Page 26 of 257 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Question: what does the Olympics have to do with when the vp candidates are told?

On the news several times lately they wonder when the candidates will spill the beans and tell who their running mates will be. Seveal different news channels have all said they should wait until after the Olympics.

So, what? People who watch the Olympics will not hear who's running between now and NOVEMBER?

Do they think the entire country is breatlessly awaiting the big announcements?*waves feeble hand* h-e-l---p!!!

IT's the AHs that consult the candidates.

THe people who are hired to run the campaigns have control over everything that 'their' candidate does. If you notice that whenever something goes off-kilter the candidate NEVER gets on the horn to make a statement. It always falls to an advisor speaking on their behalf. It's made to sound like it came from the horses's mouth but it's some speechwriter/ventriloquist that carefully crafts a response that sounds great and can be attributed to the politico-until something goes wrong.

Then they bounce the consultant and get another.

When asked about not releasing the name of the Veep, they'll make a statement like this-

"The announcement for the Vice Pres was delayed as to not take away the spotlight from the fine athletes who are competing on behalf of the United States. Any comment from the campaign would not be fair to these people who have prepared for years and trained for their moment of glory."

As we speak there are phone calls trying to get some medal winners at either convention.

-------------

Until the election keep track of all the athletes who show up at ralliesl.

Question: what does the Olympics have to do with when the vp candidates are told?

On the news several times lately they wonder when the candidates will spill the beans and tell who their running mates will be. Seveal different news channels have all said they should wait until after the Olympics.

So, what? People who watch the Olympics will not hear who's running between now and NOVEMBER?

Do they think the entire country is breatlessly awaiting the big announcements?

*waves feeble hand* h-e-l---p!!!

The news outfits are chomping at the bit to hear the announcments.
    Each wants to be the 1st to break the news to all of us lowly peons.

Obama is supposedly going to make his VP announcement on Saturday.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post

Obama is supposedly going to make his VP announcement on Saturday.
    Are you still holding out hope that he'll select Hillary? Actually out of the names that have been suggested I tend to favor Senator Biden, a man with lots of experience where Obama is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Are you still holding out hope that he'll select Hillary? Actually out of the names that have been suggested I tend to favor Senator Biden, a man with lots of experience where Obama is weak.

No, I wanted her for the top spot. Sen Biden would be a good choice
    for the same reasons you chose.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey,

Why not announce the VP in the middle of the night, when no one will notice!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Hey,

Why not announce the VP in the middle of the night, when no one will notice!
    I think he was enjoying the power of playing with the media. Nevertheless, I think he made a wise decision.

One thing that bugs me is not that politicians change their minds about things. Instead of saying, "I changed my mind; I have additional information I did not have at the time I made decision xyz.", they weasel around. I guess they're genetically incapable of honesty...

I think Biden is a good choice for Obama, and the compromise they worked out for initiating a roll-call vote and having Hillary call for Obama's nomination is probably the best way to handle a tough situation. Hillary didn't come in second by much at all!

Now we get to wait and see who McCain will pick for a running mate. I'll go out on a limb and guess Romney; no real reason, just a gut feeling. Mainly due to his business experience, I guess. If you want to balance the budget, treating the Federal government like a business may not be a bad place to start.

As far as religion goes, I agree with some things and disagree with others, and no amount of debating will change my mind or someone else's. This is why I think politics and religion don't mix well. Politics by its nature is open to debate. Religion...not so much.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    This is why I think politics and religion don't mix well.
    Kinda like Kool Aid and Nutrasweet?

I had a thought when I saw the paper and they had 10 people on the front page and their had their comments about Biden.

7 were in favor, two against and one didn't care.

The number one reason for their support of Biden.

He made BO a stronger candidate and made up for his inexperience.

Are these the same people who had such problems with GWB being a figurehead for the country, while Cheney ran the whole show?

I had to laugh at the people who were concerned about the backseat driver.
    All of a sudden they have pinned their hopes on a -

Back seat driver!

I may just give up...

I'll take some heat for this one......

I tuned into the coverage of the Dem Convention and I saw Ted Kennedy and immediately thought of......

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1001299456/tt0085334

I know his illness is serious and not funny but I could not stop giggling.

Ok, I'm lost. His illness reminds you of the movie, A Christmas story ? ??
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    One thing that bugs me is not that politicians change their minds about things. Instead of saying, "I changed my mind; I have additional information I did not have at the time I made decision xyz.", they weasel around. I guess they're genetically incapable of honesty...
    I don't think many of them are honest, I'll give you that. But I don't believe that they 'change their mind' so much as sway with whatever activist group is holding the most money and votes over their heads.

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Ok, I'm lost. His illness reminds you of the movie, A Christmas story ? ??

No, I couldn't find a picture of him giving his speech last nite. When I first looked I thought it was a skit from a comedy program.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    No, I couldn't find a picture of him giving his speech last nite. When I first looked I thought it was a skit from a comedy program.
    Oh, when I clicked on it, I got pictures from the movie A Christmas Story. No comedy skits either. I thought you might have thought he looked like the kid in that movie or something.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

I thought you might have thought he looked like the kid in that movie or something.
    HE does!

----------

I just flipped on CSPAN and saw a Qand A with a gal named Palmieri the veep of COMMUNICATIONS for some group called the Center for Amercan Progress?

Why do people insist on speaking in front of a group and when they improvise they cannot speak with out doing the Ummm and Uhhhhs?

This drives me friggin bonkers. You can tell that they are trying to give an answer that is PC and won't make them look stupid when in fact their ummms and ahhhs just add to the effect!

When they get to a question that they are pre programmed to answer they can recite it verbatim-because they practiced it many times over-

One question was about McCain -she was able to verbalize exactly what was wrong with his candidacy -same with BO's wonderful run. But asked specific questions about BO she began to stutter and back into the "he wants change' spiel. The other direct answer was about how JM wanted to raise taxes but she could not give a good answer, sans umms and ahhs, regarding BO's tax plan.

If they only knew how much of a turn off they are when they stumble thru answering questions or giving speeches!

I didn't get to see the first day of the Dem. convention, but did see
    Hillary give her speech last night. Great speech she gave. I still believe,
    politics aside, she's proven herself to be a classy lady and I'll support
    Obama for President. As she said last night, this election is MUCH to
    important for American families to bicker over two people who share
    basically the same ideas for a better country.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt