!! Raven goes to the groomer, and twice a year, I have her shaved down. I brought Norton to the groomer's. Norton is a very loving and affectionate cat. However, at the groomer's, a snarling, hissing, claw slashing, lashing, and did I mention, spitting and growling Norton(hence Nortilla)emerged!! I was stunned when I heard this. I just told the groomer, no problem, I will clip him the next day, which I did with Barry holding him!!! I gave Norton his summer trim last week, and looks 10 years younger(he is 16)!!! If your Pidgie will not cooperate with you, and sounds like she won't, I'd get her trimmed/shaved. Having mats are no fun, and no fun for you to deal with!! Pidgie, sounds like you might be getting a makeover!! GOOD LUCK, Mary!!!!!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I think you should.

I've only had Vita have one area shaved, and only once; the area that needed it.

Make sure the groomer is licensed to do cats.

That one time, I took Vita in to a PetsSmart, and was very pleased. I went in and spoke with them first. Got an early appt., they took her while the others were checking in dogs, so everyone was free to help if needed. I stood and watched through the glass. In and out in 5 minutes.

Does it really matter if she gets embarrassed? I mean, this is not healthy for her, and when mats get tight enough, they can pull the skin and hurt.

Shaving her down would probably be the kindest thing to do. mats are BAD for the skin. they pull at the skin, they prevent air from reaching the pores, they only get BIGGER, and if it is an area that may become wet, you end up with the equivilent of a diaper rash.

As a groomer, and as a cat owner, I find that MOST cats like the feel of the short hair cut.

I clip Calvin each year because he will not allow brushing. The same with foster cat Lizzie. I have also shaved a few of the short hairs that are prone to heavy shedding and hairballs.

As far as I know, there is no LICENSE to groom cats, but you'd be better off with one experienced and comfortable with cats. Not all shops deal with cats. (unless of course you'd like to drive to eastern PA, then I could do her for you)

[QUOTE=Freedom;2016539]Does it really matter if she gets embarrassed?QUOTE]

No, I guess it doesn't. Perhaps embarrassed isn't the correct word. She's such a shy girl and I guess I just don't want to stress her any more than is necessary. My vet has a wonderful grooming service so I think I'll take her in there and have a lion cut done. She'll probably have to be sedated, though. This cat morphs into the Pidge-a-lator real quick! And, Jen, if you were closer, there's no one else I'd rather have groom her than you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

When Smudge (a Maine mix) moved in I was always having to clip mats out of his fur, and he hated being combed because it always caught in a mat and pulled. But after the vet put him on 3V Caps for an allergic skin condition, his hair got less tangly, and now I don't even have to comb him except to reduce hairballs. I think it changed the texture of his fur. 3V Caps also has the advantage of being very tasty (if you're a cat) - it's mostly fish oil.

Love, Columbine

Quote Originally Posted by columbine View Post
    When Smudge (a Maine mix) moved in I was always having to clip mats out of his fur, and he hated being combed because it always caught in a mat and pulled. But after the vet put him on 3V Caps for an allergic skin condition, his hair got less tangly, and now I don't even have to comb him except to reduce hairballs. I think it changed the texture of his fur. 3V Caps also has the advantage of being very tasty (if you're a cat) - it's mostly fish oil.

Love, Columbine
    She's on 3V caps as well but, so far, it hasn't helped.
    Blessings,
    Mary

My Jorgie gets a shave down (by Jenluckenbach ) about once a year. He's a Norwegian Forest cat or something like that, and has one heck of a thick undercoat. He is also the cat that you cannot hold or put two hands on without him freaking out, so getting him groomed is practically a necessity. Jen does use a leash thing with him on the table so he doesn't freak out and bolt and hide in the shop. One of my fosters did that to her.. I forget which one, lol. Poor thing was in the basement hiding and she had a heck of a time finding him.

The good thing is that Jorgie did seem to love the short cut. He rolled and rolled and just seemed to love the feeling of being all nice and unmatted. Thankfully, he hasn't been lumpy at all so far this year, only by his neck, and he's been letting me use the Furminator on him tiny little little bits at a time (which is a major progression with him!).

I'd say give it whirl. She might look totally embarrassed to be naked, lol, but she'll feel soooooo much better!

MY DEAR MOOSE ANGEL HAD THAT PROBLEM TOO MARY, AND I WILL NEVER FORGET THE DAY HE WAS AT THE VETS AND HE HAD A LION CUT FROM HID STOMACH BACK SO HE TO SAY THE LEAST AN ODD LOOKING CAT.
    BUT HS SKIN HELAED UP WELL AND HE NEVER HAD SKIN PROBLEMS AGAIN.
    THAT WOULD BE MUCH BETTER FOR AN OLDER CAT LIKE PIDGIE, NOT TO HAVE THAT DISCOMFORT, THAT WILL BE A RELIEF TO HER NOT TO HAVE ANYTHING BOTHERING HER.
    PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED ON YOUR SUPER SENIOR PLEASE.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My dog gets shaved every summer. She loves it! She prances around like she's the prettiest thing ever. She feels so much more comfortable. I'd think that shaving would be preferable to the discomfort from the mats.