Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henny @ The White Coats...AGAIN. UPDATE #18 NOT GOOD

Henny @ The White Coats...AGAIN. UPDATE #18 NOT GOOD

Please keep Henny in your thoughts. She began regurgitating again on thursday afternoon. The vet is doing surgery today as soon as he calls a few people in. He says she has some kind of blockage. He gave here a barium swallow test and it's not moving an inch past said blockage. I keep everyone updated.
    Last edited by Sparklecoon; 04-11-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Henny. Will be watching for updates.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh my goodness! I will be thinking of Henny today.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

More prayers for Henny.

I do hope Henny is ok, any word yet???

Well here it goes. Some of you may remember that Henny was at the vets a couple months ago with some of the same symptoms. Before he sent her home I asked if he wanted to do a xray just to make sure there was nothing crazy hanging around in her belly. He said it wasn't necessary. Considering I didn't spend 7 yrs of my life in veterinary school I let it be. (MISTAKE)

Well He did two xrays this time before he went to the barium for the thrid. He saw a mass ( I was having a meltdown at this point because as far as wolfhounds go Henny is darn near middle aged at 3.5yrs.). He finally went in and did surgery on saturday afternoon and found a HUGE obstruction. He said it was at least a ft. of intestines being blocked . Hearing this I felt like a horrible dog mom. I don't know where she got what she's been eating. When I saw her start to destroy toys they were removed, all clothing was out of reach. So I just don't know what she got. He said the material was very decomposed and may have been there since last time she was in . She's doing fine now and eating away. Hopefully she'll be able to come home today.

I didn't want to use this vet again and had a spay set up with another vet but when she started vomiting nobody else could get me in and the nearest E-vet is like an hour away. Thankfully the dr. performed the spay at the same time so the poor baby won't have to go through this again.

I'm so stressed out right now. I have to call him shortly and see if we can work out a payment plan. Last time 4days of observation, fluids, and meds cast me $786. Now she's had emergency weekend surgery. I fear the price will be astronomical and I still haven't got the credit card I used for the last one down yet.

On top of this all I'm trying to close on a house which many will know is a whole lot of out of pocket expenses here and there. I haven't been sleeping be it from quilt that she's sick, worrying over money etc. I think yesterday I had a borderline breakdown.

Thankfully it's been nice and me and the other three pups have been playing outside. It's helped to relieve a bit of stess. Thank you all for your thoughts for my big goofy girl. I've only had her since Jan. and already she's put me through more than the other 3 have over their combined 10years.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Aw, poor Henny, and poor you. I hope she is feeling better now, and able to come home today. I think once she is home and safe with you once again, you will feel better. I am sorry you had to go through so much with her. Kids, whether they have fur or they have skin they always seem to find ways to keep you on edge. Good luck, and healing vibes being sent out for that big girl.

I'm glad Henny is going to be ok. Sorry about all the stress. It's so hard when they're sick. Please don't feel guilty, how could you have known? Healing vibes headed Henny's way.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

This is not at all your fault. You should not feel guilty about a thing. That vet is the one to blame. I mean, you even asked if he wanted to do xrays. HELLO!! And with the mistake or oversight on his part he'd better let you work out a payment plan. Had he taken xrays two months ago it may not have gotten to this point. I mean, she probably still would have had to have surgery, but it wouldn't have been such a dire emergency and last minute type of thing.
    Oh, I am just so sorry you and Henny had to go through all of this. I hope she is home with you very soon and on a quick road to recovery.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Poor sweet Henny-penny. Give her a hug for me, okay? The best part about Wolfies is that they are big enough to hug!

I'd let the Better Business Bureau know about that first vet, as this was a serious oversight on his part.
    I've Been Frosted

Bless your heart!!!! Poor Henny, what a rotten vet!!!!! I agree completely with Cindy, if he had done the xrays he would have found it two months ago and saved you and Henny all of this stress and upset. My best wishes and lots of prayers for both of you.

The vet could have found something still in her gut if they did the surgery on time, I would try to negotiate the price due to this. I am glad he is doing better.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Oh the poor thing!!

Glad the vet (finally) found it and she's on her way to a speedy recovery!
    {{HUGS}}
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

The price is $1500. As I am kind of a push over I sent Josh. He's not happy about it. My big thing is not only that he said we didn't need the xray last time but this time when the first one didn't come out clear enough he did a second regular one before switching to barium on the third for better viewing. If he would have used the contrast on the second try he would have been for sure on the blockage sooner, able to do the surgery Fri instead of an emergent surgery Sat and gotten her home sooner as well.

I feel like I'm being played to make a buck. Either that or he's just a horrible vet.

UPDATE: She's home and the total was $1700. She's supposed to wear the e-collar for two weeks and she can barely go 5min with out freaking out. I don't know what to do I've been crying for the last 20 min. Does the collar really need to stay on that long?
    Last edited by Sparklecoon; 04-08-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Oh my, poor Henny, and poor you! I hope she'll be feeling better soon! My dogs all hated the e-collar too! There's a few other types you can get that she may be more comfortable with.