Thread: 15 stone dog saved by lifeboat crew.

15 stone dog saved by lifeboat crew.

They're often used as rescue dogs. But no one seems to have told Arnold the St Bernard. The 15st hound had to be saved by a lifeboat crew after becoming stuck on a beach as the tide came in.

He had easily made his way down the 130 steps leading to Whipsiderry beach, near Newquay in Cornwall, on Monday. But when the time came to return to the cliff top above, the journey back up proved to be beyond the old dog's capabilities. As night fell and the tide came in, he was left stranded on the enclosed cove and nothing his worried female owner did could entice him to move.

Eyewitness Terry Barnecutt, who took photos of the scene, said: "He didn't want to walk across the beach. He just wanted to sit there. I knew going down the steps that there was no way he'd get back up.
    The steps are not normal steps, there are double the height of normal sized steps. Even an adult would have to use big steps. The tide was coming in, it was getting on a bit.
    The problem is there's no way out, especially for this dog who doesn't like getting his feet wet. Other than getting a chopper out, which is very expensive, there was no option to get him out, other than a lifeboat in that cove."

Fearing the worst, Arnold's unnamed owner called the coastguard. Newquay Coast Guard Rescue Team tried in vain to get him back up the cliff before resorting to calling the local lifeboat.

The St Bernard-mastiff cross was given a snack on the beach, then six people using an animal net lifted him into the inshore lifeboat, along with his distressed owner. They were taken around the coast to Porth Beach where crews carried the exhausted dog up the road.

A spokesman for the RNLI said: "The coastguard was concerned about whether they could fit a huge dog in the D Class lifeboat. The dog was fine, just very old."

Pictures
    Last edited by ChrisH; 05-22-2008 at 06:07 AM.

Poor old soul! I hope he slumbering happily at home today, safe and sound.

Poor Arnold - he must have been so scared
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

How scary for Arnold and his owner. I am sure she didn't expect a nice walk on the beach to end with so much excitement. I must admit I was about half way through the story before I realized that 15st meant 15-stone and that part of the problem was Arnold's size. I am glad to hear all ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom View Post
    I must admit I was about half way through the story before I realized that 15st meant 15-stone and that part of the problem was Arnold's size. I am glad to hear all ended well.
    Sorry about that. I edited the title.

What a sad, but sweet story. I'm glad Arnold got to dryer land!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Omg!

You'd have to be *dinggie* to lead THAT big a pooch down all those steps!

It's kinda funny, BECAUSE all tuned out well.

A Saint who doesn't like to get his feet wet?

I don't think his owner TOOK him down, I think he went by himself. Either wanted to prove to himself he could do it, or more likely, once he started, he had no choice but to keep going. Silly pupper!

You edited the title as I was reading; thanks! I was confused too.

So glad the Coast Guard was willing to rescue him, AND that a dog his size fit in the life boat!

15 stone would be . . . 210 pounds, US.

It was more likely his age - they say he is old - than his weight being the problem with the stairs. I'd not be surprised if he has a touch of arthritis, and hip problems are also common in the giant breeds.

Our first Saint Bernard once got stuck at the top of some stairs - she was about a year old, so not yet full grown, and the stairs were so steep the loose hide (that she eventually grew into) rolled down to cover her eyes whenever she started down.

The only way his size factored into it, I am sure, is that his owner couldn't simply pick him up and carry him back up the stairs! Poor Arnold, at least his owner will know not to let him down those stairs again!
    I've Been Frosted

I am not sure I would go down those stairs and furthermore, I am not so sure I could make it back up those stairs! Poor baby - I know how Jack and Taggert gets about things like that and it would be hard to get them back up those steps and they only weigh between 55 & 60 lbs.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather