Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Prong Collar Advocate

Official Prong Collar Advocate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIKE WOW. If I had know 5yrs ago what I know now I would never have dissed the prong collar. Talk about a totally different reaction. Here is todays adventure.

Put the halti on Ajax to drive to Lethbridge to get the prong collar. As soon as we got outside he started to drag me around. Which is what he has been doing since he discovered he could. All happy and so on. Anyway get the big lug into the car and go to one of the pet stores in Lethbridge. Get there and fit one of the medium collars for him. We had to take out on of the links to get it to sit properly. Which is fine since it means we have an extra link to add if his next gets any bigger(hope not). Anyway he gets up from his sit and attempts to pull me over to the puppy snacks(they have a ton of open bins at this store at his level.) As soon as the slack went tight and the collar tightened a bit he got the strangest look on his face and backed up to my side and looked at me. I didn't have to correct him or say a thing. Talk about shocked. So when I went to walk forward he tried agian to take me to the snacks. Same thing happened. I couldn't stop grinning. As soon as he sat at my side he got a ton of praise and treats. It was like magic. I know no training aid is magic but you all know what I mean.

I walked him around the store and any time he would got to sniff or inspect anything I would give the quick correction you all describe(probably not as good as you prong experienced people are but as fast as I could. Just a quick flick and release). and say leave it and he would instantly leave it and LOOK AT ME. WOW. My almost 10 month old bone head puppy was acting smart. I kept walking him around and praising him till I didn't even have to hold the leash(attached to me at my waist). He walked besided me and looked at me almost all the time and esspecially when I praised him. And was doing the automatic sits when I stop.

Well I then took him out to the side walk and walked him out there for a while. After a few corrections when people would walk by or he wanted to sniff something he was back to being just as good in the pet store. SHOCK here. So then we took him to a mall that is across the street. We didn't go in the businesses just walked the mall and went into the bathroom. Agian same thing. Taught him what a bench was. So within 15 minutes I could say Ajax Bench and he would look for one and take me too it and sit next to it. YIPPY. Success. He walked the mall with a few corrections at first and then after that he was great. Walking on a loose lead and not attempting to sniff things and so on.

From there we went to a big warehouse petstore and bought some treats(I ran out). There were lots of dogs in there. So he at first tried to do his excited LETS PLAY barking. So a few corrections and it was down to some whining and then he was ignoring them except for watching them. WOW. We stayed there for about 30 minutes letting people pet him and training him.

From there we went to another mall. Agian only walked through it not going into any businesses. But the fun part there is they had a S&R booth up. One of the ladies there just retired her white Shepherd form S&R and wanted to know if we would have any pups in about 2 or 3 years. I get her my website and then hubby signed up to be a part of them. They suggested being on ground crew for a few years before getting a dog. Which is perfect timing since it will be a few years till we get anymore dogs or have a litter. They all loved Ajax and he stayed in his sit the entire time we were there tallking which was a good 20-25 minutes. Even with all the people stopping to pet him thinking he was a S&R dog(even though he was wearing his Service Dog In Training bandana). They had another S&R dog there too so they just assumed he was one to and the public gave him a ton of attention which he soaked right up. THen we finished walking the mall and went to a park. Agian he was well behaved as we walked the park(mainly so he could potty, we were out and about for a good 4 hours) hen we went home.

He slept all the way home. The collar is off and he is happy as can be. But even with the collar on he was still his happy self wanting attention, wagging his tail, always wearing his huge happy grin. I am in heaven. We haev a lot of work to do now with this collar but I think it is the aid we needed with him.

Ajax is now on his way.
    Nicole

I'm glad you kept an open mind & tried the prong collar. I swear by it,
    especially for strong dogs who can just pull you all over the place. Slight
    tugs were all I ever needed to control Buddy on walks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am so glad you posted this Nicole. I have been meaning to ask how a prong collar should fit. We have one that Bruce had for DJ, even though I never saw him use it on him. I was thinking about trying it on Zoee, but I want it to fit properly. Can anyone tell me how it should fit? Or should I take it and Zoee somewhere for them to fit it on her?
    It's great to hear how successful it was for you and Ajax. Zoee drags me to the park, barking her head off. This may be my answer as well. She just paws the gentle leader off her nose (although, that's probably not fitted correctly either, sigh).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The way I was told to fit it is that it needs to rest in the same place as a show collar so just up behind the ears. Not low down the neck like most collars. And it needs to be snug enough not to slid down. Not so tight that you can't put a finger or so under but snug enough to stay up there and not slide down loose on the neck. Hope this helps.

That is how it fits Ajax.
    Nicole

After taking a lot of slack for using a prong on Cody, I was glad I stuck to my guns. He was so powerful, I'm lucky my arms are still attached to my shoulders. I got the correct fit, and only used a tug sparingly. because he caught on so fast too. Within a few months, he walked with a regular collar and leash. Not always a perfect gentleman of course, but it seemed that quick tugs did the trick most of the time. Anyway, sounds like you and Ajax had a great time! What a smartie pants!

I've been Boooo'd!

One of my neighbors started using a prong collar on her puppy. My friend/other neighbor/neighbors room mate ( ), also, began using a prong collar. She demonstrated it on my arm and there was absolutely no pain, discomfort, etc. I , still, probably would not use one on Spanks (she is only tiny, after all. not hard to correct on leash).

I'm an advocate too after seeing how well it worked for my aunt's pit/viszla mix. He's a very bright, eager to please dog who gets ahead of himself sometimes. The first few times I dog-sat him were hell, and my arms were sore for days afterwards...since the prong collar came into the picture walks are a pleasure, and he definitely gets more of them now!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I too am a strong believer in the prong collar! It made walks enjoyable with Brick and several other rescues. It's like a light goes off in their head saying "OH! I'm suppose to do it this way. Yes ma'm! Whatever you say ma'm!"
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
    The way I was told to fit it is that it needs to rest in the same place as a show collar so just up behind the ears. Not low down the neck like most collars. And it needs to be snug enough not to slid down. Not so tight that you can't put a finger or so under but snug enough to stay up there and not slide down loose on the neck. Hope this helps.

That is how it fits Ajax.
    Nicole
    Yes, this helps. Thank you Nicole. I'll give it a try next week.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Nicole and Ajax, I'm glad you had a good outing! And it sounds like you made another fan, too. Great job following all of mom's instructions. Maybe she will give you some pets for me.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Add me to the list! I MUST use a prong collar, Rita is pure muscle! Along with her muscles, she extremly agressive twards other dogs. I walk her at heel at all times, and use the prong collar for corrections. It's worked wonders with her!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I use the prong too, but I have found that a properly fitted choke/slip is stronger than the properly fitted prong. I use prong for everyday and the choke for obedience training.

Niņo & Eliza

LOVE the prong - without it I don't know if I would ever be able to walk Roscoe! Now he's a gentleman even off the prong

Prong Collar

Hello PT!
    I'm a frequent lurker and a new poster.
    When our rottweiler, Nick, was in obedience training
    our instructor called prong collars "Rottweiler Power Steering".
    We called it his "big boy collar" and he knew when he put it on he was
    going on a ride. He loved it, of course.

Sequoia has had dominance issues with other dogs. We finally tried a prong collar on her and the next dog she met instead of lunging and snarling she sat at Brian's side and looked up at him from just a quick correction. It isn't just the action of the collar either. I think it is also that the collar allows the hubby to feel in better control of Sequoia so that he isn't nervous that she will get away from him and bit another dog. So he is more confidant also. Just a couple of weeks ago she walked through a group of dogs that were within a foot of her and one of them was a growling mama shepard at a vet clinic and she never even lifted a lip.

Denyce