Thread: Breathing problems!! Help!!

Breathing problems!! Help!!

Sherwin, my dachshund is having something similar to hyperventilation/asthma attacks. When he does this, i simply cup his snout with my hands and breathe into his snout (repeatedly). This seems to work. Is this common with Dachshunds???
    Sherwin, Bella and Semper's Mama!

No idea but would advise that you get the little guy checked out at the vet. If it's started recently he may have swallowed something and got it stuck
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I just rescued him 3 weeks ago. He was very well taken care of by his foster mom. When she found him he was covered in paint, hence the name "Sherwin". He has been doing this since she had him and has been seen by the vet and cleared. I just thought maybe Dachshunds have this problem.

Oh, I see. Sorry I can't help you with this one (One for Anita Cholaine )
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jen218300 View Post
    . He has been doing this since she had him and has been seen by the vet and cleared.
    I guess that included testing for heartworms?

I may be wrong, but I think what Sherwin may be experiencing is reverese sneezing. It is common in small dogs and it is caused by an inflamation in the soft palate (on the roof of their mouths). The fact that you say breathing into his nose seems to help is what makes me think it could be reverse sneezing. My first dog used to have reverse sneezing attacks, and holding her head up and rubbing her neck would help, a friend of mine does what you do for her chihuahua. Apparently the key is to get air flowing through the mouth/airways of the dog to reduce the inflamation. I don't want to discourage you from going to the doctor, it is always best to make sure that your dog isn't suffering from any serious problems.

This is very ironic because yesterday after my initial post we had Sherwin in the car (which he always rides with us) and he kept having episode after episode and my breathing into his snout wasn't working. So, we ran by the vet and they said the same thing. Inverted sneezing and is caused by several things. Anxiety, excitement, alllergies etc. But, he has calmed down now. Only to be replaced by vomiting today. I think the 2 are totally unrelated though. I am calling the vet in a few to see what I need to do now.

If his reverse sneezing is caused by anxiety, at least there is hope that, as he gets used to the fact that he's now in a good, loving home, and not about to have his world turned upside down, it will stop happening. Good luck in figuring in all this out. As you mentioned it can also be caused by allergies, keep a diary of what exactly he eats and when - including treats and snacks - and see if there's any related pattern of attacks.
    I've Been Frosted

Yep, it sounds like backwards sneezing. Every small dog I know gets it, especially the brachycephalic breeds like my Pekingese.