Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torch Relay for the Beijing Olympics.

Torch Relay for the Beijing Olympics.

I love the Olympics.

Have been the Games and seen three torch runs thru the city. It's a wonderful thing to experience. The best part about hosting the party is the cooperation from the locals and the 'team' spirit that, if only for 17 days, everyone manages to bask in.

I am a little shocked and amused by the current problems that the BOOC has had with their run.

I saw the clip of the torch taken out of the hands of the person in the wheelchair and extinguished. Not fair to the people selected to carry it!

For the record- when the flame is lit in Greece and there are a number of lamps that carry the flame- backup flames in case the torch is put out.

I feel for all the athletes who have spent the last 4 years preparing-it sucks to get prepared and then get the rug pulled out from under you.

From what I have heard about Beijing, it's not going to be any fun for the athletes or tourists.

One report stated that a nutritionist made a trip there to check out the local food - to see what was available to the participants. They tested the meat and found that the hormone levels would get an athlete in trouble if they ate it and were tested later for performance enchancing drugs.

There are also reports of cameras being installed in tourist rooms, Media not being allowed to film or report from Tianneman Square and the terrible air quality in the city.

The situation in Tibet isn't helping the situation. Today there was a protest on the Golden Gate Bridge. Protestors hung flags and banners across the span. The part that angers me about the demostrators -and will probably take place on Wednesday - is their inability to behave themselves and allow an event to take place without all the malicious activities that they take part in.

Yeah, protest, hang banners, chant and yell.

But why do you have to ruin it for everyone else?

The idiot with the fire extinguisher was pretty funny-no thought about spraying the crowd with it. The barricade jumpers that tried to wrestle the torch away from the runners. Lovely! That cancels the rest of the run for the runners and crowd.....I'd be ticked...

"I took off of work to see the Olympic Flame and some morons who can't behave or separate civil disobedience from freedom of speech.

I don't care for China's human rights records or what they are doing in Tibet..but, I just dislike it when politics leaks into what should be fun and games.

Beats me that China was chosen to host the Games...did the committee really think they would clean up their act?

I hear that in Canada, some teams are taking their own chef with them. And who can blame them?

I wonder if any animal groups are protesting because of SOME Chinese folks' abuse of animals. Don't get me started on the fur...or some of the restaurants!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

There are so few international events left that the whole world can stop and fully enjoy. It is an honor to watch and rejoice in all of the hard efforts of the athletes.

Yes, it beats me too, why China was ever accepted as a host of the Olympics.

It hurts me to say this, but as the rest of the world gets caught up in the heat of the events surrounding the running of the torch - it will get worse.

China will be exposed even more - and the athletes - God help them all. For some, it will be their only chance to compete in this magnificent event.

I am surprised to be honest that more people have not decided to boycott these games. I love the olympics but considering everything that has gone on and the fact that child labor was used to prepare the venues, costumes etc you would think the public would be more concerned and more outspoken. It seems that these things get swept under the rug and forgotten about way too easily.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Why was China selected as the site for the Olympics?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not that the IOC would accept a bribe, but this wouldn't exactly be the first time.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight
    It seems that these things get swept under the rug and forgotten about way too easily.
    I agree with you. I don't think the protestors are 'ruining it for everyone.' They are making people aware of what is going on and if that 'ruins' it for you, maybe you should be doing something to change it so there need to be protests next time.

It's much too easy to say, "I just want to have fun" and ignore what's going on in the world. Everything I do is to promote GLBT rights - even when I'm having 'fun,' writing my stories, I make sure that there is an undercurrent of what is going on in the world.

I don't belive in art for art's sake and I don't believe in taking a break just to have fun. If being aware of the animal cruelty and child labor that occurred just so people could watch the Olympics "ruins" it for you, stop for a moment and think about that. It should tell you something about our culture.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

I have decided to boycott the Bejing Olympics because of their killing of thousands of cats, that roam the streets, so the place will look nicer and impress tourists.

I saw a picture of a guy pulling over 100 cats in cages to be killed. It sickened me and made me mad as hell.

So, that's what I'm doing.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

At this point I am easily amused.

I have to laugh and point the finger at these morons who are taking an active stand against a butane powered fire/lighter that represents a giant game.

Most of the protestors are the same people who will protest the cause du jour-global warming, elephants inside soap bubbles and senators dumping diesel in the Nantucket Sound.

I look at people who take their complaints to the streets dedicated to the 'cause' with amusement tinged with real distain.

But look at response to the TR protests.

The mouthpiece for the BOOC comes out and says that they 'condemn' the actions of the protestors....not the protest-the actual jerkwad trying to put out the torch.

And the BOOC condemnation does what?

Nothing.

Now what does a nitwit with a fire extinguisher do for the cause?

Well, he gets his name in the paper, arse on T.V. and gives the Chinese government all the more reason not to let international pressure deter them from carrying on as usual.

Case in point?

Cubans in Florida. They really got Fidel to change his tune, eh?

-----------

Instead of getting the TR out of town, these protestors welcome it into the city-for some fun and games.

Let's tax the police and city services! Let's tie up traffic with protests! Let's be disruptive to the whole process.

The Chinese government will twist the coverage to show what a bunch of apes we are in the West. How uneducated we are, evil and uncivilized.

-----------

As far as boycotting a country for it's child labor practices, human and animal rights violations and whatever else the 'cause' is - you may as well check off the planet.

Everything that we touch or do has some kind of negative effect on the population.

Protestors drive to the protest, the use cardboard and wood to craft signs, they wear their hiking shoes made in Taiwan, the Levis by women in Africa,
    Cheap t-shirts sewn in the Carribean-with a nice silk screened logo that let's us know that it's not cool to eat meat, they listen to iPods to the alternative music, with electricity that's made from coal that pollutes the sky.

The protestors will sit back and congratulate themselves at getting the torch run to stop, while forgetting that if the run had gone on and the protests had been a little more civilized, they would have had more chances, in more countries to carry their message to the people that are blissfully unaware of the problems that the Chinese government causes.

Really brilliant, morons.
    Really brilliant!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Just watched film of the torch run through San Francisco. Looks peaceful
    so far. The turnout to protest is huge.Good for them. I think SF is the only
    American city on the route for the Olympic torch.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I had the privilege and honor of being a torch runner in 1991. I will NEVER forget that experience. Back then it wasn't as politicized as it is now. I didn't get to keep the torch; I passed it to a young man whose parents took our picture. I never got the picture, but I have my memories, the T-shirt and a commemorative teddy bear which is standing at my desk in a place of honor today.

It makes me SO sad what is happening today in my fair City. I wish they hadn't run it at all.

I'm sick that the Olympics are being held in Beijing for many reasons, which I won't go into here.

That is all ... I have happy memories of my special day.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Sounds like lovely San Fran is in havoc today redhedd...stay indoors!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    Sounds like lovely San Fran is in havoc today redhedd...stay indoors!
    They're running through MY neighborhood! I'm at work down the Peninsula. Getting home tonight should be phun .... NOT

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Quote Originally Posted by RedHedd

It makes me SO sad what is happening today in my fair City. I wish they hadn't run it at all.
    I hear you.

I do feel for all the people who waited at the end where the closing ceremony
    took place. Talk about getting effed!

When the flame came back to the L.A. Coliseum in 2002 I went down to see it, I still get goosbumps thinking about that....

It's a one minute parade that started when you get to your spot to watch.
    People of all kinds arrive. You see smiles, laughter and flags! Oh, the flags....
    You see flags that are at war miles away from where you are- standing together. If it's only for a moment, it's a moment too short.

Motorcycle cops fly up and down the street, when they come faster and more often you heart starts to race...You see the media truck and hear the crowd.

Whistles, screams, sirens. Someone runs by with their arm in the air and you miss the flame because you are focused on the face beneath it.

There are few times you'll see anyone with a bigger smile on their face!
    You'll never see anyone run without ever touching the ground. It's almost like watching someone surf the well wishes from crowd.

A few seconds later the parade is over....everyone melts away and as they leave you can feel the residual good vibes from what they just saw.

If you could bottle it, you'd never have to worry about the world again.

----------------------

I hope Canada is listening and they bring the flame back thru town.

-------------

I heard that the IOC is thinking about cancelling all future torch relays.

My FIL carried the torch in one of the games. I can't remember what year though; I'll have to ask.

But if that had happened to him, he wouldn't take it lightly. In fact we had a discussion about how people are protesting the olympics. OK protest China and how they treat their people and animals; but why drag the athletes and/or torch runners into it?! What did they do to deserve having fire extinguishers sprayed at them and the torch ripped from their hands???? Not a dang thing.

I must say, to put it frank -- this behavior and the way they are acting disgusts me.

facebook

At the SLC torch run I remember a woman walking up to me while I was standing at near the stage.

SHe was protesting the treatment of the horses that were used in the equestrian events.

I really wanted to tell her to eff off but I caught myself and I think her also, off guard.

I smiled and said to her something like, "No thanks, You are talking to a real fan of the Games....."

She smiled and walked away. I felt pretty good because I didn't treat her with the usual way I deal with people that walk around with agendas and flyers they pass out that end up as litter on the ground.

I guess that as long as there is a cause, people will protest.