Page 54 of 257 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Richard you are SO funny!!!

First off, why do you think she will cross over before you do?

Plus, you don't twitter on the phone, you twitter on a computer. Right?
    WTF do I know?

I am living to be 200 anyway.......

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post

I was interviewing a candidate for a sales job - on the phone. He tells me he likes to discuss scriptures with clients. He tells me a story of falling on his kness in the men's room for advice on a difficult sale.

Don't tell me,,, he didn't get the job, right? TMI fella.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I had the most interestingly attack of silliness when I heard this phrase on the tube.

"You will be defeated."

Now if I remember correctly, another person made a comment that was something like, "Bring it on!" and people fainted in the streets, toddlers cried, animals attacked humans and the end of the world was nigh!

So, here we go again....People challenging terrorists! One guy asks for the challenge and the other makes it a point to say that they will get whupped!

Does anyone know if there is lead paint or asbestos in the Oval Office and how quickly would it affect anyone working there?

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    As for virgin births: cloning is an example of a modern day version of it.

Possible now but not 2000 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    Possible now but not 2000 years ago.
    With God, all things are possible.

He's gazillions of times smarter than people. We just took this long to figure this much out. We may never know for sure how the virgin birth happened but then, we aren't supposed to know EVERYTHING. Our tiny brains would probably explode!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If we aren't supposed to know we wouldn't have been told in the first place. IMO, accepting something as fact w/out question isn't faith, it's gullibility. Also, IMO, God wants us to investigate further; that's how we learn and build our faith.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    IMO, accepting something as fact w/out question isn't faith, it's gullibility.

Oh, but it is. It is the very definition of faith.

Main Entry: 1faith
    Pronunciation: \ˈfāth\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\
    Etymology: Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide
    Date: 13th century

1 a: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1): fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions
    2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust
    3: something that is believed especially with strong conviction ; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>
    synonyms see belief
    — on faith : without question <took everything he said on faith>
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Here's my acid test.....

No, not THAT kind of acid!

Start out in the morning and look for that flower in your neighborhood.

Then look at a tree.

Walk by a school full of kids.

Have an apple for lunch.

Go check out a pet store and look at the fishes

Watch the sun go down, the stars light up and the moon rise in the sky.

Someone or something has been hard at work putting all that shiat around us.

He might be a brown haired,blue eyed dude, someone who cannot be drawn in any manner, a prophet or the head of a 'pseudo religion' based in Lost Angeles.

They don't have the chops to explain anything about the world came to be.

It's way bigger that you, I, our pets or the internet.

Faith is good, IT's when we start making my god better than yours when we get into problems.

At one time, people had complete trust that the earth was flat until it could be disproved. IMO, that wasn't faith; it was gullibility. They questioned it and found out differently.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Faith is good, IT's when we start making my god better than yours when we get into problems.
    Amen, RICHARD.

I find, also, that some of what passes as faith is actually fear, fear of what might happen to someone if they don't believe a certain way. Some people act, not out of love, but out of fear and of having to be right, i.e., "Well, that's the way it is because and I don't question it." Look at how many people had put their faith in not eating meat on Fridays, only to be told later that it's ok now. The rule has been rescinded. Questioning is good. Blind acceptance, IMO, is folly and oft times dangerous. If my God can't stand up to a little scrutiny, how powerful can s/he be and why would I put my faith, my trust in a deity like that? The tested quality of our faith works out endurance.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Amen, RICHARD.

I find, also, that some of what passes as faith is actually fear, fear of what might happen to someone if they don't believe a certain way. Some people act, not out of love, but out of fear and of having to be right, i.e., "Well, that's the way it is because and I don't question it." Look at how many people had put their faith in not eating meat on Fridays, only to be told later that it's ok now. The rule has been rescinded. Questioning is good. Blind acceptance, IMO, is folly and oft times dangerous. If my God can't stand up to a little scrutiny, how powerful can s/he be and why would I put my faith, my trust in a deity like that? The tested quality of our faith works out endurance.

You can question people's reasons for faith, but it doesn't change what
    faith is & is not. It is not ignorance,fear or being right.

The eating meat on Friday was not right or wrong, it was a custom that
    signified a giving up something of value as an offering to God. It was like
    a penance. It is still practiced during Lent by many Catholics out of choice.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post

I don't disagree w/you. However, it was a custom, as you call it, that people didn't deviate from for fear of going to hell. At least that's what my Catholic friends told me and they were dismayed when they were told that there was a new ruling on the matter. It isn't my intention to find fault w/religion nor to argue. I've made my point.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post

One last thing, though: (sorry ) Earlier you had asked if the meaning of the word Christian has changed and, in turn, Puckstop asked what being a Christian means to you. W/out scrolling back, I can't recall if you addressed the question and, if so, I guess I missed it. My apologies in advance if you had. (We rather got off topic w/the discussion of faith.)
    Blessings,
    Mary

I don't disagree w/you. However, it was a custom, as you call it, that people didn't deviate from for fear of going to hell. At least that's what my Catholic friends told me and they were dismayed when they were told that there was a new ruling on the matter. It isn't my intention to find fault w/religion nor to argue. I've made my point.
    That reminds me of a cartoon I saw (in the New Yorker, maybe?) soon after the Catholic Church said it's okay now to eat meat on Fridays except during Lent:

Scene: Satan on his throne in hell with the fires burning around... A little devil has come up and is asking "Okay, now what do we do with all those people who ate meat on Fridays?"
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Your Catholic friends were wrong in labeling that as a mortal sin. I don't
    want to argue either. Peace.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt