Thread: Arthritis pain meds

Arthritis pain meds

Hi PT!

Long time no see!

I have a quick question for you. Brandee has arthritis in her hind legs and has a hard time getting up most of the time. We've tried a few different pain meds for her, but don't think she's getting much relief. Can you guys suggest anything or recommend anything that you've had luck with?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and yes, she's been seen by the vet. All they tell us to do is give her baby asprin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

If they're saying all you can do is give baby aspirin then I'd SERIOUSLY consider getting a second opinon from a different vet.

There are several good glucosamine/chondroiton for just for dogs and at least 1/2 a dozen true arthritis meds available from vets (although most of them will require some lab work before taking and periodically during treatment for true arthritis meds).

If the vet you have says that all that is available is baby aspirin then either your vet is not aware of the current drugs available to help alieviate arthritis pain (which makes me wonder why) or he/she is taking shortcuts in treatment. This is all assuming that you've been to the vet fairly recently and have let them know that the current aspirin treatment is not working.

Actually studies have shown that aspirin for dogs is more harmful on the organs and tend to interact with other medications more often than the arthritis meds do. Be aware that some meds do require an absitnence (sp?) period off of the aspirin before making the switch which means your dog may have to have nothing for a time period so the meds do not interact.

If you've not been back to your vet in the last 3-6 months or have not told them the aspirin is not working, then please give your vet a call.

If you have been in and have told them and that's still their response, then I'd schedule an appointment with another vet for a second opinon.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I keep Keegan on DGP.
    Dog Gone Pain relief
    I wear BY IT - she won't be without it ever.

http://www.doggonepain.com/
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Other than vet prescribed meds, which I hated giving him, Cody got Maalox coated Aspirin. (there are a lot of brands on the market). Seemed to help him alot.

I've been Boooo'd!

Check with your vet about Metacam...and ask Glacier about it. It made all the difference in the world for her senior husky Pirate.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Baby aspirin is fine on a short-term, occasional basis. It's not so good for long term pain management.

I can't say enough good things about Metacam. I have several dogs who take it daily. Pirate and Goldie would both be gone without it. Goldie has an old fracture in her pelvis that was never treated. It causes her pain and the pain makes her randomly aggressive. She's been on Meloxicam(the human tablet form of Metacam) for years. It keeps her pain under control; she's a happy dog who doesn't fight; she's playful and lives contentedly with her Chase. Pirate has athritis in her hips and spine. She was quite crippled up when I first got her and had limited bowel control(from inflammation in her spine). She's still obviously an elderly dog, but she gets around fine, even does her own senior version of the zoomies every morning. Her bowel control is much improved, which makes both of us happy! Sleet also takes Metacam daily to help with her hips and spine. Pingo takes it every third day as her hips aren't quite as bad as the other girls' yet. Goldie gets a tablet cuz that's just easier for her. The others get the liquid form on top of their dinner every night.

Just about every dog in the yard has taken Metacam at some point--post-surgery, pulled muscles, after a fight ect. Never had a single negative side effect. The only problem I have is that Sleet has to stop taking it for a brief period in the summer when her allergies act up. She needs a steriod to control the itching from her allergies. Metacam and steriods can't be mixed.

Goldie gets bloodwork every six months to make sure her liver function isn't being effected. The other seniors are on other meds too that require bloodwork. Goldie started meloxicam as quite a young dog. I think she was six; she's ten now best I can figure. There is a chance that the drug will eventually shorten her life, but I firmly believe that a shorter, pain-free, happy life is much better than a long, miserable one.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

My golden retriever Jake is also on Metacam. He has been on it for about 3 years now, for arthritis and degenerative disk disease. He also gets glucosamine (synflex) and acupuncture. I definately saw an improvement when we added the metacam. My vet has him also get famotadine (pepcid) once daily to prevent stomach upset (we share an over the counter bottle...) and he gets tested yearly for liver function.

Jake's mom