Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Lolspeak" drives me nuts

Except when it is a "pet" posting, like Chopper, Cinder and Smokey, and other animals - which makes it easy to differentiate between the "pet" typing and his or her human speaking, I tend to PM people and ask them to spell things out. I can only do that on Pet Talk, though! I am not moderator for the whole world, just this corner of it!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Well I guess I will be the first to say that I find it hilarious.

I knew there was a reason we get along so well.

To those who don't like it... don't bother looking at my signature.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    I knew there was a reason we get along so well.

To those who don't like it... don't bother looking at my signature.

I will be the first to admit that I didn't get your siggy. Like I said I am an old fogey though and thougt it strange. So I won't bother looking ....lol

Oh well!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

When I first saw the lolspeak stuff, mainly from pictures posted from the icanhascheezburger site, I didn't think much of it, even chuckled at a few. And then it just seemed to suddenly explode! Now it seems like it is everywhere I look! Perhaps it's the volume of it that is driving me nuts now. Or maybe it's that I see and hear so much butchering of the English language every day, even from doctors dictating patient charts, that I don't feel any hilarity at it.

That all said, it certainly doesn't send me into a flying rage . I just have been how much I have seen it explode within the past few weeks and thought I'd comment!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks Kay-ann i finally get what everyone is talking about now, i am not really bothered,as I don't come across it really, but i can see the point where it might just grate on one's nerve's after a while,each to their own I guess.
    Last edited by carole; 04-27-2008 at 09:57 PM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

.....Am I the only one who spends a fair amount of time speaking like that in real life? Mostly just when I'm being silly with my future hubby, but still...heh...

Thank you Wolf_Q!

It drives me nuts trying to decipher it. It's like when they were teaching inventive spelling at school. UGH!!! I'm definitely one for correct grammar and spelling, and the "cutesy" crap drives me nuts, unless it's Chopper and the rest of the pets With people, they just need to speak normally, lol.

Try walking through the hallways at the school you clean and listening to the preteens actually speak like this. One day an excited girl yelled "O M G" to one of her friends and I almost died laughing (though crying on the inside).

I find it funny when it's on the LOLcats.....the silly words are part of what makes the captions funny. When it is on message boards and such though, I don't like it either. I never liked 'leetspeak' and other internet talk. I think it's silly.

A few like - LOL - or IMO - or BRB - are okay but when people start "wut r u doing?" or 'i rox hard' it drives me crazy....I even get annoyed when people don't capitalize "I" though....I guess it's the English major in me!

If I was a teacher and a student used leetspeak or LOLspeak in a paper, I'd fail them! I might give them the chance to do it over but that would be it - one chance.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Sometimes it makes for good jokes. I remember one photo of a huge dog licking a tiny kitten, captioned "I is a LOLcat, not a LOLlipop!"

Love, Columbine

It drives me insane, it is everywhere these days .

Woohoo! I am officially a fogey!! Gives me a headache trying to decipher it
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Agree totally! The only ones who should be speaking like this are Phred and Chopper!
    Thanks for the big laugh, Pam!!!

I agree totally. Our future generations won't be able to correctly say or spell the simplest of words. It might be my age too but I think it's nothing but harmful

Kay: I didn't see your signature until you pointed it out. I have to say, I can figure it out, now that you bring it up I'm 100 years old and it shows.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

You know what? It reminds me of baby talk!
    Woogy woogy woo!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~