Thread: Odd Sleeping Behavior in My Senile Old Dog

Threaded View

Odd Sleeping Behavior in My Senile Old Dog

Keito is getting up there in age. I'm not sure how old he is, but I've had him over thirteen years, and he was grown when I got him. I'd say he's at least fifteen. He is going deaf and getting a bit thin, but other than that he's in good health.

Keito has always slept on his dog bed in my bedroom. No one else would dare sleep on his bed. A few months ago, I started noticing him sleeping on the floor instead of in his bed. Hmmm ...

So, I washed his bed and fluffed it up. He's a very clean dog. Still, he wouldn't sleep in it. So, I bought a new bed of the same type. No. I bought a egg crate foam bed. Still no. I even bought an inflatable air mattress type bed. Still no. I tried fluffy beds, firm beds, I tried moving the bed. Nothing.

Weird. One would think a bony old dog would want to sleep on his soft, comfy bed, instead of curled up in a pathetic-looking little ball on the floor.

Anyone else had a strange sleeping behavior change like this?

Attaching a few pics of His Royal Highness. Speaking of sleeping, here's a picture of one of my former rescue dogs, Basil, using Keito as a pillow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keito3.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	39119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keito2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	39120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeitoandBasil.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	39121  
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien