Page 35 of 257 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

My daughter had to critic the debate for a political science class. It is pretty interesting, things that we would not have noticed if she had not been asked to notice. One of the questions is whether or not the canditate looks into the camera or do they look around at other things and look down.

McCain always looked down and around and pretty much anywhere but the camera, Obama stared right into the camera.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Obama stared right into the camera.
    The telepromter is in line with the camera isnt it?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    The telepromter is in line with the camera isnt it?
    On a camera? Yes.

The other setup for a TP is one monitor set-up on either side of a podium/stand. Those are the square panes of glass that you see on the stage.

The monitor where the text is displayed is set pointing upwards.
    The pane of glass that reflects the text is slanted 45 degrees (top edge of the glass from a vertical position) toward the person that is giving the speech.

The camera mounted TP hangs off the front of the camera and the pane of glass is set in in front of the lense so the person can read text and look 'into' the camera.

---------------

Each candidate has speech writers and "consultants" who advise them as to where to look, which hand gestures that aren't cool and what not to do while on camera/stage.

Do not confuse anything you see as sincere when a politician speaks.

As in a regular conversation with someone, looking away when you are speaking to them is considered rude and shows disrespect to that person.

BO was schooled to look into the camera, to make a connection with the audience. That's an old one. Politicians are told that eye contact is essential when talking to people. That was a mistake on BO's part. He's debating JM, not the audience. Looking down and checking a cheat sheet and making tic marks on the copy is not a bad thing. It means you are prepared with 'notes' for your presentation, it also means you need help to set up a thought or answer to a question.

Three things about Obama- He is only eloquent when being fed a speech, He cannot speak off the cuff or deviate from a script- His Ums and Ahs are part of his character that his toadies cannot control about him.

His bravado only serves to get him farther up the creek when he gets caught up in the crowd reaction. He starts to puff out his chest and starts to pace.

The last thing is the facial/body language. He 'jumps' onto the stage like an sports figure taking the court. He does the bounce, hand clap and pointing into the audience.

That entrance, the 'talking smack/rile up the audience' is more suited to sports gamesmanship. It shows that you are there to be lauded by the audience-Not the other way around. You are supposed to be there for the people...Entrances like that are just "HEY LOOK AT ME, IT"S ABOUT ME!" - It just puts the person above the crowd and not 'inviting' them to a level where everyone is equal.
    --------------------

Clinton 'invented' the CREDIT CARD gesture because his toadies thought that his finger pointing gestures were standoffish. They told him to use it instead of a finger.

The CCG is the fist balled up with the thumb on top, like you were handing off a credit card. YOu see it all the time now. Another 'gesture' for politicians who talk with their hands? Holding on the side of the podium.

When you listen or see a politician talk, stop and look at their gestures, tones and the cadence in their speech. You'll see a how insincere/honest they are.

Check it out.

I sort of like this idea. There were minutes in the first debate where
    it was really necessary.

New Debate Rules Allow For One 15-Second Strangulation
    September 25, 2008 |

OXFORD, MS—Amid discussions of possibly postponing the debate altogether, Sens. Barack Obama (D-IL) and John McCain (R-AZ) were able to agree Thursday on a new guideline that would allow each candidate one 15-second strangulation during Friday night's presidential debate. "Both candidates will receive two minutes to answer each question, five minutes for discussion, and a one-time-only option to walk over to their opponent's podium and cut off his oxygen supply for up to 15 seconds," a statement from the Commission on Presidential Debates read in part, also specifying that debate moderator Jim Lehrer can exercise his own discretion in determining whether or not the strangulations go over time. "After being choked, the candidate, if still standing, may counter with one of his two allotted empty beer bottles to the head." Because many have agreed the new rule will benefit McCain, the commission has also allotted Obama an optional double-thumbed eye gouge.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I sort of like this idea. There were minutes in the first debate where
    it was really necessary.

New Debate Rules Allow For One 15-Second Strangulation
    September 25, 2008 |

OXFORD, MS—Amid discussions of possibly postponing the debate altogether, Sens. Barack Obama (D-IL) and John McCain (R-AZ) were able to agree Thursday on a new guideline that would allow each candidate one 15-second strangulation during Friday night's presidential debate. "Both candidates will receive two minutes to answer each question, five minutes for discussion, and a one-time-only option to walk over to their opponent's podium and cut off his oxygen supply for up to 15 seconds," a statement from the Commission on Presidential Debates read in part, also specifying that debate moderator Jim Lehrer can exercise his own discretion in determining whether or not the strangulations go over time. "After being choked, the candidate, if still standing, may counter with one of his two allotted empty beer bottles to the head." Because many have agreed the new rule will benefit McCain, the commission has also allotted Obama an optional double-thumbed eye gouge.

Can you post a link to this story?

Actually the next debate will have MMA rules in place, No biting, strikes to the back of the head, no bending fingers, gouging or kicking or knee strikes to the head when your opponent has knees on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Can you post a link to this story?

Actually the next debate will have MMA rules in place, No biting, strikes to the back of the head, no bending fingers, gouging or kicking or knee strikes to the head when your opponent has knees on the ground.

Actually, I do. What's MMA?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Actually, I do. What's MMA?
    Cage fighting/mixed martial arts!
    Wouldn't that be a hoot?

JM in a pair of boxing shorts!

LOL

So much for an impartial moderator at the veep debate.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76645

Oh and before you rag on WND as a biased source, (which it can be at times) please preorder the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-P.../dp/038552501X
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    LOL

So much for an impartial moderator at the veep debate.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76645

Oh and before you rag on WND as a biased source, (which it can be at times) please preorder the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-P.../dp/038552501X

Well, I can see that the converstation will be like should BO lose in November with that twit.

WHat royalties are you getting by selling the book? I can get it in the 99 cent bin at the local Target in Feb!

Regarding Ifill's book - it's not as though anyone was trying to hide the existence of it. From Politico -

October 01, 2008
    Categories: Debates
    Ifill's book was no secret

Michelle Malkin and World Net Daily have made a lot of noise today about the fact the Gwen Ifill, the moderator of Thursday's debate, has a new book coming on Inauguration day about Barack Obama and the politics of race -- leading to the front of Drudge.

Fox's Greta Van Susteren reports that the McCain campaign didn't know about it.

"I am stunned….the campaign (actually both) should have been told before the campaign agreed to have her moderate. It simply is not fair -- in law, this would create a mistrial."

But one didn't have to go the lengths of oppo research to find out about a book that was hiding in plain sight on Amazon. Not to mention, She discussed it with Howard Kurtz last month in the Washington Post, in the only profile she's done before the debate. (And I'd imagine someone in the campaign should have read it).

To the extent she can carve out any spare time, Ifill is working on a book called "Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama." She focuses on the Democratic nominee and such up-and-coming black politicians as Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

"We're very lazy when we think about race in this country," Ifill says. "We try to put it in a box. It's Jesse versus Al, or Jesse and Al versus everyone else," she says, referring to Jackson and Sharpton. "We love simplistic conflict. There's a whole group of people who have Ivy League degrees and immense accomplishments who actually benefited from the things their parents were fighting for."

Regardles, the story's getting major play on cable, especially Fox News.

Speaking with Bill Hemmer, Fox analyst Juan Williams spoke admirably of Ifill as a journalist but admitted that "it looks like she has some investment" in the outcome of the election, and that "there's a perception problem." The FoxNews.com headline: "VP Debate Moderator Pens Pro-Obama Book."

I think Malkin and other critics have a right to raise questions about whether Ifill should be moderating, but at the same time, it's not as if the veteran PBS journalist has been keeping the book under wraps until now. It's also a logical question to ask whether an Obama book would sell better or worse depending on the outcome of the election. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that if Obama's sworn in on the Jan. 20 pub date, it will likely sell more copies.

So why is this coming up less than 36 hours before Palin and Biden hit the stage?

By Michael Calderone 09:44 AM

Seems like some were not doing their homework?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Regarding Ifill's book - it's not as though anyone was trying to hide the existence of it. From Politico -

Seems like some were not doing their homework?
    Whatever... Not doing homework, whatever.

Do you think it's fair that the moderator for the debate stands to profit from an Obama victory? Do you think there might be just a smidge of bias???
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Whatever... Not doing homework, whatever.

Do you think it's fair that the moderator for the debate stands to profit from an Obama victory? Do you think there might be just a smidge of bias???
    Makes no difference what I think, nobody will listen to me, or you for that matter. Bias - possibly; but now that this is all over the news, it would seem Ifill would bend over backwards to be fair and balanced.

If anyone had bothered to ask me what I would like to see at a VP Debate - I would like it to be more free-wheeling like that between McCain and Obama; I would like to have seen Rachel Maddow as moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I would like to have seen Rachel Maddow as moderator.

All political stuff aside.

What is it with Madcow?

Her adam's apple is second to the the other gal, can't think of her name at the moment- and the weird head bob/jut that she does when she wants to make a point.

She remindes me of a Women's Studies teacher at the local community college. The kind of personr that you see on a campus sidewalk, then cross to the other side of the street because you just don't want to deal with saying 'Good afternoon/morning" to her.

What is it with Madcow?

Her adam's apple is second to the the other gal, can't think of her name at the moment- and the weird head bob/jut that she does when she wants to make a point.

She remindes me of a Women's Studies teacher at the local community college. The kind of personr that you see on a campus sidewalk, then cross to the other side of the street because you just don't want to deal with saying 'Good afternoon/morning" to her.

What's wrong Richard, Rachel doen't show enough cleavage for ya or do
    you just try to avoid intelligent women?

Here's something more your style I think...... A nude Sarah Palin.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...0,273867.story
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

What is it with Madcow?
    What's not to like, Richard? She is intelligent, polite, self-deprecating, and, I think, attractive.

And what could you possibly find wrong with this -
    “I don’t get mad because somebody has a different perspective than me,” she explains. “I get mad at people who are screwing things up in the country, and screwing things up in the world. But if you disagree with me about even serious issues, and you’re willing to debate them with me in a civil way without being insulting, I’m going to enjoy that conversation.”