Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found baby bird *PICS ADDED*

sorry I´m not a greater help...

his crop (neck: food storing area) seems empty... and a baby bird (at least Cockatiels and budgies) seem to have a "bulge" when fed....

also juts getting pin feathers (those lil spkikey things, which will bloom into feathers) should mean he´s about 10 days old or so because he hasn´t opened his eyes yet....

yo can try formula from a pet store or even pellets mashed up (zupreem, roudybush or whatever yo can find)... and a vet or avian vet is way better

you can try here at tailfeathersnetwork dot com slash community... its an all bird site and people might help more as they are 100 into birds and might also recognize what kind he is... from what I see he´s not a parrot or a pigeon... but he´s big to be a small bird (for his age)... a baby tiel sized he is in comparision maybe even bigger if he´s around 10 days

NOTE: I´m not sayng anyone here wouldn´t be helpful... just that there are tons more people birdwise and ASAP help is what she needs
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

My neighbor took him over to a bird enthusiasts house yesterday afternoon.

He has heat lamps and all things which will give the chick a better shot.

Fingers crossed this little one makes it.

Absolutely! Prayers are continuing for this little guy.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm sorry I have not been on,

Glad the bird is in good care now.

It could be anything from a grackle to a starling, only time will let you know.

If you can here is a recipe for the baby bird that you can give to the bird enthusiast.

I know we are not certain it's a starling but this will do very well.

It's from online.

Hand feeding Mixture.

Recipe: Handfeeding Mixture

1 cup soaked dog/cat food
    1/4 cup of applesauce
    1 hard boiled egg
    Avian vitamins (follow dosage on package)
    Around 750 mg calcium (I use Tums Smooth Dissolve tablet) ground to powder and dissolved in a little water.
    Water

Mix all ingredients together, and add enough water to make it the consistency of cooked oatmeal. The above formula can be divided into portions and frozen. This formula works well for baby House Sparrows and some other passerines. Only leave this food at room temperatures for an hour or so, as it can spoil.

Handfeeding How-to's

When feeding small babies, use something flat such as McDonald's coffee stirrers, chop sticks, popsicle sticks, or a straw with the end cut off to make a scoop. The handle of a plastic spoon works well for older birds. Caution: Do not use small items such as toothpicks or Q-Tips, as it is very easy for a baby to swallow them.

I like to occasionally add small amounts of different foods to the formula to acquaint them with how different foods taste (foods such as some mashed sweet potatoes or carrots). You may use any of the jars of baby foods such as peas, beans, sweet potatoes, etc., and the jars of strained chicken are also appropriate. If adding baby food, add only a small amount of it to the handfeeding recipe above, and remember that baby food is not a necessity but is optional.

A baby starling's food should be fed at room temperature. A baby without feathers will need to be fed every 20 to 30 minutes over a period of at least 12 hours a day. A healthy baby should start begging for food after you have fed him a few times. To help get a feeding response try tapping on the container he is in, or tapping lightly on the top of his beak. Older babies will take longer to start gaping, and may need to be force fed a few times before they come to accept you as a source for food. I feed from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Babies starting to feather need to be fed every 45 minutes or so, and a fully feathered baby can
    go an hour or two without feeding. Feed as much as the baby wants. You will not overfeed him, as he will stop begging for food when he is full.

Never give a baby bird earthworms or fishing worms! Such worms can carry parasites that are harmful to baby birds.

I think pigeons are fuzzier at hatching. If it is a starling here is a good website http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm I don't know if this baby is quite ugly enough to look like a starling and I don't know if you have those where you live.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Jackie,

Did the neighbor's friend give any indication as to what kind of bird it might be???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!