Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurray for small dogs!!!

Hurray for small dogs!!!

All of my life I have owned large dogs, mostly black labs. I am now the PROUD owner
    of an eight week old Yorkshire Terrier. I've
    had Dallas (her name) for 5 days now and she has already jumped to the #1 spot on my favorite dog list! IF you've never had the pleasure of raising a small breed dog, I highly recommend it!!!

I have small dog, and her fur is so fine that her breed is often called the Cuban Silk Dog, but she has so much and it stands almost straight out from her body and makes her look twice her size. It's much different when she takes a bath. Poco (which means little one in spanish) is a Havanese dog. Her ancestors, in about the 1500s-1600s, were circus dogs and performed for kings. They are very intelligent and incredibly easy to teach tricks to. Poco hs around 50-word "vocabulary". In other words, she is a perfect small dog.

I too use to think that large dogs were the best, but that was before I owned a rat terrier. They are the most wonderful, most fun breed I've ever owned and I have had several different breeds over the years. Most rat terrier owners feel the same; once you have owned one, you are hooked forever!!

Ditto! Small dogs have such character. As a lover of ALL dogs, and only previously owned precious golden retrievers, I could not be more in love with our girls, Chenin a 3 year old Bichon Frise and Skeeter a year old Yorkshire Terrier. They are the best of pals, constant companions, yet have completely different personalities. Chenin, the sensitive, protective one and Skeeter the outgoing, playful clown, ALWAYS with a toy in her mouth ready for fun and games. By the way, two dogs are NOT twice the work, they are ten times the joy!

I'm generally a big dog fan but Saturday I added a miniature doxie to my pack. Lily had been surrendered to the pound when her owners divorced. She was so lost I knew she needed me. So now I've got a little shadow-after only 1 day. Anyone with doxie experience I'd appreciate any tips-right now other that Lil, my "smallest" dog is a 65 lb basset. Thanks. Judy

I agree that small dogs rule! I have two adorable chihuahuas, and they certainly aren't the yappy, obnoxious dogs so many people make them out to be. They love to cuddle and are extremely playful, and at 5 pounds and 4 pounds, they both fit on my lap and jump up whenever I sit down! They're extememly friendly, and the downside of that trait is that they drag me toward any stranger they see along the road and expect that person to pick them up and kiss them. They certainly brighten up our household, and everyone who meets them falls in love!!!

I agree that small dogs rule! I have two adorable chihuahuas, and they certainly aren't the yappy, obnoxious dogs so many people make them out to be. They love to cuddle and are extremely playful, and at 5 pounds and 4 pounds, they both fit on my lap and jump up whenever I sit down! They're extememly friendly, and the downside of that trait is that they drag me toward any stranger they see along the road and expect that person to pick them up and kiss them. They certainly brighten up our household, and everyone who meets them falls in love!!!

hi i'm goin to g]et a small dog too a toy poodle=) well i also lived my life with big dogs like dobermans and labs

I have a small dog- shes a jack russel terrier. the only bad thing about having a small dog is that you always step on them, like i accidently did a couple of minutes ago. oops. -mallerie

I think small dogs are totally the bomb(best).I have a Cavaleir King Charles Spaniel named K.C.

I love those big dogs! But, the Dog of the Day today, Bacon, stole my heart!!! There is hope yet that I can find a small dog to meet my needs!

I always thought I loved big dogs almost exclusively. That was until I fell in love with the dachshund breed. What wonderful, smart, stubborn, challenging little dogs they are. My only wish is that I could do agility with them..

I love my Jack Russell Terrier & Chihuahua mix. Her name is Jackson, and she is only 10 lbs. She has all of the great looks of a JR, and the loving characteristices of a chihuahua.

I'd recommend her for anyone, but you do need some energy during the puppy months.

Small dogs are the best! O.k., so wrestling is probably not a good idea unless you have a terrier, but everything else is much, much better. Try getting a GSD or Golden comfortably in your lap sometime (not that they won't try, the jealous creatures!)

My Sophie is just the most wonderful baby (dog) in the whole world. I am a big guy, but I would not trade her for any big dog ever. Personally, I think most big dog people have serious insecurities, but that is just my opinion...

Anyone else notice that small dogs rarely have as many comments in the "Today's Dog" forum as big dogs? We small dog people have to support each other!

Originally posted by Sophie's Daddy..."Personally, I think most big dog people have serious insecurities, but that is just my opinion..."

Sophie's Daddy......Them's fightin' words!!!!
    You are incorrect about the insecurities issue, in fact, I am so secure that I won't even bother to challenge you! So there!

Oh, and by the way, if you look at who is replying to Today's Dog, you will see that many of the large dog owners sing the praises of both large and small dogs. All dogs are beautiful no matter what size!

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited November 17, 2000).]