Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigh...am I being unreasonable?

Sigh...am I being unreasonable?

I auctioned off a motherboard on ebay about two months ago. I got positive feedback for the item when the winner recieved it but now the guy opened up a dispute saying the motherboard is dead. As far as I know, the buyer tested the unit when he recieved it. Why would he demand his money back for it two months later? I don't know what may have happened to this unit in that ammount of time and I can't be sure of what parts he tired to stick with the motherboard or if he even did the assembly right. On the auction I said the unit was sold as is, for exactly that reason (the auction page is still accessable too). It was working when I stopped using it and I tested it right before I shipped it too. Am I being unresonable telling the guy that he shouldn't expect a refund? I think two months is a long time to wait to claim that something doesn't work. I know that if I bought computer hardware I wouldn't wait that long to get a replacement if it didn't work. Not only did the guy send me a dispute through ebay, but he managed to get my email adress and sent me a rather strongly worded email on top of it all about five minutes after the dispute claim went through.
    The hardware, including shipping cost him $80. He was the winning bidder on an auction type listing and as far as I know he bid at least twice to win the auction so I know he must have read the listing or at least I hope he did. Is there anything legally he can do to demand a refund even if the auction said "sold as is?"
    Sigh, I hate dealing with ebay. I was just trying to offload some stuff that worked but I didn't have any use for and was taking up space. Now I have an angry person claiming something that smells an awful lot like fraud. I've already dealt with a few fraudulent bidders and someone trying to hack my paypal through ebay. Im about ready to just close my account at this point.
    Sorry for the long rant.

if it said "sold as is"... then it HAS to be accepted "as is".... if he reviewed you positive and two months later he backs out... what do you think.... the motherboard was good, now he "fried" it he wants a refund.... while it said as is... he might´ve well thought it MAY have had roasted soon after purchase, but that´s a chance he was willing to take when he bought it... even if it was in great condition...

it´s like when buying a light bulb... you check it at tha store and it works fine.... you get home and install it.... and boom... it fuses... you get no refunds...

I really don´t see why you should refund him... I know it must be annoying to get his emails, but ebay must see it as it is.... don´t let it get to you
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Selling on ebay can be a pain sometimes. I would think ebay would be on your side about this one. Two months later? Be careful when you sell items such as this, make sure you take a 'picture' of the serial number on it. People have been known to have something that's broke, see it for sale, buy it and claim it doesn't work and want a refund. Good luck.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I agree - as is means exactly that - no exceptions. He's trying to put one over on you.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    Selling on ebay can be a pain sometimes. I would think ebay would be on your side about this one. Two months later? Be careful when you sell items such as this, make sure you take a 'picture' of the serial number on it. People have been known to have something that's broke, see it for sale, buy it and claim it doesn't work and want a refund. Good luck.
    I was just thinking this. He mentioned in his SECOND email to me that he has "Several" identical units
    I think he is trying to defraud me.

Edited to add: Paypal just notified me that he tried to dispute payment but since it was over 45 days old they weren't going to do anything. He has just closed his ebay dispute as well although he has a right to file a formal complaint according to ebay. I say let him at this point. Blah, Im going to go pet a cat now lol.

Glad eBay and PayPal sided with you. Two months is far too long. As far as anyone knows he could of taken a hammer to the darn thing and tried to get his money back.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36
    I was just thinking this. He mentioned in his SECOND email to me that he has "Several" identical units
    I think he is trying to defraud me.

Edited to add: Paypal just notified me that he tried to dispute payment but since it was over 45 days old they weren't going to do anything. He has just closed his ebay dispute as well although he has a right to file a formal complaint according to ebay. I say let him at this point. Blah, Im going to go pet a cat now lol.
    save that email, in case needed, you have "evidence"...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I saved the email. According to the ebay TOS any communications involving a dispute have to be handled through ebay or else they are dismissed as fraudulent. Im sure ebay will contact me, as the guy seemed head up about filing a formal complaint so I have his emails as proof that he contacted me outside of ebay.

I've been having an issue with a buyer on ebay as well. He bought a cell phone that I bought through ebay and never opened. It was new in the box, and it wasn't till after I bought it and read the literature on it that I realized it was WAY more than what I needed (it was a PDA).

So, I listed it and sold it, and the the guy bought it through the "Buy it Now" option. I had emailed him 3xs to ask whether it was received within the first month. He never replied. I also noticed on his feedback he had bought the exact same phone that he bought from me a few weeks before the one he bought from me, from another seller.

A month goes by and he finally emails me, only to say that the phone is now defective and he wants his money back. Umm.... excuse me. You never contact me, not even as a courtesy to let me know if you received the phone (I didn't have tracking on it, but I did have insurance on it). I also have a strict 3 day return policy. He keeps emailing me, and starts making threatening comments, and then he relists the item and says that it's used, but in working condition, just has a scratch from it being dropped. He's listed it 3xs now, and no one has bought it. He did keep emailing me and telling me I have to buy it back from him, or that I need to help him relist it to get his money back. I told him he should have bought a "Square Trade" warranty, which is what I bought with the new phone I got on ebay. It's offered, and he could have gotten it, but he refused to get it.

I also think he's a scammer, and I did report him and all his emails to ebay, because how am I to know if the phone he is claiming isn't working isn't the one he bought from the other seller, and not the one from me??? I never even unpacked the darn thing, and just resold it within a day of receiving it. He still has it listed on ebay, still says it is working. I'm just so upset he's going to sell it to someone knowing that it's not working, claiming he bought it for $349 (which he did not, not even close), and that he's only selling it because he's trying to make some money to help his mom with her bills cause she's old and sick. Funny how he never told me any of that..

I'm waiting to see if he does try to file a claim with PayPal. I don't think it would stand up if he did.

I trust no one these days. It's like so many people are just out there to defraud others and just want to make money.

Today he has sent me an email saying he knows my address and will "ruin" me. I have closed my pay pal and have reported him to Ebay. I also am seeing if I can report him to the police. Hopefully the state police here will give me a direction to take action against this individual. Since he has my email I am worried that he is going to do something fishy with my bank or something similar since he said he is an "expert" on computers. Maybe I should call my bank as well and have them watch out for any odd activity.

I think calling the State Police is a wonderful idea. And I would notify everyone that this jerk is harassing you. Contact his ISP and tell them.

I have just sent a report off to his ISP. Hopefully they will do something about it.

One time, a guy in Austria won something from us and our ad clearly states 'USA only'. He was pissed when I told him I wouldn't send it, he called me some names and told me "you'll see what you get". Sure enough, next day, icons started popping up on my pc. Even a pop up ad on PT in guess what, an Austrian type language! Hubby blocked his email, no more problems. I reported the threatening emails to ebay. They said there was nothing they could do since they were emails, not through ebay. They also advised me to call my local law enforcement if I didn't feel safe. Of course the guy was in Austria so we weren't too worried, as long as he couldn't email us. From his feedback he had a lot of people pissed.
    I'd certainly block his email if you haven't already. Does he live anywhere close to you? I'd still report his threats to law enforcement.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Bummer this is happening.
    You really should forward ALL e-mails to Both E-bay and Paypal, even after they have sided with you. If they know about him harassing you they WILL pull his accounts.

My only concern is that I shipped him something, meaning he has my home address too. Although he lives somewhere in the midwest if I remember correctly so it isnt as if he can come to my door, and if he does then I have to wonder at his sanity (and I would call the police at that point!). I blocked his email adress and the claims have been sent so I guess I just have to wait. Hopefully I wont be hearing from him anymore.