Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Prayer Thread for Zippy-Kat's *MOM*

I checked a couple of sites, and it seems there are some treatments for collapsed lungs...NMM, I hope you don't need any of these and that your lungs are all better soon!

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/coll...treatments.htm

Treatment list for Collapsed lung:

The list of treatments mentioned in various sources for Collapsed lung includes the following list. Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment or change in treatment plans.

* Hospitalization
    * Oxygen
    * Chest tube - to release trapped air.
    * Pain medications
    * Watchful waiting - for very mild cases of partial lung collapse.
    * Surgery
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My Dear, Sweet Friend,

I've been thinking about you and your family like crazy this past few weeks. ((((((hugs)))))) Prayers are continually sent up for Mom and you...and the rest of the family.

Your mom's hunger and thoughts of food is a GOOD sign. When I'm at the "hotel", I can always tell if/when I'm getting better by if I even noticed my last meal or sip of water was a week prior. I would get hungry as my insides healed.

I know she's dealing with more than 'just' tummy stuff, but GOOD NEWS is always helpful and hopeful. Glad the NG tube is out - those nasty little things, and that's she's up and walking...and getting her reward popcicles.

Keeping you all in my prayers.

Love, Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

More prayers from Florida. This has to be so hard for all of you. Bless you all. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thank you all, reply-ers and lurkers alike, for following this thread.

I went to visit Mom today but got a late start because I FOUND a HORSE!

When I went to feed my horse (I board her), there he was schmoozing with the resident mustang. Had never laid eyes on this guy before and really had no clue what to do with him. (Oh how I wish you could just check tags and call an owner!) After a small game of "catch me if you can," I got a halter on him and stuck him in a roundpen. Anyways...

Today was a good day. Mom had a "bag o' blood" because she had a "borderline low" RBC count. We walked the hallways quite a bit, talked quite a bit, and (towards the end) cried quite a bit. (I didn't want to say goodbye -wanted to stay- and started crying. She cried because I cried and also because she's homesick.)

Lab reports came back and she is showing NEGATIVE for the c-diff bacteria. *yay*

Her oxygen levels are up, too. She no longer has to wear her oxygen thinger 24/7 - now it's just as needed (bedtime and occasionally after walks).

She had a milkshake and kept it down.

All in all, a very good day.

Oh yes, and a good day for the "stray," too. The barn owners found his owner. Three horses total got out last night; two went one way and he went the other.

woot! so glad to hear this!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

YAY - the horse found his owner, and your mom is improving in many areas.

Does not having to wear the oxygen mean her lungs are not collapsing any more?

Great news that there is no more c-difficile! YIKES - that is a REALLY nasty bug, one of the "Super" bugs I think. THANK GOD it's gone.

I hope your mom is home soon...if she keeps improving like this, it won't be long.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I checked a couple of sites, and it seems there are some treatments for collapsed lungs...NMM, I hope you don't need any of these and that your lungs are all better soon!

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/coll...treatments.htm

Treatment list for Collapsed lung:

The list of treatments mentioned in various sources for Collapsed lung includes the following list. Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment or change in treatment plans.

* Hospitalization
    * Oxygen
    * Chest tube - to release trapped air.
    * Pain medications
    * Watchful waiting - for very mild cases of partial lung collapse.
    * Surgery
    Actually a collapsed lung in my medical opinion (which is to say how Its explained to me in the medical setting) is considered this
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/colla...article_em.htm

a PNEUMOTHORAX which is actually a hole in the lung. Can be caused by some people taking a deep breath, (also called spontaneous) or a traumatic puncture.
    I'm sure Mom's lungs were getting heavy with fluids, (her legs were swelling as well), her inactivity and inability to stand up and walk around. Laying in one spot for a long amount of time. Therefore that was the predisposition of the pneumonia they were afraid of. They may have used the term collapsing but actually Pneumonia and a Collapsed lung are vastly different things.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Even the other site I was on described it...I just posted the treatments that were usually tried.

Zippy had said it was both, I think - but that's understandable. It's better that it was "just" pneumonia, as that can be more easily treated.

I just hope she is home with her daughter and husband soon! (And little Grace, the kitten nurse! )

Tonya, I'm so glad to hear that your mom is doing much better. She and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

You're never too old to want/need your mother.

Collapsed lung, pneumothorax, pneumonia.... I don't know. Collapsed lung and pneumonia were what the doctors/nurses said, so that's what I repeated.

Today, the doctors allowed her to have small amounts of food and she was able to keep it down. We walked and walked and walked and she was good. Still have to do the o2 at night. But they said that it looks as if she will be able to GO HOME Sunday or Monday!!

The oncologist came in today (surprised us because he was suppose to be leaving for vacation) and said that they may not do any more chemo, just plow ahead to radiation. I forget exactly how he phrased it but, essentially, the first 3 chemo treatments are the most important in terms of timing. After the third treatment you begin to have one week to "play around" (ie instead of having a treatment every 3wks, you may go to every 4wks).

Mom has had 4 treatments to date; her 5th (if keeping on the 3wk schedule) should've been this past Wednesday. So, I guess we just started our "grace" period. Though radiation doesn't sound "fun" by any means, surely it has to be easier than straight out poison? (I've heard both: chemo was easier, radiation was easier.) The plan will be found out next week.

One day at a time...

{Thank you all, again.}

Still in our prayers! Keep up the good work, T's mom!

Tonya, you know you can always count on my prayers and love for your family.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post

Today, the doctors allowed her to have small amounts of food and she was able to keep it down. We walked and walked and walked and she was good. Still have to do the o2 at night.
    But they said that it looks as if
    she will be able to GO HOME Sunday or Monday!!

One day at a time...

Way to GO, New Mexico Mom!!

Walkin IS good --- helps build up your strength over your whole body.
    Walkin wiffa Dawter is even PHUNN!

I took my hospital hikes with Mr. Bear tucked under one arm,
    pushin the ole IV Pole with the other. Whadda sight we were!

Keep on Feelin BETTER, NMM!!
    We're all *ROOTIN* for ya!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Better news all the time!

I'm sure being home will help Mom feel a lot better.

I hope the radiation is easier on her than the chemo was.

Gentle {{{hugs}}} to NMM and PRAYERS.
    (for you too, Miss Zippy!)

That's very encouraging news! You must be elated! We'll keep the prayers going up from Ohio.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11