Thread: Fighting dogs

Fighting dogs

I adopted a Pitbull from the local human society a couple of years ago. At first I was hesitant, but Lucy won me over with her loving personality. Over our two years together, she has never showed any form of aggression towards any human or dog. Though she is well trained, as recommended, I have never found her to be anything like her stereotype. She is the most loving, faithful, and loyal dog who only wants a roof over her head and a lap to rest in! Not all Pitbulls are killers like society has labeled them.

My brother-in-law kind of collects abused pit bulls. There is only one of them he has had that was mean and that was because his previous owner trained him to be. They are wonderful dogs if you treat them well.

I think its all about how you treat and raise your dogs. I raised a pit bull from Puppy until it passed away and it was very loyal to me. He never tried to hurt anybody and was very good with kids. Any dog can be mean if they are mistreated.

[This message has been edited by Starlite (edited July 07, 2000).]

American Pit BullTerriers are the most magnificent breed of dog. I'm so happy to hear positive messages about them. I cringed when I saw "fighting breeds" on this bulletin board. This is the only breed of dog I have ever owned and raised. I have never had a problem with people or humans. They are a special breed for a special owner who can give them the proper care they need. Most important is socialization and love. I think a lot of people who own Pit Bulls (the ones who give them a bad name) try to make them agressive and mean and they don't socialize them. They make me sick. Please try to raise positive awareness for this breed at any opportunity you get. I do and most people are surprising;y receptive. My dog always changes their mind and it makes me feel so good. I aplaud you for adopting a Pit Bull. They are wonderful, althetic dogs.

I just missed getting bit by a pit bull while i was at a neighboor's house. The owners had two small kids and he was a family dog. maybe he was trying to protect his territory, but you can never tell how those kinds of dogs will act. I personnaly don't like pit bulls. they can turn on you at any time. I'd rather get a lab.

[QUOTE]hi i am racahel i love pitbulls because not of there mean reputation but because of there loyalty.i have a question if pitbulls have a bad rep because what they were bred for what about bulldogs they were bred for fighting too.maybe it is ebcause they are small but i'm not sure i just know if you give pitbulls a chance they will give you 10,000 times more love back to you as you give love to them.all they want is to be loved and to learn what makes you happy they would give their lives for you if you loved it and you treated it fairly. but people push them away because of what they were bred
    for.they can't help man is so selfish that they would make themfight just to get money.
    so the next time you push them away because of what people made of their instincts think again because you probably just lost the first true friend you ever find in the world so if you are crying by now don't feel stupid just think how many inisent pitbulls are getting beating because their instincts.all they want is love and fore to feel as if they have a purpose to be living on this earth.they have feelings too just as a person and even if the only wayto show it is in their eyes they will show it.

Well, some pit bulls might be nice dogs, but why take the chance and instead go for a breed that you know won't hurt you? I've met a very very sweet rottwieler before, but a week later, another rottwieler bit my cousin on his hand, and he still has a scar. So, you cant say that all fighting dogs are sweet. it depends on the dog. you have to be careful with these breeds. The dog that bit my cousin was also a family dog, like the one that tried to bite me. I'm just going to stay with breeds that have no fighting background.

Any dog can be aggressive. I was attacked by a Chihuahua when I was 10, and still have the scars on my shin. I have a AmStaff, and he is the most loving dog you could ever meet. What is so sad is that so many people are anti-Pitbull, AmStaff, and they really don't know about the dog. I suggest that you check this site out: http://www.cyberpresence.net/pb/pbweb.html. Really wonderful site. I am just glad that there are positive posts about this breed. They are extremely smart, very, very loyal and all they want is your love and approval. Rebel has stolen my heart, I can't imagine a better dog!!

A lot of people tend to forget that dogs such as Cockers and Poodles are more likely statistically to bite or attack a human that a Pit Bull or Rott. What is scary about these "fighting" dogs is their unmatched strength and power. Again, it has to do with how you raise the dog and the dog's tendency - which varies from dog to dog regardless of breed. People often rely on their uneducated fear to base their perceptions about dogs such as Pit Bulls or Dobermans. Saying all Pit Bulls are killers is like saying all Blondes are dumb and easy -- again an ignorant stereotype.

<but you can never tell how those kinds of dogs will act. I personnaly don't like pit bulls. >

ANY dog can attack....ANY DOG. It's all in how they are raised, their genetics, their personality, their temperment and how YOU react to the dog. I am so tired of Staffies and Pit Bull's getting a bad rap. It's all in how they are raised. Pit Bull's and Staffie's are just as nice as labs and golden's and any other dog out their. You are entitled to your opinion but I think if the neighbor's dog had been a lab and tried to bite, you would've just shrugged it off.

Boxerpudge is right-any dog can attack. My mutt and I have been accosted by a pitt bull-on the other hand years ago when my Irish setter was not more than a couple months old his favorite plymate was as adult pittbull, and she was so gentle with him. I spend a alot of time at obedience classes with my bassets and have seen aggression from many breeds-even those generally thought of a gentle mild mannered ones.

Any dog will attack not just AmStaffs or Bulldogs. ANY DOG. Scientific studies have proved that out of a poodle, a collie, and a chihuahua. Collies are most likely to be biters. Now who would expect a COLLIE to bite. And I'm not just talking about LASSIE.