Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When can my kitten go outside?

When can my kitten go outside?

Hi i have a new kitten.I dont know exactly how old he is because i bought him at a petshop.I just want to know at what age is it safe to let him go outside?He has never been outside.I have had him for nearly 2weeks now.Thanks

Please don't let him out without having him neutered. You would have to check when that can be done with your vet
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Why do you have to let him outside? Why can't he be an inside kitty?
    Just curious. Welcome to PT, btw. And we love to see pictures around here.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

this forum is a large advocate for indoor only kitties.
    but I see you live in South Africa so it might be out of norm there. Not sure so I don't have any advice b/c my advice is keep him inside even after he's neutered.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Welcome to Pet Talk!!! What is the name and colour of your little boy??? I have to agree, it may not be the norm in South Africa, but please keep him inside even after his is neutered. Then he will not be exposed to all the dangers that are out there!!! I have " only " 8 cats and not one of them go outside. EXCEPT with me on a harness and leash!! Indoor is the best place for your boy to be!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I join the group to welcome you here! WELCOME TP PT!!

My 4 are in my siggy, all girls and they are all indoor only..If your boy is happy inside, why let him go out? He is safer inside although where you live it may be just as safe outside..? I like the attention of mine being inside only, I am selfish and love one in my lap as much as often, which they are and sleeping with me at night.. Love it! Love it! Love it!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Welcome to PT! I agree with everyone else as to keeping kitty inside. I have 5 cats and a dog. All the cats are indoor only kitties and the dog doesn't go out alone...not even in our locked garden. I live in Italy and it is completely normal here and even expected for cats to go outside and for dogs to live outside all the time. I am not one of those that believes this though. My kitties are my responsibility. When I took them on I took on the responsibility of their lives. And to me that means keeping them as safe as I possibly can therefore they stay inside where there are not people or other animals to harm them. Where they are safe from cars, poisonous products (plants included) and disease. That's just the way I feel.

If you do decide to let you kitty out (and I don't think you should as he is too young to even know the difference of being outside and inside to want one over the other) then do not let him out before he is neutered and vaccinated in full. The vet will tell you when he should be neutered. (That usually happens around 6 months of age.)

Again welcome to PT. We would love to see pics of the little guy. We are all picture crazy here.

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Hi and Welcome to PT. As the mother of one indoor only and one indoor/outdoor cat, I can tell you that it is better to keep them indoors only. My Bean who goes outside isn't as much of a "pet" as Moon (the indoor only cat). He pretty much just uses me to eat, sleep and cuddle when he feels like it . Don't get me wrong, I love him sooo much but I can't pet him when I want to or cuddle with him because he's always outside! He is obsessed with the outdoors and I could never change him but I wish I never let him out. I also can attest to the sleepness nights when he's not home and it's been longer than usual and I'm WORRIED that I'll never see him again and WORST is that I'll never know what happened to him and my mind goes to all sorts of horrible scenarios. Thank God he has come home everyday and he just came home now as I'm writing this but...everyday I pray when I let him out. Also, he has needed antibiotics a couple of times for bites and has to be treated for tapeworm on occasion (yuck). Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy your new kitten! Pictures please

Every culture is different regarding pets in the homes. (I think in Arabia at one time it was the norm to keep horses in the house).

The risk of a disease or accident basically are very, very high for an outdoor kitty, even with full vaccination kept up to date.

The average livespan of cats:
    Outdoor kitty - 7-9 years
    Indoor kitty - 14-18 years
    (remember this is only an average)

Neutering and vaccinations do increase the chances the cat will live a longer life, but given the dangers outside they do nothing to prevent accidents or deliberate foul play by very mean and sick people.

Even if the OP doesn't come back to read this, I wanted to post it for the benefit of others who may read this.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I WOULD CERTAINLY BE CAREFUL ABOUT LETTING A KITTEN OUTSIDE, ESPECIALLY IF HES NOT USED TO BEING OUTSIDE ON HIS OWN,
    THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT CAN DISTRACT A KITTENS ATTENTION.
    AND ONCE A KITTEN WANDERS OFF ITS SO EASY FOR HIM TO GET LOST.
    ARE YOU IN AN AREA WITH A LOT OF TRAFFIC AND ARE THERE A LOT OF DOGS AROUND THERE??

LITTLE KITTENS ARE SO VULNERABLE SO I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Saubona! Kunjani and welcome to PT! (Not sure I spelled those greetings right.) I must concur w/my PT friends regarding keeping your kitten indoors. In my opinion, humans are the worst enemy of all of cats. Cars, bad kids, cruel neighbors, the list is long as to what endangers a kitten, not to mention the diseases they can get if not properly immunized. And if you don't have your little sweetie altered, more kittens will be the result. I do realize, though, that each culture is different and perhaps outdoor cats are common in S. Africa. Talk to your vet as to when you can have your kitty altered. Most say not before 4 months and usually at 6 months old it's safe but each vet can differ in opinion. We'd love to see pix!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hello! I already posted a "welcome" in your thread in the Introductions.

I have 10 cats. All indoor. Three of them come outside WITH me, supervised, in the fenced in back yard. And they don't stay out long at all.

I lost one indoor / outdoor cat to the coyote who lives in the woods at the end of my block. Never again will I let them out without my supervision. Dazzle was 18 months old, and had been in and out all his life. He was focused on a mouse and the coyote was focused on HIM.

Please keep your boy safe. Cats can lead very full lives indoors, with a few toys, a climber or 2, and a place to watch out of a window.

I have 6 cats and the only one that goes outside is MooShoo, and only when he's on a harness or in his kitty stroller. The rest are strictly indoors. Please, keep your kitty indoors or on a harness when you do let him out.

But for your furbaby's safety, please keep him indoors.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If your kitten is young, you can train him to a leash and harness now, and he will associate it with "ooh, goody - when I wear this I get to go outside!" Has he been to the vet yet? A good general check-up, and any needed vaccinations (I don't know what's needed where you are) and the kitten should be good for supervised (on a long leash) trips outside! That way you are not only there to scare off any predators (certain hawks and owls regard a young kitten as "snack food"), but you can watch and make sure he doesn't pounce on and eat anything he shouldn't! Certain lizards have Hepatic Flukes that can then kill a kitten or dog who eats the lizard.
    I've Been Frosted

All of mine are INDOOR ONLY! And may I say, I have NEVER had a kitty that went outside that lived more than 6 months. My dad did not believe in indoor kitties, until that last one that got killed at only 3 months. He never let his cats outside again.

I went on my own knowing that I would NEVER allow mine outdoors, too many dangers.

I sure hope you will change your decision, and good luck.

Welcome to Pet Talk.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!