Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Had A BAD day at work, got bit by a dog & ended up at the ER ***UPDATES**

I Had A BAD day at work, got bit by a dog & ended up at the ER ***UPDATES**

We were SUPPOSED to leave on our annual mushroom hunting trip today after work......BUT........

While I'm at work today, I got bit by a dog, no warning, just SNAP right on my finger. Darn thing wouldn't stop bleeding. The receptionist called my mom, who had just left from her errands 1/2 hr away, while I headed over to the ER clinic. Mom met me there just as the dr. came in.

Turns out I needed SEVEN stitches. He didn't seem to think there was any further damage. The stitching wasn't bad as I couldn't feel it (I've never had stitches before). BUT man alive did the numbing hurt!!!!! I screamed and cried like a 6 year old, (I HATE needles) but I didn't move a bit.

They had to give me a shot of valium to calm me down, freeze the area before they could give me a shot, and the dr. was doing some kind of acupressure and relaxation technique which helped some. As it was I'm sure the people outside could hear me cry. Once they got me numb they let me be propped up to watch him sew and I was checking out his sutures and needles compared to what we use at work. LOL I whined about not having my camera to take pix of it, so the nurse whipped out the cell phone and took a pix and text it to me. LOL

Now I have a splint on my finger for the next week, antibiotics to take, and the lidocaine is wearing off, and I have to type one handed. Needless to say we aren't leaving for our mushroom trip until tomorrow because they said I can't drive because of the valium shot.

So how was your day? LOL

Here's a few pix of the splint.

Here's the one the nurse took.....Graphic, but difficult to see well..

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Last edited by Catlady711; 05-19-2008 at 10:07 PM.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Ouch! Being a dog groomer, we run the same risk every day. You just never know! Fortunately, I've never been bit hard enough to break the skin, but quite a few of the other girls have.

So sorry about your finger! Get better soon!

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

I guess you did have a bad day! I'm sorry. I hope the worse is over for you now and you can enjoy your trip tomorrow.

From Decker with Love

Thank you for your well wishes.

Actually I've been very fortunate, that in 7 years working there this is only the second time I've been bitten. The other time was by a cat and only required antibiotics and a tetanus shot, no stitches that time. That was in either 2003 or 2004.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I can relate.

4 weeks ago, I was making breakfast and cut my ring finger with
    a knife. The cut was deep in the shape of a smile and I got down to the
    Tendon and cut some nerves. The worse part for me was the numbing shot
    too. (I am such a woosh) I could not watch the Doc put the stitches in.

I was careless, and in your case their was nothing you could
    do to prevent the dog bite.
    Sorry you had to miss your mushroom hunting trip.
    Sending many many good healing wishes for your finger to heal
    perfectly.

----<---<--<{(@

OW!!! I can sympathise. *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

OMG!!! I'm so sorry for your pain. I got bit by a pregnant stray. There's no feeling like it. I was on a very strong antibiotic rather than rabies shots. It was a provoked attack on my part.

Hope they gave you something more for pain.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Ouch! I am so very sorry you had the experience. Ya know, it would have been OK to go through life without first hand knowledge of this one!

I am terrible in hospitals too. I've had the acupressure and relaxation, and the calming shot. Usually I end up passing out.

Prayers that you heal quickly.

THE FOUND CAT TRIO ARE SORRY THAT YOU HAD A BAD DAY, AND THEY WISH YOU COULD CURL UP IWTH THEM, SO THIER PURRFECT PURRING WOULD HELP YOU FEEL BETTER.
    WE ALL HOPE THAT YOUR OUCHIE FINGER HEALS UP VERY SOON.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Yowch! Your entire hand looks soe! I hope you have some good pain meds once the Lidocaine wears off.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

OUCH! I'm sorry. Blah.. those aren't always fun to go through!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I'm so sorry that this happened. I hope you'll heal up quickly and feel better soon.

Ouch. That looks so painful. I hope you have a better day today.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

OUCH!!

~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Uhh, that must have hurt! I hope you'll feel better soon and your finger will be back to normal.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.