Thread: Bad Idea??

guineapiggy Guest

Bad Idea??

Ok well we are moving to Town in like 18 days and I have my two Guinea pigs I realy like them and all but..well I dont think they are the right pet for me
    You see Squiggles (Female 7 month old) she is mean and nasty when you pet her she will all of a sudden try to bite you she is a mean piggy and well I am not sure how she turned out like this.Then there is Buddy (1 1/2 year old Male) Buddy is a nice well temperd piggy but he still has his moments and well he is very loud poops alot (All pigs do) and well I dont have the time for ethier of them I dont play with them often enough I dont realy want to spend a bunch of money on them both when I dont think they are a good kind of pet for me =/ I want them to have a nice fun life for the rest of there life and that I am afraid I cant provide for them since I am not a good Guinea pig owner so I think I shoudl sell them to a better owner who will give them the Attention they need dont you?

It does sound like they need a better home. I would contact a rescue group near you, because you have not spent enough time with them, they are going to need major socialization before they should be anyone's pets.
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with karen but at least you are being responsible. Most people would just keep them and neglect them. You are willing to make sure they stay in good care <3

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

If you're not handling them much and fussing with them alot, that is why they have turned 'mean'. Guinea pigs have to basically be 'tamed' and need attention and handling to stay that way.

It's good that you know they'd be better off in someone else's home rather than just ignore them in the cages. I hope you find a good home for both of them.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

guineapiggy Guest
    Acctully I do spend time with them (Or I did) I would hold them and pet them when I fed them but Squiggles was kinda "Mean" and jumpy and everything when I got her I dident notice couse she was real scared and dident act mean or anything but when I setteled her in her new cage and everything she never liked being picked up but I would try to hold her everyday and she still acted Mean. I also think I am making the right choice by getting them new homes I hope I am doing the right thing I realy like them but dont have the right home for them.

Guinea pigs need to be handled from a young age to be properly tamed. I got my oldest one when he was 9 weeks old and it took a bit longer to tame him down. If you piggy was older when you got her and wasn't handled she may have not been tamed properly from the get go.

It's better to recognize that a pet is better suited to a different home and to find a proper owner for the pet than to just ignore and neglect the pet.

My mom always made me do alot of research and call vets to verify information so I could thouroughly (sp?) explain to her how I could properly take care of any pet I wanted. I've always stuck with that even now, and believe it's a very good idea for anyone thinking of getting a new pet.

I hope you find good homes for your piggy's with the right owners.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Can I ask why you got the guinea pigs in the first place? and not just one, but two?

Guinea pigs all have different personalities, just like other animals. if your piggie is mean, it is doubtful that she will ever completely change. I have had about 20 piggies in my lifetime, as well as breeding some of them. They have all been pretty good, but there was this one boy named Coffee, and he was just mean. As soon as you picked him up he would start to twist his head around to bite you. And boy his bites would go deep. After heaps of handling, his personality still didn't really change, but i did. I learnt how to hold him in ways to avoid getting bitten. Also, instead of holding him all the time, i spent more time sitting in his running pen and letting him play around me. He just wanted the freedom to move, and would always come up to me, or jump on my tummy if i was lying down. Even though i couldn't cuddle him for very long, he became one of my favourite piggies ever just cause he was so unique. also, in animals, usually the aggressive animals are the smartest. Their aggression is just their way of communicating how they feel. We just have to be smart enough to listen.

At the moment i only have one piggie, and he is fairly new. I have had him for about 4-5 monthes. I got him when he was 4 weeks old from a pet shop, he is a biter. my mum calls him little nipper. lol. I have been snuggling with him every night, and now he will fall asleep on me, but he tells me when he has had enough. He is so smart though, and uses the nips to tell me when he needs to go to the toilet. I have also taught him to spin. (It only took 1 week!) I have also curbed a lot of his biting habits with a spray bottle. I won't hit my piggie, but a little spray of water works a treat.

Anywayz... i hope you find your piggies a good home.

By the ways. Here is a pick of my current piggie Sahara doing his "spinning" trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udQILEb5GOM

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.

That video is so cute!!! Love the color of your piggy. My Cinnamon had one blotch over part of his face that color and I always thought it looked neat.

I never taught mine to spin but I did teach all 3 that I had to sit pretty. Actually I would just say 'two feet' and they would sit up high on their back legs only. One piggy book I had said they can't do that, but I guess someone forgot to show that part of the book to the piggies. ROFL

One of these days I simply have got to get that scanner fired up and get my piggy's pix on here. I might do that yet tomorrow.