Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Three Musketeers (photos!)

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

The Three Musketeers (photos!)

I am officially in love with box turtles, they are really very interesting animals. Very cute, already seeing different personalities in each of them, and two of them are barely yearlings. Without further adieu, meet our three newest family members, Aramis, Athos and Porthos!

Aramis is the biggest, he's 2-3 years old.

Athos is the smallest, we believe he hatched last June.

And, Porthos, he's a little bit bigger than Athos.

Here are the two littlest ones.

One more post...
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Aramis, being the oldest, is a lot more active than Athos and Porthos, who mostly stay underground.

Soaking and surveying the area. I love this one.

He really likes this spot, although I moved the pot and put a coconut hut there, now.

Cutie.

Long neck!

This is their home.

Hope you all like the photos, they are a lot of fun!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Wow, that is quite an elaborate set up you have for them. And rather big for 3 wee ones!

I like the names, that is cute.

In the long next shot, was he reaching for food? Gee, he sure is stretching out at something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Wow, that is quite an elaborate set up you have for them. And rather big for 3 wee ones!

I like the names, that is cute.

In the long next shot, was he reaching for food? Gee, he sure is stretching out at something interesting.
    Actually, everyone I've talked to that has turtles, says that it's the perfect size for a turtle Aramis's size. It is a little much for the two little ones, but for Aramis, it's just right. And, it was a lot cheaper to build that than it was to purchase a glass terrarium.

He wasn't reaching for food, I had him in a shallow dish to soak and he was curious as to what was outside of his little pool.
    Last edited by finn's mom; 04-28-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Kari, they are so cute! I love the names you chose too. I don't know a thing about turtles but yours are just so cute and look like they have a great place to live. How big will they get? I look forward to many more pics!

Oh good lord Kari, I'm not the type generally to "squeee" but young turtles bring me pretty close to it . Love them, love them, love them! I absolutely adore box turtles and yours are beautiful. What a fantastic home you have set them up with. I just love seeing them, please post more pics anytime you feel like!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee
    Kari, they are so cute! I love the names you chose too. I don't know a thing about turtles but yours are just so cute and look like they have a great place to live. How big will they get? I look forward to many more pics!
    I didn't have a clue about turtles, either. A coworker of David's was telling us about his turtle garden at home, and jokingly asked if I wanted some baby turtles. I said yes! So, over the last few months, I've been reading and asking and researching and am now relatively knowledgeable of basic turtle care. I won't be giving too much advice any time soon, but I'm confident that I can keep my three happy and healthy!

If I'm not mistaken, box turtles get about six inches. Not a large animal at all.

I will post many more photos, as long as I know folks wanna see them!

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    Oh good lord Kari, I'm not the type generally to "squeee" but young turtles bring me pretty close to it . Love them, love them, love them! I absolutely adore box turtles and yours are beautiful. What a fantastic home you have set them up with. I just love seeing them, please post more pics anytime you feel like!
    hahaha, I'm the same way about young turtles, Jess. But I am the type to generally squee. But, yeah, they are seriously way up there on the cute scale. Aramis is quite beautiful, actually. David thinks he's a she, because the tail is a little skinnier and the eyes are not real brightly colored. But, it's hard to tell. Either way, I love them!
    Last edited by finn's mom; 04-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Cute little buggers, and a nice setup. I though male turtles had longer tails. They sure are tiny too, he doesn't sell them this small regularly?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Cute little buggers, and a nice setup. I though male turtles had longer tails. They sure are tiny too, he doesn't sell them this small regularly?
    You're right, I edited it. I don't know all there is to know about turtles, so I mixed up the wording on the tail. As for him selling his turtles, he doesn't. He's a friend and gave them to us. When his turtles hatch, and they are about a year old, he brings them indoors for a year or so and then puts them back out into his garden. So, instead of him keeping them in his house, we're keeping them in ours. We're hoping by the time they need more space, we'll be in a house again where we can build an outdoor enclosure.

Oh, my bad, I thought he was some sort of turtle dealer the way your posts sounded. Oops. An outdoor enclosure will be nice, I hear they are very good in the yard, eating all the dandilions. Then again I have no idea if you have dandilions in Texas.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Oh, my bad, I thought he was some sort of turtle dealer the way your posts sounded. Oops. An outdoor enclosure will be nice, I hear they are very good in the yard, eating all the dandilions. Then again I have no idea if you have dandilions in Texas.

Not sure what gave you that impression, but no big deal. He just has a turtle garden in his yard, it's on the side of his house and is really pretty. We all call him the turtle rancher and he has had boxies for about thirteen or so years. I'm sure they'd eat the heck of dandelions if they had access to them. I'll be bringing dandelion greens from the grocery store I work at to see if Aramis will like them. The little ones won't eat anything that doesn't wiggle right now, so they don't seem interested in anything but worms. But, Aramis likes fruits and veggies, so we're trying all sorts of them.

Your turtles are so cute! It will be fun watching them grow up.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

omg, so cute.* i want one now. lol.

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.

They are adorable - would love to see the turtle garden....
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk