Page 79 of 257 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 3853

Thread: Politics and religion.

Sotomayor - Roberts - Alito

Check out This Link - see how very much they think alike.

After reading it, I figured they all had the same speech writer

2. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Check out This Link - see how very much they think alike.

After reading it, I figured they all had the same speech writer
    Yes, bland, bland and bland.

Jon Stewart's July 14 show has a great bit on the hearings. Especially the "Moment of Zen" with the two boys fast asleep!

Oh! The banality of it....

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

Still tittering.....Could I do that on a cellphone?
    Tried it, didn't work.

-------------

BO investing in new water technology for the U.S. and the world.

Barack Obama is looking for investments to bolster the latest scientific research in the area of powdered water.

He plans to market the powdered water to the only logical place on the planet-The Middle East. "If we can begin production of powdered water on a large scale, we can open up a trade agreement with the countries that are located in the ME." Obama said. "We can then use the leverage to possibly trade for oil or reduce the cost of buying petroleum products from the area. Who doesn't like a fresh glass of water while they are stumbling around in the desert?"

So now the brilliant nominee is shown as what she is, just as banal as Shrubco's picks. No wonder they are throwing her softball questions to ramble through.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Oh! The banality of it....
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    So now the brilliant nominee is shown as what she is, just as banal as Shrubco's picks. No wonder they are throwing her softball questions to ramble through.
    Well, they had to throw softball questions.

BO was pitching the game of his life at the All-Star Game.

They pulled him after the first pitch because of his jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Well, they had to throw softball questions.

BO was pitching the game of his life at the All-Star Game.

They pulled him after the first pitch because of his jeans.
    I thought they pulled him for allmost bouncing the ball in front of the plate?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

So is it ironic or sad that a proffessional comedian is now a senator?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

So is it ironic or sad that a proffessional comedian is now a senator?
    No better, nor worse, than a song-and-dance man as Senator (George Murphy, R-Ca.).

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    No better, nor worse, than a song-and-dance man as Senator (George Murphy, R-Ca.).
    Or the three female stooges from Cah Lee Fuh Nee ah?

I could see them slapping each other around while they went thru menopause.

Street rat craaaazeeee!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    California has had two governors who were "B" movie actors. One went on to be what some consider a good president.

I do not know what is the "right" or "wrong" former occupation for a politician. Sarah Palin was a sports reporter, right?

Al Franken is a Havard graduate and author in addition to be a comedy writer and performer. I know....I have all his books....

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Not to mention, he was also a tool maker, a miner, a real estate agent, chairman of the CA Republican Comittee, and president of SAG. Ild say that makes Mr Murphy far better then a comedian/comentator.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Not to mention, he was also a tool maker, a miner, a real estate agent, chairman of the CA Republican Comittee, and president of SAG. Ild say that makes Mr Murphy far better then a comedian/comentator.
    Maybe yes; maybe no. Guess we will have to wait and see how Senator Franken's term plays out.

BTW, Mr. Franken is also an author, and USO volunteer. Earlier this year, he was presented with the USO's Merit Award for his 10 years of service to the organization through visiting injured and deployed service members.

Excellent article on Palin. This pretty well sums it up.

John McNamara Writer and Producer
    July 15, 2009 01:31 PM

Palin: Idiot? Genius? Or Something Else?

She's too cunning to be labeled stupid.

She doesn't read, write or speak well enough to be called intelligent.

She loves the camera and the camera loves her right back.

She has the ability to constantly surprise and unsettle -- kind of like a stalker, appearing at odd hours on the door step with a tray of "I'm sorry I set your desk on fire but I love you" cupcakes, smilingly oblivious to the restraining order.

So let's add it up:

Not a moron.

But not smart.

Charismatic.

Determined.

Full of surprises.

What does it all mean?

Cary Grant had a theory. A career is like a crowded bus. When your ride is up, you get off and someone else gets on, taking your place. Not another you, necessarily but a younger, fresher someone who fills a similar space. You could argue that just as Cary Grant stepped down onto the curb, Tom Hanks grabbed the rail, so that older affable, shrewd, enduring, iconic star with a gigantic appeal and talent to match gracefully made way for the next generation of same.

I think there's a lot of truth to what we'll call The Cary Grant Theorem and it's borne out by the two biggest cable news cycle events of the last 30 days:

Michael Jackson got off the bus.

And Sarah Palin grabbed his seat, probably knocking a few old ladies like Ann Coulter and Newt Gingrich out of the way.

Because like Michael Jackson, Sarah Palin, more than anything else, is a weirdo.

Is she Jackson-level weird? Not yet. But Michael Jackson was famous for forty years. She hasn't even been famous eleven months. And she's plenty weird already. Which is kind of an achievement in itself. I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone in the public eye who's shot this high, this fast, starting out a little odd and then, in mid-ascent, before all eyes, blossomed like a display of Fourth of July fireworks into a bursting full tilt, hi-def, fruit loop weird-plosion.

Michael Jackson's music stopped entertaining us long ago. His fame was his life, his life was bizarre and the arc of that life was on a downward trajectory. But he blazed as he fell. And we all watched. He played his part, we played ours. He needed to be looked at with awed eyes and open mouths.

Palin, arching upward now, has the exact same need. She does not have the need to identify and fix problems. She does not have the ability to think of others outside her enabling, tight circle.

She certainly does not have the capacity or character to lead.

Based on her having resigned from two of the most important posts she's held in her political career, day to day governance bores and annoys her.

What she has is the need to amass power.

Sarah Palin seeks fame in order to make more fame then live on that fame, then hunt down more fame still, then live inside fame, until fame finally consumes her.

Sarah Palin will dominate the public stage for as long as she wants to. She may never be at the center of it but she will be a loud, bright, ongoing side show for a long, long time.

We need to keep her happy and far, far away from any real power.

The idea of electing her to an office that has an American eagle on the carpet and a view of a rose garden is as frightening to imagine as going back in time to an alternate universe in 1992 -- where the ribbon is being cut on The Micheal Jackson Cuddle 'N Tickle Day Care Center.

Like Jackson's desire to play peek a boo with six-year-olds, Palin's desire to become a world leader should create waves of genuine panic then a constant storm of jokes, to be rained down upon her hourly, forever.

These jokes are crucial to nullifying her. She has no sense of humor and she actually takes them personally then engages in battles with TV hosts and comedians. Her inability to let the tiniest critique roll off her back could save us from that Judgment Day missile launch her fervent little Book of Revelations heart may desire.

Palin jokes are like Ali's rope-a-dope strategy with Foreman -- drive her crazy (well, -er), tire her out, taunt her to her feet, repeat, keeping her in the fight and well away from actual decisions.

In other words, Man's Only Hope could be David Letterman.

In the meantime, watch her.

Watch the drive, the focus, the paranoia, and most of all that little extra something you catch in the smile, glimpse in the high voice or the rambling, self-justifying speeches that seem like alien messages from another planet being beamed into her head, all of it adding up to a dominant trait only Michael Jackson showcased with the same hungry pride:

Weirdness heard the world over; weirdness that will live forever and, most disturbingly, weirdness that will attract, amass and empower the even-weirder.

Call it The Corey Feldman Theorem.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Excellent article on Palin. This pretty well sums it up.
    Schadenfreude.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

These are the only requirements for the office of United States Senator that are specified in Article I, Section 3 of the U. S. Constitution.

Individuals must be:

* at least 30 years old.

* a U.S. citizen for at least nine years at the time of election to the Senate.

* a resident of the state one is elected to represent in the Senate.

No mention of previous job experience, no Law degree required, not even a mention of education.