Page 252 of 257 FirstFirst ... 152202242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257 LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 3853

Thread: Politics and religion.

Well that was ham handed even for the current infants in charge.

The states of NJ, NY, and Il institute quarantine orders and procedures for people coming into the country from ebola-affected areas.

Surprise, surprise,surprise, the first person in quarantine is a politically and professionally connected nurse. Ms. Hickox's prior employment was media relations in the CDC. You don't go from Oh, poor me, I'm quarantined to a full court press in the national media complete with a high profile attorney and ACLU representation without a buttload of prior planning.

This was a setup, boys and girls, and a bad one at that.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Oh, I don't think that. Just try to quarantine me for days in a tent, outside, in the hospital parking lot & you'd hear me yell all the way to Washington DC.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Oh, I don't think that. Just try to quarantine me for days in a tent, outside, in the hospital parking lot & you'd hear me yell all the way to Washington DC.
    Yeah, but you should not likely get major press coverage, a lawyer from the ACLU and your face all over the Interwebs!
    I've Been Frosted

It was a very, very rapid chain of events, even for modern media. It was a matter of hours before every major news organization had her on their splash page and there was an interview printed in the Dallas Morning Sun (IIRC) the NEXT DAY.

To get into the paper on Sunday, the interview would have had to have been conducted, transcribed and edited before 1AM.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Do I vote for the 26 year incumbent state senator who has spent the last 2 -3 years under investigation for influence peddling and perjury, or do I vote for the woman running against him, who previously ran a town with the largest tax base in the county yet still wound up with an out of control budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Do I vote for the 26 year incumbent state senator who has spent the last 2 -3 years under investigation for influence peddling and perjury, or do I vote for the woman running against him, who previously ran a town with the largest tax base in the county yet still wound up with an out of control budget?
    Write in an alternative candidate?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Well that was ham handed even for the current infants in charge.

The states of NJ, NY, and Il institute quarantine orders and procedures for people coming into the country from ebola-affected areas.

Surprise, surprise,surprise, the first person in quarantine is a politically and professionally connected nurse. Ms. Hickox's prior employment was media relations in the CDC. You don't go from Oh, poor me, I'm quarantined to a full court press in the national media complete with a high profile attorney and ACLU representation without a buttload of prior planning.

This was a setup, boys and girls, and a bad one at that.
    Hitchcock is a moron.

Again, She volunteered to go to treat ebola patients. She accepted that risk, but can't get past a 21 day quaratine?

---------------------

60 minutes did a story on the nurses who took care of the gentleman in TX and they were totally professional and dedicated to his case.
    They won't get any more press for doing the job they did, but some FN wimp with an agenda is going to become the 'face of ebola quarantines'?

I can tell you that IF the show was on the other foot, she would be one of the people would be screaming and showing up with pitchforks and burning torches
    trying to keep someone else out of their neighborhood.

Nurses and doctor's are just as human as the rest of us, I don't see granting them a waiver in a situation like this.

--------------

BTW, Some people involved with the Drs. W/O Borders group participate for their OWN benefit....while it is an altruistic endeavour, it's a nice tax write off come April.

Here's another 'election issue' that makes me laugh...

Why is 'getting people to vote/register' such a topic?

One huge turn off to the problem is that people should be worrying about this, um like, two years ago?

This is one subject that comes up over and over again and gives me fits of the giggles.

If people aren't that interested in registering to vote, how likely are they to actually go and cast a ballot?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Here's another 'election issue' that makes me laugh...

Why is 'getting people to vote/register' such a topic?

One huge turn off to the problem is that people should be worrying about this, um like, two years ago?

This is one subject that comes up over and over again and gives me fits of the giggles.

If people aren't that interested in registering to vote, how likely are they to actually go and cast a ballot?
    Frankly if they aren't registered to vote, and show that little concern in the republic, we shouldn't remind them.

LH, I think I have asked this question once before and you gave me a very insightful answer. The question came up in lunch-time conversation and I couldn't remember what you posted for me, so I'm going to ask again. I can go on line and vote for my favorite Dancing with the Stars celebrity, or whichever baseball players I want to play in the All-star Game, or even make a reservation at my family's favorite restaurant. Why, then, can I not vote for U.S. elections on line? Is it a problem of Internet security? I can securely pay my bills on line and get information about how much money is (or isn't) in my bank account. My voting place is the park district building, which is usually bustling when I go to vote with children participating in before-school care or afternoon programs. If I have a voter ID card ... couldn't there be a way to put my name in the system at any polling place (close to work, close to home, on line, whatever) and access the appropriate ballot? Like I do with my ATM card? No matter what bank branch I use, it still links to the account I opened at the branch closest to where I live. Why isn't the technology such that voting could work the same way?

To Richard's point about getting people to register and vote - is it because the oldest voters are not being replaced as they die by the youngest voters? In Chicago they can probably vote even after they die .

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post

To Richard's point about getting people to register and vote - is it because the oldest voters are not being replaced as they die by the youngest voters? In Chicago they can probably vote even after they die .

Thanks,
    Elyse
    From my narrow point of view?

I keep hearing about people not being able to vote because of some stupid rule about having an ID to show at the polls?

What kind of ID do these folks use in everyday life??

MY other peeve about elections?

I laugh when I hear the breakdowns of voting blocs by race.

It really is a hoot to hear the skillet heads talk about the black/latino votes.

The 'latino' vote is largely driven by the idea of amnesty for people who have been here illegally and looking or a fast track to citizenship.

(Not a fan of THAT idea.....)

--------

Politicians are like prostitutes,

They all promise you a better time, but when they screw you, who will listen to your complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    LH, I think I have asked this question once before and you gave me a very insightful answer. The question came up in lunch-time conversation and I couldn't remember what you posted for me, so I'm going to ask again. I can go on line and vote for my favorite Dancing with the Stars celebrity, or whichever baseball players I want to play in the All-star Game, or even make a reservation at my family's favorite restaurant. Why, then, can I not vote for U.S. elections on line? Is it a problem of Internet security? I can securely pay my bills on line and get information about how much money is (or isn't) in my bank account. My voting place is the park district building, which is usually bustling when I go to vote with children participating in before-school care or afternoon programs. If I have a voter ID card ... couldn't there be a way to put my name in the system at any polling place (close to work, close to home, on line, whatever) and access the appropriate ballot? Like I do with my ATM card? No matter what bank branch I use, it still links to the account I opened at the branch closest to where I live. Why isn't the technology such that voting could work the same way?

Thanks,
    Elyse
    I'm not LH but I imagine it would be to easy to commit voter fraud by voting on line. I keep getting phone calls from myself with my own phone number. I shudder to think what hackers could do with on line voting.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    I keep getting phone calls from myself with my own phone number. I shudder to think what hackers could do with on line voting.
    MoFF, I got those! At first the caller ID showed phone numbers just a few digits away from mine. Then when my name and number came up in my own caller ID, I called the phone company. They said it is a telemarketing scam and referred me to the FCC. Scary!

I'm glad election day is here because it means I'll stop getting election-related mail and (especially) telephone calls!

Edited to ask: Can I move up to Wisconsin if Governor Quinn gets re-elected?
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 11-04-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Apologies to Chicago

You might let dead people vote, but at least you aren't sending them to your state house!

http://news.yahoo.com/deceased-washi...174611595.html

An incumbent Democratic state representative in Washington was headed for a decisive re-election victory on Wednesday even though he died last week, results indicate.

Do the people pushing for a blanket $15/hr wage for Wal-mart employees have any clue?

There are areas in the US where highly skilled workers don't earn that much.