Thread: How do you spoil your oldie?

How do you spoil your oldie?

For all of us dog owners with aging puppers, how do you spoil your older dog? Even if it's a special bed to help the achy joints or a special routine you've done since he was a puppy. How do you spoil your oldie?

My Beanie is going on 11 now, but you wouldn't know it. He keeps up with the young'ns just fine. Although every so often his arthritus and Luxating Patellas catch up to him. To spoil Beanie I give him a massage and of course his arthritus meds. He, as well as the other dogs glucosamine cookies.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I feel guilty that I don't spoil my two enough. Hannah seems to want to play just when I am settling down for the evening to watch TV. I try to engage her and watch TV at the same time but she wants me to come into the Living Room where she has my undivided attention. I'm happy that she still has some interest in playing, limited as it is. What she does get is a massage any time she wants it and a good amount of the lap time. She would like more treats but that's a problem because of her weight. She now needs a light on to be able to jump back on the big bed, so I accommodate her that way, even if it means disturbing a sleeping husband. This summer we might try to get in more outings to the park. She loves that. Hannah is 12 and will turn 13 in November.

The vet has recommended the human version of chonroitin/gulcosamine but I haven't figured out how we are going to get those down her as she is paranoid about taking pills.

Tucker is maybe a year younger than Hannah, although we are not really sure. He could be older. He shows no signs of aging. He gets to sleep in the big bed under the covers whenever he wants to, but mostly he is in and out of the bed. I would gladly spoil him with treats as he is skinny but because of his allergy diet, all he can have is his prescription dog food and maybe a piece of apple, carrot or banana.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Tucker is maybe a year younger than Hannah, although we are not really sure. He could be older. He shows no signs of aging. He gets to sleep in the big bed under the covers whenever he wants to, but mostly he is in and out of the bed. I would gladly spoil him with treats as he is skinny but because of his allergy diet, all he can have is his prescription dog food and maybe a piece of apple, carrot or banana.
    What prescription diet does your vet have him on?
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Kaedyn has been acting like an older dog lately. He's getting stiffer in the joints, his cataracts are noticeable, and he's just slowed down a lot.

I know he likes a specific dog bed so I'll usually kick Keeva off if she's taken it and let her sleep on my bed for the night.. she loves my bed so I guess it's win-win for the two. If I'm doing quick errand running, I'll usually bring him to get him out of the house and give him a breather from the other dogs. He also gets carried up the stairs if he's been acting stiff that day.. I could swear he fakes it sometimes though LOL. He has been getting lots of bones lately for his teeth.. he looks like he can use a cleaning but I don't really want to put him under if I can avoid it. Although, all the other dogs get bones at the same time so really, I'm spoiling all of them when I do this haha.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    What prescription diet does your vet have him on?

He is on Iam's Veterinary Formula Response KO Skin and Coat (a dry kibble). It's made with Kangaroo meat and he has done very well on it. He has allergies which evidence themselves in eye discharge and ear infections. Even an occasional regular dog treat can activate the allergies.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I spoil my lab... too much

The old down comforter, is his to sleep on, he grabs it and drags it where he wants it and makes a nest to crash on. Its pretty funny.
    Also after a long day of dealing with the 2 puppies in the house he get a good massage.
    We have a hand held back massager that he LOOOOOVES (on low) with the heater on and just on the backs of this legs and his thighs. Sticks his nose as far up as possible its hilarious.

Maybe not the diet info or workout plans you were looking for but who doesnt love a massage right!? Glad to hear i'm not the only one who massages haha

My 11 year old Border Collie mix starts limping after say 3 or 4 miles so when that happens I just let it rest for a day or so. Plus I am going to start with the Glucosamine.

Plus she has a very soft bed on the floor and alternates between that and my bed at night.

I've decided that I want to be reincarnated as a pampered house pet.

We recently converted our spare bedroom into a dog room. All our dogs do really well with Nathan but they sometimes want to get away from him for a little while. We put a baby gate in the doorway, we keep it open most of the time but we can close it if we need to. We put the cushions from our old couches in there for the dogs to lounge on when they go in there. They also have their crates in there. Buster (13 year old chihuahua) and Charlie (9 year old min pin) both LOVE the room. The others like it too, but not nearly as much as Buster and Charlie.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Hmmm, seems like I spend my DAY catering to senior dogs, lol. Ozzy is "at least 14," Sugar is 10 and Marlin is 9. Ozzy gets the most 'elder dog' care as he has the most 'elder dog' issues.

I start in the morning, get the others up and out, feed the cats, return to bed and give Ozzy a 'wake up' massage. He leans into my hand and gives these cue little sighs, lol. He then gets carried to the family room and placed on 'his' pet bed on the floor. Ozzy can't manage to jump up onto or down from anything. When he is ready, he gets up and comes in the kitchen for his morning treats.

When he has to go out, he gets carried as he can't see or do stairs, not up or down, any more. Even though we have just ONE step, he slams into it so we don't let him even try anymore. While outside, we always wait for him, as he can't find the door to get back in.

During the day, several times per day, one of us picks him up and lets him sit with us in the chair or on the sofa. The other pups are up and down as they choose, but he can't do that anymore. Sometimes we pick him up only to discover he doesn't WANT to sit with us and he wiggles and squirms until we place him back on the floor. He then makes his way back to wherever he was and settles in exactly the same position!

Dinner time, Ozzy gets the same thing every day. Each time I tried to vary he threw up so I don't try any more. He gets dry kibble with 3 spons of Merrick canned Turducken. (NO ONE else gets Merrick, not even as a treat.) And it HAS to be Turducken. I tried the other flavors, they didn't stay down.
    He likes to be with his pack, so he comes on walks with the other 3 dogs. Being oldest and smallest (not a good combo!) he tires so he goes into the pup pouch. I've tried 4 spoons, it comes up. I tried 2 spoons, he got a belly ache and whined for an hour.

Bed time, Ozzy get lifted on my bed and place in the SAME place each time. he will shift himself into a comfy position. I keep track of him all night, as he can't tell where is the edge of the bed, and he fell off a few times the first few months he was here. Now, he gets placed in the MIDDLE and the rest of us pretzel around him.