Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canned dog food for puppies...

Mighty dog is absolutely a horrible dog food....

However... I disagree that puppies NEED puppy food. If you feed a high quality dog food (I feed Canidae) then you do not have to feed a puppy food. When I have litters, and start weaning puppies, I will use a quality puppy food, soaked in warm water to make it soft for the puppies... and usually add a little goats milk to the food.... by the time they are 3 months old they are typically on Canidae dog food.....

Also... I agree.. dry food doesn't help keep teeth clean. Some breeds are more prone to bad teeth than other breeds.... a lot of smaller breed dogs especially (doxies, min pins and toy and mini poodles and Poms are the ones I've seen most from working at vet clinics the last 9 yrs)...... however Collies are a breed that tend to get quick tarter build up on their teeth.... I typically scale my dogs teeth every 6 months to keep the tarter build up off.... or before I take them to a show.... and my dogs that will chew raw knuckle bones I will give them these every once in a while, though I do have some that are not big chewers, even if the other dogs are chewing on them... they won't touch them... kinda weird LOL

Also I think science diet T/D is a HUGE waste of money!!! Even the vet where I most recently worked thought it was a waste of money and didn't recommend it....
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritwind
    Also I think science diet T/D is a HUGE waste of money!!! Even the vet where I most recently worked thought it was a waste of money and didn't recommend it....

Why's that? (Just curious)
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by catfancier
    Why's that? (Just curious)
    Because this vet really didn't believe it worked (and I agree, from what I have seen)... she thought it was just a gemmick for science diet to make more money!! Actually with the exception of the science diet C/D, S/D, A/D and on occasion the R/D and W/D.... IF the animal REALLY needs an Rx food... she did not recommend regular science diet food, she told the clients right up front, if you looked at the ingredients of science diet you could find MUCH better foods out there or the same price or less... this is where I worked in NC.

The clinic I worked at in Ohio, one of the girls that worked there fed her labs T/D for a long time (a couple years).. and her dogs teeth were still horrible...
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!