Thread: Politics and religion.

The output from the scrubbers is epa regulated, and it's no longer easily disposed of, which adds to the expense and complicates planning of implementing scrubber technology.

One question:

The elimination or restriction of coal use would eliminate 40% of the power currently used in the United States. Where are we going to make up the difference?

Solar and wind are weather dependent, and the backup batteries which would be required for grid redundancy with the heavy use of those technologies are REALLY environmentally nasty, both in production, which require massive amounts of strip mining, and use, as an industrial-sized battery would require some special provisions. In addition, the production of the generators for wind turbines also require massive amounts of strip mining.

Nuclear energy production has been hamstrung in the US by lawsuits and scare tactics, and the sole proposal for a workable nuclear waste storage site has been stuck in gridlock.

Natural gas production is being fought tooth and nail.

Where would you propose we acquire new energy sources?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

What's wrong with this picture? Illinois gubernatorial candidate Bruce Rauner's daughter was admitted to Walter Payton College Prep, a Chicago selective admission high school, even though the family lives in the suburbs, specifically tony Winnetka. What's up with that? And then, when she was initially declined for admission and then accepted - using an as yet undisclosed Chicago address - the Rauner Family Foundation made a donation of $250,000 to the Payton Prep Initiative for Education. This doesn't look good. This is the same candidate who said he wanted to decrease the state minimum wage from $8.25 to $7.25 an hour to make Illinois more competitive with other states. That went over like a ton of bricks, so he quickly reversed his position on the minimum wage in Illinois and said it should be increased. Illinois politics are so weird.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

So would that make the governor wannabe the Big Noise from Winnetka?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    So would that make the governor wannabe the Big Noise from Winnetka?
    I think he would like to be the Big Noise from Winnetka. His campaign seemed to start out as "I'm a businessman, not a politician" but he's a lot more wealthy than the average businessman.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I wonder what the Ukranian term for Anschluss is?

I once went to a meeting where the BIG boss was asked about hiring one person - a transporation aide - to push the patients to and from surgery....

The idiot answered, 'I want a porsche, but can't afford one - you will just have to do your job'.

Ever since then, whenever I hear someone in charge make a flip statement it really wrankles me arse...

-----------

Hokay, The idiot republicans want to 'sue' the president and the dems are laughing at them. Useless waste of resources?

So the prez is out and about doing speeches and whatever and he begins to mock this 'lawsuit', and rightly so.

But, instead of stopping there, he cracks a joke. He says, "You know who is going to pay for it......"

The crowd mumbles.....

"You are!"

All politics aside - just talking demeanor here - Does that mean he thinks it's funny that he is the head of an effed up system and being the target of this stupidity is a badge of honor? He carried on for another minute or two, but I didn't listen, I was trying to figure out who would brag about being the cause of some bureaucratic waste of time - then mock the people who were 'paying for it'....

We are governed by a bunch of idiots....No, Idiots would be insulted if they were lumped into this group of morons.....sheesh.

Just remember, at some point, WE the people voted for this lot of poltroons.

Why the ()@#)_( is the government allowing the introduction of vectors by bringing infected aid workers back into the country? The British had quarantine procedures worked out in the 1700s. They worked. they weren't compassionate, but they stopped the spread of disease. use them.

The reassurances from the CDC that there's no risk are hardly reassuring, as this is the same agency which in recent weeks has lost track of lab samples of bird flu, smallpox, and anthrax.

I'm with you on this, LH.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

From the World Health Organization: "Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals. In Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids. Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola."

I'm not with you on this one, LH. I think bringing the doctor home for treatment under the close supervision of the CDC was the right thing to do. The level of ICU care he can get here cannot be matched in developing countries.

Close supervision of the CDC?

Again, they can't even maintain adequate procedures for handling virus cultures in their own labs. They shouldn't be trusted at the moment to contain an outbreak of chicken pox, much less control the spread of a hemorrhagic fever virus. There are other alternatives, such as setting up a closely monitored clinic in the affected areas to control the disease using strict contact protocols.....

Wait, never mind, that's how the aid workers were infected in the first place.

So, patient 0 has died, there are 80 or so possible close contacts being monitored, one has checked himself into the hospital for monitoring.

Still want to leave those borders open?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    So, patient 0 has died, there are 80 or so possible close contacts being monitored, one has checked himself into the hospital for monitoring.

Still want to leave those borders open?
    The family is blaming the U.S. for his death. HUH???? Yes - the hospital screwed up when he went in the first time, and they sent him home, but the family is complaining that he didn't get the same experimental drug that the other 2 patients that survived, received. There was no more of that particular drug to be had, so he was receiving a different one. Yeah - I guess they have to blame someone - right???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    The family is blaming the U.S. for his death. HUH???? Yes - the hospital screwed up when he went in the first time, and they sent him home, but the family is complaining that he didn't get the same experimental drug that the other 2 patients that survived, received. There was no more of that particular drug to be had, so he was receiving a different one. Yeah - I guess they have to blame someone - right???
    I am sure they are right now acting out of grief and pain, and fear for their own lives. I do not count anything they say right now against them, frankly.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I am sure they are right now acting out of grief and pain, and fear for their own lives. I do not count anything they say right now against them, frankly.
    They've named "reverend" Jackson as one of the family spokespeople. Racebaiting lawsuit in 3...2...1...