Thread: Sick Sick Humans!!!!!!!!!

Sick Sick Humans!!!!!!!!!

Today we had three people out of work so I had to take over somebody elses position for the day. I went into the principal's office at the school and found out he had a pet box turtle in an aquarium. I heard it before I saw it!! This poor turtle was breathing so loudly from a respiratory infection I could here it across the room. It had no food in its cage and a little dish of water. The ridge in the center of its back shell is sticking out like a starved animal's backbone. Its skin was dry and cracked. Its nails were so long they curled in a circle. Its shell was so dry and the hinge part was cracked all the way across and peeling badly. It almost looked deep enough that the whole hinge could fall off should it crack any more. It only had a small heat rock, no lights, no tank cover really. Nasty old dried out wood chips for bedding, like the kind you find on a playground.

I'm calling the humane society first thing in the morning to see what they can do. I can't lose my job so I can't give them my name. I honestly think this turtle is so bad it should be put down. I cried after seeing this turtle. I don't care if there are one or two good teachers out there, every school pet I've seen was in horrible shape. I just wanted to scream "I hate teachers" and "teachers are sick sick human beings" and trash the whole school. I'm so sick of seeing things like this.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

How awful! Thank you for calling the Humane Society, I hope they, or Animal Control, can rescue the poor thing.
    I've Been Frosted

That is despicable!!!! First thing I'd do is get that poor turtle to a vet!!! When this dirtbag of a boss asks where the turtle is (he probably won't even notice) tell him and let him know that he's going to be fotting the bill.

Sorry, but there's NO excuse.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Well done you! I would have probably taken the poor thing away with me.......
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Kudos to you for taking care of this mess. Schools here have canned the habit of a school mascot as they were called. It was okay for a while, then everyone would tire of it and poor bunny, guinea pig or hamster would get to be so neglected they would get rid of it - never found out how.

Thank you for stepping up for this sweet turtle when it seems no one else would. Has anything happened with this regarding the Humane Society?

I Guess you were sent into that office for a reason...thank you for helping the poor box turtle who is obviously suffering

I guess the humane association does nothing, they told me to call the local police. The police said they would check in on the animal. I tried to emphasize that the animal does not have adequate access to water (the one law we have) and that the species could be illegal. I figure they might take it more seriously if the species is illegal. I found out iguanas and exotic boas are illegal here. No wonder I never see them for sale.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Thanks for doing your best to help the little thing.
    Good vibes headed up to Michigan in hopes that something is done.
    I find it neat that there are numerous animals illegal as pets in Michigan. I would think it would help discourage quite a few people from getting them just because they are 'cool'. In most places here in Arkansas pretty much nothing is illegal. Except piranhas. :]

I'm so glad you are stepping in to help the little turtle. Most class room pets I see are in bad shape too. Or tortured by the kids in the class. Animals can be a great educational tool, but not for most class rooms.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I guess the humane association does nothing
    Fat lot of use they are

I guess the humane association does nothing

Fat lot of use they are
    Not really their fault, they don't have power of anything to enforce animal laws. We don't have cruelty laws to enforce anyway. We don't have an actual animal control and we don't have any spca's.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    Not really their fault, they don't have power of anything to enforce animal laws. We don't have cruelty laws to enforce anyway. We don't have an actual animal control and we don't have any spca's.
    Any update on the poor little turtle?

I didn't get to speak to the police again and I haven't gotten a chance to sneak back into the office and check, but I'm told the turtle is still there. I'm trying to get the interest of the humane association to do some sort of campaign and of the school districts to ban class pets.

Did you call anyone from the Wildlife Association?? Sometimes vets are no help, unless you find one who specializes in the species. Bless you for taking care of him. Please keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!