Thread: Homemade CHIA Pet!

Homemade CHIA Pet!

My friend is a recreation therapist who also teaches at the college level. She has her students come up with activities (known as "interventions") that they can lead in class and then each student has a library of interventions to do with their clients when they're out in the "real world" working as Rec Therapists. One of her students had them make these "chia pets". They filled old nylons (knee highs work best) with grass seed and dirt. Put the excess nylon in a cup of water to act as the roots and the ball sits on top of the cup. I happened to notice the picture of it when I was posting a picture of my cat, Bean and I thought it would be a cute summer project to pass along. I will take a picture of the "chia" with a full head of green hair as it has now and post that tomorrow. This would be a fun project to do with children

I will update with the hairy little chia tomorrow ...

Here is the hairy little guy. I forgot to mention that you may want to glue little eyeball pasties on him

That is so cute! I wonder if it would work with flower seeds? Hmmmm ... maybe I'll experiment.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Let us know

Oh how cute!!

I'll have to make one with my niece, she'd LOVE it!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Hey, that's cute! At first I thought you were making a joke and your cat was the Chia pet!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Well that just too cool.. The baby on the table is Adorable also..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Hey, that's cute! At first I thought you were making a joke and your cat was the Chia pet!
    HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Well that just too cool.. The baby on the table is Adorable also..

Thank You! That's Bean

Heh, this reminds me of the school project we did a few days ago in science class. We made things similar to your homemade Chi-Pet. The only difference was that ours was in a clear jar and had a piece of paper in water to give the grass water.

I've done this before. But I can't remember if it was when I was in school or when I taught in day care. Ugh, I'm getting too old.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)