Thread: Adorable puppy but barking

Adorable puppy but barking

This is cross-post with Dog Behavior as I'd love to get some advice.

I have neighbors who live right behind me. My family room faces towards their backyard. They are a very nice family who just moved in about a month ago and we’ve had a couple nice chats. They also have a Golden Retriever puppy whose about 3 to 4 months old and absolutely adorable!

What is happening is that he a pastor and they are at church a couple nights during the week. They leave “Lily” out in the back yard during that time. She of course, wants attention and barks and barks. I go in to watch TV at about 6:30 and at 9:30, Lily is still out there barking. I had already spoken with the wife about Lily barking all afternoon one day and she was very understanding. They are not neglectful at all with her and I can hear the whole family in the backyard at times playing with her.

After the 3rd night of her barking for hours, I wanted to go talk to them but they weren’t home yet and I needed to go to bed. I wrote them a note which I hope came across as non-accusatory and just asked them to put Lily inside when they’re gone in the evening. I did include my name and number. Was there a better way to handle this? Also, puppies are going to bark and I understand that. What do owners do with their puppies when their little and barking?

I can't think of a better way of handling this than how you did it. I think you were correct in that putting Lily inside would probably resolve the problem. Personally even without the barking, I don't think I would be comfortable leaving a young puppy outside while I was gone from the property.

Maybe you could give your neighbors a good dog training book that would address this issue (as well as others). They definitely need a little education when it comes to raising a puppy. A book I often give as a gift to new dog owners is *Good Owners, Great Dogs* by Brian Killcommons and Sarah Wilson. I don't have a copy in my house right now as I keep giving any I have away as a gift, so I can't say for sure that they address this issue but I think it would.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Does anyone in the family use a computer? Suggest they 'boast' about their new dog here! AND let them know they can get ideas for behaviour issues like barking.

I like the giving them a book suggestion a LOT.

Also remind them, when you talk to them, that a puppy left outside alone can be stolen - not something they want. And even if she barks while they are gone and she is inside, she'll be safer, and the barking will be well-muffled by the walls! Maybe give them a Kong toy, and explain filling it with peanut butter will also keep her busy, as well as not barking! I am glad they all play with her, and seem to be good pet people, if somewhat inexperienced with the "joys" of puppyhood! There's nothing quite so piercing as an "I am BORED!" puppy bark!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    There's nothing quite so piercing as an "I am BORED!" puppy bark!
    AMEN!

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope they take my note to heart!

I used to leave mine in a crate with a big bone to chew. As they would get older I started leaving the crate open with no bone but some toys and it worked great.