Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish & Mennonite Puppymills

Amish & Mennonite Puppymills

New York Post article on puppy mills in Amish country:

"Inside the picturesque barns and wooden fences of Amish country, pedigree puppies are bred by the tens of thousands, many living in a hellish world of filthy, crowded cages. They are 'puppy mill' puppies, and they bring in $4 million a year for the 100 Amish and Mennonite farmers who supply boutique dog-shop markets, including at least two New York dealers, the ASPCA says. 'It's not just some cottage industry by people who sell bread-and-butter pickles by the roadside,' said Roger Caras, ASPCA executive director. The farmers sell 20,000 puppies a year to wholesalers for an average $223 a pup, government records show. And it's making some of these quaint farmers quite rich. U.S. Department of Agriculture documents show that one farmer in the town of Blue Ball sold 1,293 puppies last year for an estimated $290,000 though federal inspectors have cited his farm for numerous violations since 1992 including overcrowded cages and inadequate sanitation, pest control, feeding and watering of animals. 'Then these sickly, genetic nightmares are delivered to the upscale pet shops,' Caras said. 'They given them a bath and blow dry them and fluff them up and pray they don't die before they're sold,' for $1,000 or more each."
    You may think that the Amish just make quilts, bake breads and make homemade jams.
    And I'm sure that some of them do.
    Some of them also do something else. They mill dogs and puppies in the worst of the worst ways.
    The Amish truly are among the worst of the offenders in the way that they treat their animals, both dogs and horses.

This is more about it on Google.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Amish puppy millers have personally told me that God gave them animals to "make a living off of" and no man or government is going to tell them how to treat their animals.

(The following pics were taken with permission of the owner today.)
    All (these dogs) have been on wire (all their lives, both indoors and outside) and have splayed feet.

Last edited by Freedom; 04-06-2008 at 09:30 AM.

I hope a wise theologian gets there and smacks someone upside the head with a liturgical 2 x 4!

I was at a forum recently - and the Biblical quote about God giving people "dominion" over all His creations meant CARETAKING. The Creator made all this beautiful stuff - and it is to be nothing more than a commodity?

ALSO - these 'breeders' are lying, misleading the public about the dogs they are getting, and the 'wholesalers' don't help. Isn't there anything in their faith that forbids lying and dishonesty? (sarcasm here)

Since this has been brought to light, I hope all those poor dogs get POOFED and taken to sanctuary!

ETA: I hope you cross-post all those pics...and send them to some media outlets as well!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

They have a totally different view on life...but, I will tell you, them make me want to Gack! We have Amish farms on the east side of our county and they are filled with mills. They sell to Petland...yet another HORRIBLE, AWFUL, place. I have no use the Amish. While most don't necessarily mill, they cover for those who do. If I could say I was intolerant of a group of people, it would be the Amish.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Oprah Winfrey is doing her 4.4.08 show about puppy mills.

It truly is a shame things like this go on. I feel so sorry for the dogs/cats that are caught up in this so that the humans can make some $$$$
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Quote Originally Posted by mugsy
    They have a totally different view on life...but, I will tell you, them make me want to Gack! We have Amish farms on the east side of our county and they are filled with mills. They sell to Petland...yet another HORRIBLE, AWFUL, place. I have no use the Amish. While most don't necessarily mill, they cover for those who do. If I could say I was intolerant of a group of people, it would be the Amish.
    I hate to say it, but I totally agree with you. When I moved to Indiana from Wyoming, I was fascinated by the romantic notions of the Amish. That myth was QUICKLY dispelled for me, as soon as I got involved with the local shelter, and started to learn the truth about these people and their treatment of animals. In all my years of animals rescue work, the Amish are, far and away, the worst.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wow. I had no idea. That is just horrible! I thought they were honorable people.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Looking at those pictures made me run for the kleenex. Amish people are not people I deal with, they get a wide berth from me. What I cannot fathom is why they aren't closed down. I abhor the way they treat their horses, and the way they haunt the auctions to get the rejects from the racetrack that could otherwise go to rehab centers and used for a multitude of better things and lead a good life.

Go Sterotypes!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

With all that money they could at least give the poor dogs better conditions.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

They don't feel about animals the way we do. No matter how much money they make they still wouldn't care, animals are just machines to those people.

Recently we had a huge blowup over similar comments about the Chinese.

I fail to see how this is any difference. Senseless bias is senseless bias. You don't know the entire group, how then can you say that the entire group is or isn't a certain way?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    Recently we had a huge blowup over similar comments about the Chinese.

I fail to see how this is any difference. Senseless bias is senseless bias. You don't know the entire group, how then can you say that the entire group is or isn't a certain way?

I couldn't agree more.

I can't believe that some people tell me that I should have empathy for the extremists that cut peoples heads off because "it's their belief and the way they were raised... you shouldn't judge them and not all of them are like that"

yet here we are

I must say that living in Amish country... I know plenty who treat their animals very well and who do NOT run puppy mills. they are very nice, quiet people who don't hurt or disturb anybody... yet they must be thrown into the mix and be the subject of hatred because of what other people do?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

The fact of Oprah's show on puppy mills got me thinking...is she focusing on the Amish?

No.

Puppy mills, cruelty and greed are found in every part of our society, and the Amish form one of those parts. We can't point fingers at any one area.

Let's work for all puppy mills to be outlawed.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I posted this over in Dog General on the topic.

The county in which I live forbids the sale of pets in pet stores. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. There are cats at Pet Smart - cats from the Humane Society, for adoption.

Perhaps if more counties around the country would adopt similar laws, the puppy mill business would be severely impacted - maybe even done away with over time?

Around here the only "general" pet store from which you can actually purchase a cat or dog is Petland. Neither Petsmart or Petco sell dogs or cats. The Petsmart I shop has fish, birds, and little furry creatures, and they have a room with cats adoptable through a local shelter. If you want to adopt a shelter dog, you can get a list of local shelters at customer service. My local Petco has supplies for fish and birds, but they don't sell them. I wish Petland wouldn't. The local feed store has business cards for the humane center. They have the opposite problem - people sometimes call the feed store when they have found an animal, so they refer those calls to the humane center which has a microchip reader.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678