Thread: Which breed/best trained?

Which breed/best trained?

We've all been impressed by trained dogs we see on t.v., but which breed was the best trained dog you've encountered in real life?

Mine would be a Miniature Poodle. This was my friend's dog when I was growing up. Not only could she do all kinds of fancy tricks, you could take her for a walk around the neighborhood without a leash and she never ran off. I was always impressed with how well trained she was.

So... which breeds has anyone else been impressed by?

Can't really say. I own sighthounds, and commiserate with people who own sighthounds, thus I must enjoy a challenge!

But I used to work fir a groomer. So I have to say that among our "regulars" I think it was a standard Poodle that was the best trained. And a real sweetheart!

He never needed a lead; we'd just tell him what we wanted him to do, and he'd do it. Grooming table? no problem. Bathtub? no problem (needed help getting in, though - it was tall!). He was cool. Liked to play games too. He would often smile at me, and offer me a paw, just so I'd come over and he could lick me! It was rather entertaining!
    Sarah, the human, Naples the Greyhound, Cooper, and Manero the Borzoi boys.
    Always in our hearts, Gunnar, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hair of the Dog by Doc's Blend GPA-WI NBRF

I think a dobermann is the best trained I've encountered. This dog was a robot. Its was kind of off-putting to watch him work. I am around so many dogs though its hard to remember who's impressed me. Autumn is definately one of the smartest dogs I know (toller). She catches on very quickly to new concepts and she knows a lot of words and commands. But, she also knows what she can get away with and likes to cut corners when she can.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Tanner?

My Yorkie, Tanner, can dance, sing, hi-five, shake, say "please", roll over, beg, and balance a treat on his nose for as long as I tell him to. I can walk him without a leash, but I am scared other dogs might try to play with him and be too rough. After all, he weighs only 8 pounds. He never destroyed anything but toilet paper, and he is one and a half years old. He sleeps with me (yes, in my bed) every night, and he sits by the door when he needs to go. Might I add that he can also pose for the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tannermama; 06-09-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Seriously? Haha. Definitely a Border Collie of sorts. Can't say in particular which BC, but BC's are definitely one of your most biddable/"love-to-learn-and-work" dogs.

I've read that border collies and poodles are the smartest dogs. I've had chihuahuas for years and I think that they are pretty smart. I and my brother were once outsmarted by a chihuahua, we were chasing her around a coffee table, I was at one end and my brother at the other. We thought we had her trapped but then she made her getaway from behind the couch. I just stood there stunned because making a getaway from behind the couch would never have occurred to me.

http://dogshop.50webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by emc View Post
    I've read that border collies and poodles are the smartest dogs.
    I have read that in many places as well. I have had poodles all of my life and have found it to be so. My first poodle, a female toy, was housebroken in a weekend. That pretty much sold me on the breed. I think GSD's are also at the top of that list.

outside of my own Border collies, it would have to go to a toy poodle name Bobby..she's kinda famous, #1 obedience dog in Canada, she is so darn adorable to watch lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Surprise Surprise

Yes, I own a dalmatian. Yes, I may seem biased. But she's not normal, I swear. Never has. Lol Dalmatians actually aren't stupid, just short attention spans. BUT, she was never potty trained. The people who had her before me had a pug and Honda learned from the pug. She knows many tricks, I do not have to keep her on a leash at all, I just do when I should because I cannot trust other people. I am sure many of you will agree with me. And I just sometimes think she isn't dalmatian because she's not hyper at all. She's ten now, but I got her when she was three and her temperment and attitude have not changed. My parents dislike dogs very much but they say if she didn't shed so much or poop, she would be the best dog. Lol But I definitely know dogs, and I know they don't rank much on the "dog smartness" scale. Lol, but there is always that one in a million.

I think ANY breed can be the best trained - it takes time and effort. all of our dogs are trained fully except our new pup, Rudy. he's still learning and he's only about 3 months old. I think any dog mixed or purebred is best trained with proper training - it doesn't matter on breed IMO but the best trained dog I have owned was a pit bull mix when I was growing up she was SMART! Pit bulls are very intelligent and smart. I think I could list a lot of breeds that are simple to train but with pit bulls they are eager to please you and they are easy to train.

Labs take a lot to train but they're worth it! they ARE very smart so are goldens. Border collies are easy to train. Hounds are also easy to train, any dog is easy to train unless you have a stubborn dog like my Jenny. she's a rottie mix and she was hard to train - I don't think it's because of her breed, it's just because she's stubborn but today she knows how to sit, stay, and lay down and come (unless she gets out of the yard she won't come!)

all in all, I think any dog can be easy to train even the most stubborn dogs!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I think ANY breed can be the best trained - it takes time and effort. all of our dogs are trained fully except our new pup, Rudy. he's still learning and he's only about 3 months old. I think any dog mixed or purebred is best trained with proper training - it doesn't matter on breed IMO but the best trained dog I have owned was a pit bull mix when I was growing up she was SMART! Pit bulls are very intelligent and smart. I think I could list a lot of breeds that are simple to train but with pit bulls they are eager to please you and they are easy to train.

Labs take a lot to train but they're worth it! they ARE very smart so are goldens. Border collies are easy to train. Hounds are also easy to train, any dog is easy to train unless you have a stubborn dog like my Jenny. she's a rottie mix and she was hard to train - I don't think it's because of her breed, it's just because she's stubborn but today she knows how to sit, stay, and lay down and come (unless she gets out of the yard she won't come!)

all in all, I think any dog can be easy to train even the most stubborn dogs!
    Oh, I agree

This is a tough question. I'm around a lot of dogs so it's hard to pin point one. The Aussies are highly intelligent. The dogs I work with. If you tell them to "kennel in" no matter where they are or what they are doing they stop and run for their kennel doors.

The woman that ownes the Aussies also has a Swedish Vallhund named Chyna. This dog shocks me every time I see her. She acts like she understand ehat you are saying. She tells you in the most subtle way that she needs out. She knows when it's supper time and opens her crate and gets ready to eat. She doesn't get out of the crate until every last kibble is gone. She knows that too. So if she doesn't eat it all she just lays there. But the moment that bowl is empty, by gosh you better let her out.

Standard poodles seem to be pretty intelligent as well. When you go to a dog show you see poodles sleeping on their grooming tables. Sometimes for hours. Never being leashed. Some of the poodle owners even leave the room with the dog still on the table. The dogs never budge.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

That is hard, I've known so many smart dogs. Also so many well trained dogs, which doesn't always mean the smartest. Going on well trained.

I'd say
    American Pit Bull Terrier, Cane Corso, Boxer, Belgian Malinois, Bedlington Terrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I have read that in many places as well. I have had poodles all of my life and have found it to be so. My first poodle, a female toy, was housebroken in a weekend. That pretty much sold me on the breed. I think GSD's are also at the top of that list.
    House training is always a big plus. Mine are usually potty trained in a few days. You got to love it. Leaves so much time for the fun training and play.

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    This is a tough question. I'm around a lot of dogs so it's hard to pin point one. The Aussies are highly intelligent. The dogs I work with. If you tell them to "kennel in" no matter where they are or what they are doing they stop and run for their kennel doors.

The woman that ownes the Aussies also has a Swedish Vallhund named Chyna. This dog shocks me every time I see her. She acts like she understand ehat you are saying. She tells you in the most subtle way that she needs out. She knows when it's supper time and opens her crate and gets ready to eat. She doesn't get out of the crate until every last kibble is gone. She knows that too. So if she doesn't eat it all she just lays there. But the moment that bowl is empty, by gosh you better let her out.

Standard poodles seem to be pretty intelligent as well. When you go to a dog show you see poodles sleeping on their grooming tables. Sometimes for hours. Never being leashed. Some of the poodle owners even leave the room with the dog still on the table. The dogs never budge.
    Yeah routine things are pretty easy to condition a dog too. It is very convenient.

I've heard that S. Poodles are one of the smartest breeds out there. I think there are lots of high intelligence breeds.

I would have to say that the "best trained dog" I personally have ever met is a tie between two of PT's own - Kay's Kiara (Kay's) and Ashley's Jack.
    (And I'm not even sure of their breeds - Ki is a mix, I think Jack is a lab)

Those two are amazing! They know many commands & tricks. (Well, maybe Kiara has a little edge over Jack in the obedience dept. But Jack is quite a showman!)

And I can't say what I'm more impressed with: Kay & Ashley's training ability, or Kiara & Jack's accomplishments! I guess I'm impressed with them all.

I've also heard poodles are highly trainable & easy to work with... ahem, having huskies, I wouldn't know about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Hounds are also easy to train <snip>
    Not sure I'd go that far. Hounds are very intelligent, but are also independant, having been bred to do their work with little human intervention. Many are a challenge to train, because of that.

For example, have you ever heard that Afghan hounds are one of the stupidest breeds? I very, very highly disagree with that statement. I have had contact wth a few Afghans, and have shown one. They are very, very intelligent dogs. But they are not trainable in the same way as a Border Collie, or other breeds that were bred to work directly for humans. It's no wonder there are few hound breeds with members who have advanced obedience titles.

Hounds require creative training methods, often making them think they are doing what they want to do.
    Sarah, the human, Naples the Greyhound, Cooper, and Manero the Borzoi boys.
    Always in our hearts, Gunnar, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hair of the Dog by Doc's Blend GPA-WI NBRF