Thread: Any anyone had Puppy experince at vet visit?

Any anyone had Puppy experince at vet visit?

Today was first time we went to the vet to do a routine check up & to meet the new vet since the other one had declined to better practice. She was very calm and very good, & alert until this BIG, FAT black/white dog came in. Jonnie just became very noisey then ever, wanted to go to the dog I wouldn't let her b/c she hasn't got rabies yet, and I didn't want her to catch anything from that dog.

I did brought treats & one of her toys she liked, but she was just too bouncy, whining to even being aware of any of it.

How do I settle her down when this happens again. What's your advice?

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

That sounds just like my Ginger's first trip to the vet. You can't do a whole lot at this point besides hold her collar to brace her and sit apart from the other dogs. One thing that I learned is to not comfort her or say Shh, it's ok because that reinforces her barking and pulling behaviors. Just try to be calm and hold her back. That being said, I have only been a dog owner for about 6 weeks now so others with more experience may chime in with something completely different
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Oh boy, sounds like Jack to a "T" when he was a pup .

The good news, she's young! I didn't start working with Jack and this problem until he was a little older, so it took much longer to correct.

I would enroll her into a puppy course NOW. Or when she's had all of her shots. The sooner the better, she will be able to interact with other dogs and learn the essentials. She only reacted the way she did because she doesn't know any better at this point.

I'm kind of busy at the moment so I can't go into great detail, and I'm sure others will chime in, but I'd work on desensitizing (working away from a distance and praise her when she's not focused on the other dog/distraction), or a watch me command.

But I really do think that some sort of puppy class would be the best thing for you to do at this point in time.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Thank You both of you! I'll have to take your advice and look for a good puppy class to join

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

Puppy classes are great, but not always available. There aren't any in my area. If there aren't any in your area just go lots of places where dogs are and teach your puppy to sit and stay. Each time getting closer to a dog. Not every dog encounter is going to be a play session and your puppy needs to learn this.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.