Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: pitbulls

Bear is adorable. I think his face looks like a pit bulls.

I own a pit bull and they are very, very hyper. Never ending energy. I walk Ebony every day, we walk, run. I live right by the high school so on the weekend I take all the dogs to the ball field (its fenced in) I play frisbee with Ebony, she loves that. She would do that all day long if I let her. Ebony and one of my other dogs Diamond are best of friends. They rough house a lot, that helps wear her out somewhat.

Ebony, turned 3 in March she has settled down somewhat but she still has plenty of energy. Do you have anywhere you can take Bear to let him run off leash? We are able to do that a lot because there is tons of wide open space where we live. I bet there are days you have a hard time keeping up with Bear. I know I had those days with Ebony. LOL.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Your pets sound Great! Bear isn't able to get off his leash we live on a pretty busy road, not only that but the road is close to the yard so I am too afraid to because the people drive around this corner we have really fast and I wouldn't want anything to happen to him. But, we take him to the park and he loves that. I want to try a frisbee with him, I think he would have fun with that. lol I see all the dogs do that now but I am not sure how he will respond to it. We have a lot of room for him to run around inside, but yeah it's not the same. I try to take him for a lot of walks to keep him healthy and to tire him out so he isnt a boring couch potato lol. Yes, I have a really hard time keeping up with him he is just so strong! He loves attention though, as most dogs do. He will get his ball and sit next to me and just whine at me, so I know he wants to go to the park and play. It is funny! We try to do as much as we can with him so he doesn't become a lazy dog! That and the vet said he will have problems with his hips and back legs if we don't keep him active when he get older that is. That's great that Diamond is there so they can play together, I dont think my boyfriend would like it if I brought home another dog though lol. I actually wanted to get one of Bear's brothers so they could stick together and be buddies but I knew they would be big and it's just too much for us!.
    Take care, talk to you soon.

Colleen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum. Hope to have many more.

To help in answering your question. Yes Pit Bulls have an instinct to fight. They have been bred for pit fighting for many, many generations. So via selective breeding they might have dog aggression or a fight drive. They are not trained to fight. They will either fight or not. Those that fight will either continue or they will quit. Those that will continue fighting no matter how long its been, how much injury they have, how tired they are ect were the dogs that were bred. The dogs that would quit would not be breed.

Things like good wrestling ability or hard bite have also shown to be genetic. These things can really not be taught so much either, but show to run in certain lines.

The age at which the dog becomes aggressive/interested in fighting might vary from line to line as well. Some lines might be early starters, those dogs would be very young say 6-9 months (sometimes you see younger pups) and want to fight. Others might be later starters and not show a desire to fight/aggression until they are 3 or 4yrs old. Typically most will say that they will turn on or become aggressive around 1-2yrs of age, when they are mature or maturing. They might be less tolerant of dogs. The signs are staring the other dogs down, low rumbling growl, whining, screaming, these are just some which show that the dog wants to fight. In certain cases the dog will head straight for a fight, because the owner has other dogs and they get along and play so the dog has the opportunity to start a fight with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree... I have met too many pitties from "fighting" lines that turn out to be absolute sweethearts... in the hands of the right and responsible owners.

I'm not shunning the fact altogether; try to get my Aussies to stop herding the cats and I'll beg to differ, but my point being is since I don't reinforce their herding instincts, it doesn't become problematic. RESPONSIBLE pit owners know their histories and know their instincts to know the proper environment to bring them up in as well as how to properly train and handle them, therefore I honestly and truly believe it is at least 90% in how they are trained and raised, and the environment they are raised in.
    What bloodlines were the dogs from? What were the ages of these?

Of course in the right hands they make great dogs. I wouldn't expect them to be less then sweethearts. They need responsible owners, those who realize that dog aggression or fighting ability is something their dog might develop. They must know that they shouldn’t trust the dog won’t ever fight, that the dog park is not a smart place for a pit, that they shouldn’t be left unsupervised with other dogs. It seems some people want to believe its all in how you raise them and that certain breeds are not really prone to dog or human aggression, just taught to be bad. This can actually be counter productive, newbies getting such a breed can lead to disaster, heartache, headache and even tragedy. Confusion, panic, worry why did he attack and try to kill that other dog, we never trained him to fight. For another breed why was he aggressive with that person, we didn’t train them to guard. It comes with the breed. Without accepting these traits one can’t be prepared to content with them.

Any good breeder knows that temperament can be genetic, that even personality traits can be passed on. If this was all just a scam and it came from 90-99% of training and raising there wouldn’t be a need for selective breeding.

In the case of pit fighting if it was simply due to mostly training then any breed could be trained to success. The fact is that its bred into them, not trained.

Since Pit pups can/have killed each other or seriously injured one another it is innate to them. You can’t train this type of thing in an 6-8wk old pup even if you wanted to.

Since litters might have to be separated due to serious fighting it is innate.

If it was all due to training (with only as little as 1-10% natural) then why not simply train good fighting dogs. Why was Honeybunch waited upon to turn on after she wouldn’t fight? Why not just train her to fight? Why wait on any dog to turn on? Why not just train the dogs to be aggressive and fight? Why would anyone (who’s a dog fighter of course) want to wait up to 3yrs for a dog to become dog aggressive when they could train this into the dog?

They can not have so much credit, not even 90% let alone 99. 1% would not be a big foundation to work on anyway. You’d have no luck there. They raise the dog up, when it turns on, they let it fight pitting it with another. Well that’s not really training a dog. It doesn’t require much of the owner, they just sit back and wait, patience is maybe it. They can’t take credit except conditioning if it were a match dog. Good conditioning can not make a dog game but it could help in a win. It can’t make the dog a better fighter, but it could help the dog sustain longer instead of needing to be picked up which would result in a loss. In that case they can take credit for good conditioning of their fighting dog, but not their dogs drive or gameness. The dog either has it or it does not. They would not waste the time on a dog that didn’t have it at all. If the dog had to be trained that would be a red flag. The dog is likely going to quit because it does not even really want to fight out of its own desire in the first place. Then that’d be a waste of time/money.

There is also that fact that dogs of cur blood decent would be just as good of fighters as those of fighting lines if all they’d need was training. Yet we know that is not the case.
    Last edited by Spicy_Bulldog; 06-04-2008 at 01:27 PM.

wlecome to pet talk spicy...EXCELLENT post.

Pit Bulls, when properly socialized don't have a mean bone in their body. Just like ANY other breed. They get a bad reputation. The news only tells the bad side. Never the good side of this breed. Never say how devoted they are to their families, How they are smart as a whip and easily trainable.

I myself have owned a Pittie. One of the best dogs I've ever had! Here are some pics of Brick. Look at these pics and tell me that Pitties are uncontrollably aggressive.

Brick being a goof.

Brick and me. He was such a lover. Not a mean thing about him.

Brick snuggling with the first pup I bottle fed. He loved this pup like it was his. Even tried to nurse it.

Me and Brick. He was my best friend. Unfortinatly he was too energetic and
    I didn't have the fenced yard that he needed to burn that energy.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Since we're posting Pittie photos.... My friend has a Pittie whom I consider my "god dog". We actually may be taking Sasha, the Pittie, in when my friend goes to college. Just depends on the home situation. I LOVE this dog - she is such a sweet heart. Very smart and athletic. She's smaller than Chloe but can clear a 4' gate from a stand still with room to spare! Such a rock solid, strong, adorable, wonderful, stable dog. She doesn't get along well with strange dogs (aka, random dog we meet on the street), but she loves to play with other dogs after a proper introduction at a house.

~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    Pit Bulls, when properly socialized don't have a mean bone in their body. Just like ANY other breed. They get a bad reputation. The news only tells the bad side. Never the good side of this breed. Never say how devoted they are to their families, How they are smart as a whip and easily trainable.

I myself have owned a Pittie. One of the best dogs I've ever had! Here are some pics of Brick. Look at these pics and tell me that Pitties are uncontrollably aggressive.

Brick being a goof.

Brick and me. He was such a lover. Not a mean thing about him.

Brick snuggling with the first pup I bottle fed. He loved this pup like it was his. Even tried to nurse it.

Me and Brick. He was my best friend. Unfortinatly he was too energetic and
    I didn't have the fenced yard that he needed to burn that energy.
    Yes Pit Bulls are like other breeds, just like any other breed they can have inherit temperament problems. Aggression, shyness, skittish, ect. Good breeders breed for proper temperament. Building on a solid foundation with training and socialization is your best bet for a balanced, confident, sociable dog.

Brick is a beautiful dog. I absolutely love brindles like him! What a stunner. Your jeans look like mine at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
    Since we're posting Pittie photos.... My friend has a Pittie whom I consider my "god dog". We actually may be taking Sasha, the Pittie, in when my friend goes to college. Just depends on the home situation. I LOVE this dog - she is such a sweet heart. Very smart and athletic. She's smaller than Chloe but can clear a 4' gate from a stand still with room to spare! Such a rock solid, strong, adorable, wonderful, stable dog. She doesn't get along well with strange dogs (aka, random dog we meet on the street), but she loves to play with other dogs after a proper introduction at a house.

That will be cool if you take her. Yes 4ft is very easy for a Pit to clear. Does she have any Bull Terrier in her lineage? She is pretty. Another brindle!

I love seeing everyones Pit pics. I've got tons of pics myself. Love APBTs!

Here is some of my pics.

This is a pile of bull

That will be cool if you take her. Yes 4ft is very easy for a Pit to clear. Does she have any Bull Terrier in her lineage? She is pretty. Another brindle!
    I don't know what her lineage is. My friend got her from someone who took her for one of their friends after they couldn't afford to feed her anymore. Sasha was given to Brittany saying, "She's pure, but no papers and may be pregnant."
    No idea of the age, how far along she may be, nothing. Brittany ran into the original original owner and when Britt asked about Sasha's age he said, "Oh, I don't know....a year, maybe?"
    We took Sasha to the vet and they said she was at least 2 1/2 and wasn't pregnant, but from the looks of her had had a litter before.
    So who knows where she came from or what she has in her. I love her though. Her only fault is because she was passed around so many times she has some mild seperation anxiety (thus the reason she was clearing the gates), but it would be easily worked with.

And Spicy, you have some good looking dogs! Very muscled and lean - how a Pittie should be, not the pigs that some people are breeding.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

In my experience, Pit Bulls are a great breed. I have rescued, fostered, and owned them for over 4 yrs now. Yes, I know that is not much experience, but I have learned a lot and am still learning. I have fallen in love with the "Bully Breed" dogs. Pitties, Staffs, and AmStaffs are all misunderstood breeds...they just want to please thier owners and be loved....don't we all?

Allow me to show my love and add to the pictures!!

Memphis and Casper (member him??)

Baby and Penny

Jameson and Rex

Bentley and his Rainbow Bridge Mom, Lady....You all remember her I'm sure.

Beautiful (with my oldest son) and our boy Scruff (with some rescue kitties)

I have TONS more, but that would be a whole new thread of its own!!!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Everyone who knows me I LOVE, LOVE pit bulls. they are by far my favorite breed. I am so passionate about them any "bully" breed really but especially pit bulls. they are the clowniest, goofiest, most loyal, friendly, and they want to please you and they do it so well! they have the best "smiles" and kisses in the whole wide world! I hope to own one someday, rescued of course. I just adore this wonderful breed to KNOW them is to LOVE them! I have came across so many pit bulls while volunteering and working at the shelter I just have fallen head over heels for them. there is nothing better than seeing a smile and face like this. this is Montee, he's where I work and the most awesome guy. I would take him home in a second if I could if we didn't have a house full! he's such a great ambassador for the breed.

Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Its so cool seeing people that love the Pits and bullies. I hope more can learn about them and grow to know the real breed.

Reachoutrescue that is a nice group of dogs. I like Baby the best, but they're all cute. Another person with tons of pics! I don't feel so alone..lol I too had one named Bentley, a female, she was a rescue.

Loveofallhorses Montee looks like such a sweet dog. He's cute too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
    I don't know what her lineage is. My friend got her from someone who took her for one of their friends after they couldn't afford to feed her anymore. Sasha was given to Brittany saying, "She's pure, but no papers and may be pregnant."
    No idea of the age, how far along she may be, nothing. Brittany ran into the original original owner and when Britt asked about Sasha's age he said, "Oh, I don't know....a year, maybe?"
    We took Sasha to the vet and they said she was at least 2 1/2 and wasn't pregnant, but from the looks of her had had a litter before.
    So who knows where she came from or what she has in her. I love her though. Her only fault is because she was passed around so many times she has some mild seperation anxiety (thus the reason she was clearing the gates), but it would be easily worked with.

And Spicy, you have some good looking dogs! Very muscled and lean - how a Pittie should be, not the pigs that some people are breeding.
    Sounds like another shady person. I'm glad she is such a great dog, I hope you get the chance to have her. No matter what her lineage is she looks like a happy dog and very pretty too.

Had to throw a couple more pics..

Last edited by Spicy_Bulldog; 06-10-2008 at 05:09 PM.

He is such a wonderful dog, Spicy. He gives so many kisses and he LOVES milkbones. He just loves everything and everyone. He was really good with my co-workers' dog I forgot she was out there and she is a longhaired chihuahua and he just tried to kiss her. his "owners" suck though he actually jumped off a bridge we think he was pushed off.
    he is fine though he had to have 5 teeth extracted he fell on his face and he hurt his leg but he's all fine now and all ready to go for adoption once he has another check up at the vets. If I didn't have a house full, he'd so come home with me.

your pups are gorgeous. Blackrose I am in love with Sadie! ReachoutRescue, I love all of those babies. God, I just adore the breed. everyone has such beautiful dogs.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Sounds like another shady person. I'm glad she is such a great dog, I hope you get the chance to have her. No matter what her lineage is she looks like a happy dog and very pretty too.
    I know. She came from a bad part of town and my friend has had more than one person say she would be a good fighting dog. I'm glad that Britt is the one who took Sasha in, even though Britt is the less than ideal owner. She lets Sasha run loose (unspayed near a busy road), does no training with her (but has no problem yelling at her when she does something "wrong"), and only walks her for a total of three blocks a day (when she stayed with us I took her on a two mile walk once a day and the dog could have easily jogged twice the distance).
    IMO, it is a bad situation for a sensitive, intelligent, athletic, active dog like Sasha. But at least she's not being fought, isn't in the shelter, and has food, vetcare, toys, and a warm place to sleep.

I hope I can take her in too. My mom, however, will be less than thrilled. She doesn't like Pit Bulls and she says that Sasha gives her the creeps and she feels like she's going to be eaten.
    My younger brother, however, ADORES Sasha. He was really attached to the Leader Dog puppy we raised, Sadie, and he's really missed having "his" dog. When we watched Sasha he really clicked with her. I think he likes her as much as I do. Nobody else in the family minded her either, even my dad (which just about blew my socks off).

Tracy, I love seeing all the Pitties you've saved! They are all very special dogs!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.