Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend's Pit was STOLEN... [UPDATE: ABEL IS HOME!!!!!]

Friend's Pit was STOLEN... [UPDATE: ABEL IS HOME!!!!!]

A classmate of mine told me at school today that her pit was STOLEN out of her own backyard over the weekend... I know last week she caught some guys in the act of trying to steal him but her boyfriend came out with a shotgun and threatened to shoot them for trespassing, and of course they ran like mad...

I guess a family member didn't know not to leave him outside unsupervised, and within five minutes he was gone... my friend was at the store at the time.

She called the cops... and they pretty much told her it wasn't worth their time and they have more important things to worry about. Well I can't believe what is more important than ILLEGAL DOG FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!

I am FURIOUS that they won't do anything!!!

In the meantime she has put up posters offering a reward of $10,000 (yes, you read that correctly -- $10,000!!!!). It's half of her boyfriend's life savings, and the way she reasoned was they have to offer a bigger reward than the dog would be worth fighting.

I told her she needs to call the local Animal Control, all the local shelters, and the Humane Society of Missouri because they have a close-knit relationship with the police department about cases like this.

I'm just FURIOUS that someone was WATCHING them for the split second they weren't looking to steal him... he wouldn't hurt anyone either, this dog is as sweet as can be unless you're a stranger trying to cut him loose of his tie and trespassing in his yard...

Please everyone keep my friend and Abel in your thoughts that he returns home safely and that the police actually get off their lazy butts AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!!!!

Last edited by Jessika; 05-16-2008 at 09:03 PM.

facebook

How sad. She should try to speak to the chief of police, as well as the people you listed. She may have just gotten one person with an attitude, which is not representative of the whole force. At least I hope so. But posters, Animal Control - does her boyfriend remember anything about the people he scared off last time?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    How sad. She should try to speak to the chief of police, as well as the people you listed. She may have just gotten one person with an attitude, which is not representative of the whole force. At least I hope so. But posters, Animal Control - does her boyfriend remember anything about the people he scared off last time?
    Just a bunch of thugs from the inner city is all

And yes I know it isn't a representation of the whole force, which is why I'm really pushing her to contact Animal Control and HSMO because I KNOW they'll look into it

I just really hope Abel comes home or is returned home safe!!

facebook

Prayers that Abel is found soon.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Do you have pictures and a rough area of where she lives to cross post?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Prayers for Abel; and for his family, too.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132 View Post
    Do you have pictures and a rough area of where she lives to cross post?
    No pictures but I'm sure I can ask her for some tomorrow

I know she lives in the Alton/Belleville, Illinois area, but whereabout *exactly* I'm not sure.

Thank you, everyone!

facebook

Wow. Thats so disgusting that people think its ok to take someone else's pet.
    Even more disgusting to think about people around the STL area dog fighting.
    Such a stupid 'sport'....

Definitely contact all the Animal Controls and Humane Soc. She should email them all a flyer with a good pic of the poor dog and telephone number, so they could post it on door/waiting room.

I too hope Abel makes it home safe and sound.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Alright, I'll wait to see if you can get pictures then cross post onto a pit forum.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

They need to contact the news and papers! Make it an issue! Ugh... I hope they find him.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM View Post
    They need to contact the news and papers! Make it an issue! Ugh... I hope they find him.
    Thats actually a REALLY good idea, however I'm not sure how well it would be received since most people already see pits as being "evil" and "dangerous" dogs, I don't know if they would want to help "save" one, sad as that might sound. But on the other hand maybe it will help shed light on local dog fighting?

She lives in Alton, Illinois but the dog could very well have been taken across the state border into East Saint Louis, which would make more sense. He was stolen on May 10 from their shop. She did give me pictures today and a little more information on him... he's about 110-120 oound pit (yes - BIG boy!), his ears are cropped but look like it was done in someone's basement with a dull knife... as in, they are cropped very unevenly and look very distinct. He is a blue pit, but a little darker, kind of like a darker Weimaraner, and he has two white spots on his chest. And his name, of course, is Abel.

They are still offering a $10,000 reward for him and posting signs all over St Louis and the Illinois side of the river as well.

Unfortunately the pics I have are all black and white and printed, so I will have to scan them. They're also from her cell phone (she just gave me what she had on her, otherwise I would have to wait until tomorrow for better, color pics), and as my in-laws business is still "open" the comp with the scanner is being used so I will have to wait until around 6pm to have access to scan them.

She has contacted local shelters, rescues, Pit rescues, local law enforcement as well as a lot of other animal groups in the area hoping to spread word, and when I told her some of you were asking for pictures and wanted to help spread the word too, she was almost drawn to tears. So thank you guys, so much for wanting to help, I will get you the pictures ASAP!!

EDIT: OH ALSO, she has pictures of the guys who they scared off last week from trying to steal Abel that they lifted from a video, she sent them to her uncle who works in law enforcement in another state to "clean up" and make them easier to see, and she will give me those pictures too because even if they aren't the ones who stole Abel I'm pretty sure they have connections to the ones who did, or definitely know about Abel's whereabouts!!!

facebook

Oh how horrible!!!
    Maybe Denise (brody's mum) can do a reading and find something out that way.
    http://www.pawsitive-thinking.co.uk/
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Wow that is horrible. I hope the efforts of your friend work and she is able to get her pit back. How scary.
    Natasha Gruppo
    Mommy of Rocky, Chili Coco

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    No pictures but I'm sure I can ask her for some tomorrow

I know she lives in the Alton/Belleville, Illinois area, but whereabout *exactly* I'm not sure.

Thank you, everyone!

Crossposted to all the rescues in my old area, still have lots of contacts in the Alton area. There are several pit owners I contacted on Broadway also to keep an eye out for a "new" dog on the scene

K
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Quote Originally Posted by DrKym View Post
    Crossposted to all the rescues in my old area, still have lots of contacts in the Alton area. There are several pit owners I contacted on Broadway also to keep an eye out for a "new" dog on the scene

K
    Ohhh thank you!! I have a strong feeling it was brought to the St Louis side of the river, but the dog could still be anywhere in the St. Louis metropolitan area - Illinois side AND Missouri side.

facebook