Thread: Cat wont stop spraying

Cat wont stop spraying

My dear Gianni is about 3 years old and just got neutured about 3 weeks ago. I was under the impression that this would stop him from spraying all over the house. He has not stopped. Am I missing something?

When you have a male who has just been spayed, he's probably not spraying but the "aroma" of cat spray is still in his urine. It takes at least a month or so for the smell to final disipate, so be patient. If you have caught him spraying, call the vet. He can probably give you better advice than I can.

Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If you don't clean all of the places he has sprayed with an enzyme cleaner, he will respray at the same spots. He will also spray if he is stressed or if there are other cats outside.

Use a cleaner such as Nature's Miracle or Outright's Simple Solution. Be sure to soak the area well and let it dry. The enzymes will 'eat' the odor while it dries.

My cats still anoint the house on occasion, mostly because of the above reasons and because I have what they consider "too many cats". Even the girls do it!

Even after they have been neutured they may spray for a while. Thia will usually stop, unless they get mad at you then even the girls will spray. ( in my shoes).
    GILL & Crew;

I have a couple of boys w/bad manners who, even after neutering, still sprayed on occasion. My vet gave me a drug for them called Clomicalm. It's usually prescribed for dogs w/behavior problems but it can be safely administered to cats as long as you don't over medicate them. They get 5 mg. before bed and virtually no more spraying. Believe me, I was ready to send one of my boys, Specs, to the moon! This saved him and my house and most importantly, I enjoy him so much more because I'm not mad at him all the time. Talk to your vet about Clomicalm if the spraying continues.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by GILL
    Even after they have been neutured they may spray for a while. Thia will usually stop, unless they get mad at you then even the girls will spray. ( in my shoes).
    Yes, it will take some time

When they are neutered they will not magically stop spraying overnight, it takes a little time for the hormones to leave the body and for them to "forget" that they have the urges.

Usually when you neuter them before they start spraying, they still have the ability but don't KNOW they have the ability. With older males who are neutered later and have already started spraying, they KNOW they can spray, so even if they are neutered or not can and will do so.

So make sure to clean all areas thoroughly with an cleaner aimed toward breaking down pet enzymes. Because eventhough you can't see or smell it, he still can!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    So make sure to clean all areas thoroughly with an cleaner aimed toward breaking down pet enzymes. Because eventhough you can't see or smell it, he still can!
    Yes, everyone has their favorite cleaning products for ridding the house of pet stains and my favorite is Urine Gone. You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond or, here in Ohio, Giant Eagle. It takes the stain and the smell out totally but you really have to completely saturate the area several times.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff View Post
    If you don't clean all of the places he has sprayed with an enzyme cleaner, he will respray at the same spots.
    In my opinion, it's better not to really clean the area. Let it dissipate on it's own. The action of us cleaning up is what actually makes the cat re-spray.
    The cat visits the place where he's marked and doesn't find his scent, so what does he do? He marks it again. Make any sense?

Your cat's hormones will gradually go down over the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat View Post
    In my opinion, it's better not to really clean the area. Let it dissipate on it's own. The action of us cleaning up is what actually makes the cat re-spray.
    The cat visits the place where he's marked and doesn't find his scent, so what does he do? He marks it again. Make any sense?
    It isn't my intention to be argumentative but I have to disagree w/this. If you allow the stain and odor to linger, it's been my experience that the cat will indeed return to that same spot and spray again. And, if you live in a multiple cat household, the other cats will follow suit to cover up that scent w/their own. Then you've got double trouble. Plus this is YOUR house. Yes, your cats are family members but they don't pay the bills and you wouldn't allow anyone else to ruin your carpet and/or furniture and you don't want to smell cat pee all day and you don't want to explain to your company what that offensive odor is and the explanation isn't going to make them feel any better. LOL Left untreated, cat urine stains can totally ruin carpet, hardwood floors and furniture. The sooner you saturate the area w/an enzyme cleaner to remove all evidence of stain and odor, the better. Nothing will ruin a home faster than cat urine if left untreated.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    It isn't my intention to be argumentative but I have to disagree w/this. If you allow the stain and odor to linger, it's been my experience that the cat will indeed return to that same spot and spray again. And, if you live in a multiple cat household, the other cats will follow suit to cover up that scent w/their own. Then you've got double trouble. Plus this is YOUR house. Yes, your cats are family members but they don't pay the bills and you wouldn't allow anyone else to ruin your carpet and/or furniture and you don't want to smell cat pee all day and you don't want to explain to your company what that offensive odor is and the explanation isn't going to make them feel any better. LOL Left untreated, cat urine stains can totally ruin carpet, hardwood floors and furniture. The sooner you saturate the area w/an enzyme cleaner to remove all evidence of stain and odor, the better. Nothing will ruin a home faster than cat urine if left untreated.

I agree completely.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    I agree completely.
    I'm just saying what works around here.
    I've had two houses, and only about 2-3 spraying incidents. I know Mr. Jones has done it once. I've had about 40-50 foster cats come through the house. Only one male sprayed in his foster room. He stopped about 5 weeks after neuter.

I don't totally eradicate the odor with strong smelling cleaners. I just lightly clean it. There has not been any re-spraying here.

I'm glad your method works for you.

[QUOTE=rosethecopycat;2007214]I'm just saying what works around here.
    I've had two houses, and only about 2-3 spraying incidents. I know Mr. Jones has done it once. I've had about 40-50 foster cats come through the house. Only one male sprayed in his foster room. He stopped about 5 weeks after neuter. QUOTE]

Wow, that's incredible! You're either extremely lucky or you have special powers. LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

[QUOTE=rosethecopycat;2007214]I'm just saying what works around here.
    I've had two houses, and only about 2-3 spraying incidents. I know Mr. Jones has done it once. I've had about 40-50 foster cats come through the house. Only one male sprayed in his foster room. He stopped about 5 weeks after neuter. QUOTE]

Wow, that's incredible! You're either extremely lucky or you have special powers. LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

[QUOTE=Medusa;2007269]
    I'm just saying what works around here.

Extra lucky, I suspect.

Your cat's hormones will gradually go down over the next few weeks.
    I suppose if it works for you then keep on doin' it, but in my experiences if you don't get it cleaned up it certainly doesn't go away... one of my parents' older male cats I was taking to the vet and he was not neutered, he sprayed all over the backseat of my car! We of course tried cleaning it and we thought it would go away, and the smell did for awhile, but every now and then on a warm day you would get into the car and WOOOOH the smell was almost over powering!!!

I eventually sold the car and feel sorry for the person who has to deal with that on a nice summer day, lol.

Other experiences are if you didn't clean it up right away not only would that cat keep returning to the area and use the same spot, OTHER cats would start using that spot, too, especially if you had more than one unneutered male in the house, and it would get so out of hand.

facebook