Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Gets His Teeth Cleaned On 5-5-08- Update On PTH BLOOD TEST Results 5-13-08

Storm Gets His Teeth Cleaned On 5-5-08- Update On PTH BLOOD TEST Results 5-13-08

Hi, when Storm went in for his annual exam his teeth and gums didn't look good. He has also not been eating very well for the last 2 weeks but he seems to be doing better today. His bloodwork came back fine except for part of it. My vet e-mailed me this about his results:
    HI.
    Storm's blood work is similar to last year when we checked. His calcium is still slightly elevated, like last year. Maybe we should check his PTH level ( a hormone that controls calcium metabolism). His thyroid level is normal. I think it is okay to schedule a dental. We could draw the blood for the pth level the day of the dental, since he has to be fasted for 24 hours.
    -Rachel

--
    Rachel S. Boltz, MS, DVM

He's scheduled for his dental cleaning on Monday May 5th. Since he has to fast for 24 hours, I'll be dropping him off at around 11am tomorrow. They'll call me on Monday to let me know how everything went and let me know when I can pick him up. This may explain why he's been so grumpy lately. My big blue has probably been in pain for quite a while now. He's 12 years old so I'm very conerned about him being anesthetized. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 05-13-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Good luck Storm! Hoping for a speedy recovery so that you can get back to impressing the ladies with your sparkling whites!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Aw, try not to worry. My Pidge is nearing 19 now and she had her teeth cleaned last year, was anesthetized w/no problems whatsoever. Storm will feel so much better. We'll get those prayers going though, for both of you.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

KAK,

It's good that Storm is having the dental procedure as it is vital to his overall health.

As for Mom ... well I know your concern. Anytime they have to be on anesthetic is a worry. I'm sure the procedure will go well and he'll feel so much better.

Try not to worry too much and give that boy a big hug for me.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

It will be so wonderful when the dental is over and done with and Storm can begin to feel good again. I'm sure everything will go well and he will be home with you soon! I hope his appetite picks up this coming week.

All my best wishes that Storm's teeth cleaning goes well! He'll feel better afterwards, I'm sure.

Fister may have to go for dental soon, and I too worry about the anesthesia, but they'll have to have it, or the vet will end up in hospital. I usually ask my vet to give him as little as possible.

We're sending positive thoughts.

Fister and Randi

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Tigris and Filou send their best wishes to Storm and say they know exactly what is going to happen and it is an offence against cat independence!

One thing that I do like about my current vet's office is that he has an anesthesiologist working alongside him. Until transferring all my records to his office, I didn't realize that many vets administer the anesthesia themselves. I like the fact that my vet does the surgery and the anesthesiologist does her job. That way my vet can focus on getting the job done quickly. Perhaps this is the case in your vet's office, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Good luck Storm. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

I'll say try not to worry Tracey but I know that is easier said than done.

From Decker with Love

Thanks everyone. I'm sure that everything will go well. I've never had any of my cats teeth cleaned at this vet clinic before because I've only been going to this vet for a little over a year now so I don't know what to expect. I was told that the vet techs will be doing the cleaning and I scheduled him for a Monday because this is my vets surgery day so she'll be able to oversee everything.

Storm has been crying for food so I know he's hungry. I put him in his carrier while I fed my other furkids their first small feeding this morning and poor Starr saw the carrier and he hid because he thought it was for him. Little does he know that both he and Sky will be going to visit their holistic vet later today for rechecks. Yes, it's a cat vet day today. I'll update you probably tomorrow evening to let you know how everything went with Storm's cleaning.

You have had your hands full w/furkids today, KAK. I hope this have gone well with you (I'm off to read your next post next.)

Warm regards,
    me and the furkids

PS Storm is in our prayers. ~~~ healthy vibes ~~~ too!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

How did Storm's day go today - I hope everything is fine and your boy is on the mend
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

How did everything go today??? Charlie and Jamie are overdue for theirs also, they should be going some time this next week or two.

facebook

Any update?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get home with Storm until 9pm last night. By the time I fed my cats and myself and did a few other things I was ready for bed and just too tired to get on the computer.

My vet called me yesterday to let me know that everthing went well. Storm had moderate dental tartar with severe gingivitis. Two minor,loose teeth were extracted to eliminate oral pain and infection. His remaining healthy teeth were ultrasonically scaled, polished and treated with antibacterial oral rinse. He doesn't need any medication and he can eat normally.

My vet noticed that he had an ulcerative gingiva where one of his back teeth had been extracted before. She sent this out for a gingival biopsy to the lab for a hisopathology. She'll let me know the results in about 3-5 days and I'll also know the results of his PTH blood test in about 7 days. Please pray that these are both normal.

I was sent home with some oral hygiene rinse that I now need to use on Storm every day to help prevent the buildup of tartar and to help control gingivitis. I've used this before but then I became too lazy to keep up the treatment. I've been a bad meowmie. I'll try to use this on all of my cats every night.

Storm is back to normal and he's eating very well. Even though Sunny wants to become the alpha cat, he seemed to miss Storm on Sunday night. He kept cat calling and I think he was trying to look for Storm. I even think that Pearl missed him and Starr didn't have any one to give head butts to. I'm so glad that everything went well and that he's now home and doing well. Thanks again for all of your prayers and concerns.