View Poll Results: Where would you rather get a dog from?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The local Humane Society

7 58.33%
  • The local pet store

0 0%
  • A responsible breeder

5 41.67%
  • A breed rescue

0 0%

Thread: perky bouncy puppy hurting every1 in site

perky bouncy puppy hurting every1 in site

my dog, Cocoa, a 1 yr old beagle/fox terrier mix has a major jumping problem he loves to jump up and scratch people up. i read about a jump harness then preventing the dog from jumping. does it help? has any1 tried it on their dogs? does any1 have any other suggestions to curb the jumping? oh, and by the way Cocoa doesnt and refuses to learn sit-stay.

Crazy Dogs
    -me (the addicted dog lover who loves to help animals and puts an extremely hyper mutt through agility SUCCESSFULLY

Sounds like your dog might not see you as the alpha if it just refuses to listen. You have to establish yourself as the lead pack animal and your dog will listen a little better.

It only took about 2 hours to break my dog Seven from jumping on people after I brought him home from the shelter. Amy and I took him home and while he was on the leash, I had her walk just out of his range. When he went to jump on her, I just held the leash and gave a firm "no jumping". After a few times, he figured it out and doesn't have that problem anymore. He gets the look in his eye sometimes when he and I are out that he wants to, but he looks back at me and remembers that he isn't supposed to do it.

If your dog does it to you as well, when he gets in the pouncing position, put your hand out, palm toward him and give a firm "no" Your hand should be the barrier. Keep in mind, younger dogs usually have an insane amount of energy. Taking the pup for long walks or runs usually tire them out.

much luck

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Cookie (Golden Retriever) did it too, all the time. It drove us nuts! We did the same leash trick, and now she hardly ever does it. We taught her to do it on command though, so every now and then she can come and give me a kiss when I ask her.

Re: perky bouncy puppy hurting every1 in site

Originally posted by an_agility_mutts_mom
    oh, and by the way Cocoa doesnt and refuses to learn sit-stay.

Crazy Dogs

This kind of statement drives me crazy!!! It is not that she refuses, it is that she doesn't understand what is expected of her. The best way to shape the sit behavior is one of the simplest things for a dog to understand.

Take a piece of kibble in between your index and middle finger of your right hand. Slowly show her the kibble by placing your hand about one inch from her nose. Slowly move your hand over her head. Her natural reaction is to follow the kibble or treat. As soon as her butt hits the floor you give her the treat. The timing is VERY important. It has to be immediately when her butt hits the ground. Repeat this several times. When you think she can do it consistently then change the food to your left hand and motion with your right still. If she follows your hand back then immediately take the food and move it from your left hand to the right hand and reward her. Do not reward from the left hand as this will confuse the issue.

Once she is consistently sitting with the motion of your hand, you can put a verbal cue to it such as sit while you motion with your hand. It is essential to shape the behavior before putting a cue word to it.

If she "refuses to listen" then I would withhold her food from her until she realizes that she has to listen if she wants fed. I have never seen a dog who went longer than two days without working in order to eat. Usually missing one meal is enough to get them food motivated to learn what you want them to do. Some people may feel this is harsh but actually in the pack environment it is a very natural consequence.

Maybe you should consider going to a trainer. I have had lots of problems learning to communicate with my golden, Jake. As a result of this, he pulls, jumps, lunges, ignores me, etc. Our trainer has showed me very clear ways of teaching Jake the behavior that is expected of him. I always knew Jake was a good dog, but he couldn't read my mind.

The class is once a week, plus "homework". In just a few short weeks, Jake has become the model dog for the class (I'm a proud momma). We have a great instructor at our local Petsmart and it is only $10 a week. The class has about 4 dogs on average. I would definately advise looking into dog trainers in your area. You and your dog will be happier and less stressed out, once you learn what is expected of each other. Good luck and remember that every dog can learn the basics of obedience (sit, stay, heal, etc.).

Try doing a search of these boards for "jumping"; I tried that and found quite a few interesting tidbits. When Murphy jumps on us, we cross our arms over our chest and look away, saying "OFF." We do not interact with him until he's down on all fours again, and then we praise and pet him. When we're outside walking, we hold his leash tight when he tries to jump on someone and say "OFF."

They usually grow out of it. A freind of mine had her lab/retriever mix spayed last summer and it really calmed her down. We called the dog "Bull" because she was so strong and would jump on on everyone and knock them down. It might be something that would work for you.