Thread: Politics and religion.

Well, the point is that 90% of the people living there accepted the Muslims's Eid celebration and that cost a lot more, but more important, if people settle down in another country, they should accept the customs of that country and not demand that the citizens change their way of living and adapt to their rules! If I went to an Arabic country, do you think they'd let me walk around without a scarf covering my head and serve me pork, or have a Christmas tree put up in the Square!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Blog Entries
    I kinda think, when in Rome... But then again, my neighbors to the left are Jehova Witnesses and the ones to the right are Muslims. We all live in peace but we don't give them a Christmas card or invite them to my Auntys notoriously long and drawn out Hanukkah shindigs. To each his own. Having your priorities in perspective doesn't hurt.

We had a non-christian complain at work about our christmas tree, not a Muslim btw and so now we call it a holiday tree...got around that!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Well, the point is that 90% of the people living there accepted the Muslims's Eid celebration and that cost a lot more, but more important, if people settle down in another country, they should accept the customs of that country and not demand that the citizens change their way of living and adapt to their rules! If I went to an Arabic country, do you think they'd let me walk around without a scarf covering my head and serve me pork, or have a Christmas tree put up in the Square!
    Many years ago, a Christian friend of mine lived in an Arabic country for her husband's job, and their slightly bedraggled artificial Christmas tree was a treasure, as there were no live Christmas trees for sale there, they do not grow in the desert! They celebrated Christmas anyway, and when they moved back to the States, gave the tree to other Christian friends there.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is a democracy, so the majority usually rules. As long as they would not prohibit me from putting up a Christmas tree at my house, I'd have no problem with it. But it would be better to let everyone celebrate their traditions, of course.
    I have to disagree.

The side with the best lawyers and deepest pockets wins.

I'd have major issues with what happened, as when the US was in Saudi Arabia, your Christmas tree story aside, female soldiers were held to a different dress code acknowledged by the SOFA. In addition, foreign nationals are usually in housing/living areas away from the general populace, (esp. in Saudi Arabia) so the rules in those specific areas are relaxed. I would dare someone to erect a public nativity in downtown Riyadh.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Question. Does Congress have a plan in place for what to do if a member requires an extended absence? I'm thinking of two people from Illinois. Senator Mark Kirk had a stroke in January and needed brain surgery. He has been through months of extended rehabilitation. He was just on TV because he participated in a stair climb for charity at the Sears Tower. I thought he looked really good- his speech is definitely improving, he looks healthy although I could still clearly tell that his left arm is weak. The other one is House Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. who has been under care for depression (I've also heard bipolar disorder) and was just re-elected on Tuesday. He has not been able to do his congressional work for I think 3 or 4 months now. Even Rep. Giffords who also was in rehab for a lengthy period of time after her serious head injury.

Is there a certain point in time after which something happens? I know Sen. Kirk is hoping to return to the Senate, but I'm not sure if or when that will happen. I heard on the news that Jackson didn't want to run for re-election but was advised to run so he wouldn't lose his Congressional member health insurance. I think they should let the governor appoint someone (although in Illinois that could get messy) or hold a special election, or in Jackson's case let the runner-up be declared the winner and take it from there.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The funniest thing about 'religion' and being 'correct'?

People don't respect each other enough to let things slide.

-----------

Some holidays do not have a set date.

That religious holiday that gets moved yearly because it's the thirty fifth day from the winter peri-helion on Uranus?

It doesn't really matter to me.

I respect your right to celebrate, I am not going to be insulted or think anything about it.

That said?

Have your own holidays, spend them with your family, eat, drink and be merry....

JUST DON'T EFF WITH EVERYONE ELSE'S PARTY.

--------

And lastly?

The part that makes me laugh about all religions is the tenent of loving everyone - except when it comes to holidays.

The people that do-not-believe are a different story.

They are going to hell, anyways.

Well, I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. If they don't want to hear it, they can walk away from me. I can not understand why everyone gets so upset about it. It's not like saying Merry Christmas is like saying your wife/husband is ugly. It's people who are celebrating something special to them wanting to share that joy with others.

I am not offended by other religions and am baffled that they are offended by mine. I have never in my life thumped a Bible at anyone.

I do get miffed by towns that will let other relligions display symbols of their faith in public places but not let Christians. I am glad our town still has a living nativity scene every Christmas.

Someone wished me a Happy Father's day one time. Something I never ever thought I'd be wished. I just said thank you. Same to you and left. I don't know if she was offened or not.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Well, I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. If they don't want to hear it, they can walk away from me. I can not understand why everyone gets so upset about it. It's not like saying Merry Christmas is like saying your wife/husband is ugly. It's people who are celebrating something special to them wanting to share that joy with others.

I am not offended by other religions and am baffled that they are offended by mine. I have never in my life thumped a Bible at anyone.

I do get miffed by towns that will let other relligions display symbols of their faith in public places but not let Christians. I am glad our town still has a living nativity scene every Christmas.

Someone wished me a Happy Father's day one time. Something I never ever thought I'd be wished. I just said thank you. Same to you and left. I don't know if she was offened or not.
    One of the things I liked about working at the Catholic hospital was that I could say, "Merry Christmas" more comfortably there than with secular employers. Last year we were told to say "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" just to keep it neutral.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Question. Does Congress have a plan in place for what to do if a member requires an extended absence? I'm thinking of two people from Illinois. Senator Mark Kirk had a stroke in January and needed brain surgery. He has been through months of extended rehabilitation. He was just on TV because he participated in a stair climb for charity at the Sears Tower. I thought he looked really good- his speech is definitely improving, he looks healthy although I could still clearly tell that his left arm is weak. The other one is House Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. who has been under care for depression (I've also heard bipolar disorder) and was just re-elected on Tuesday. He has not been able to do his congressional work for I think 3 or 4 months now. Even Rep. Giffords who also was in rehab for a lengthy period of time after her serious head injury.

Is there a certain point in time after which something happens? I know Sen. Kirk is hoping to return to the Senate, but I'm not sure if or when that will happen. I heard on the news that Jackson didn't want to run for re-election but was advised to run so he wouldn't lose his Congressional member health insurance. I think they should let the governor appoint someone (although in Illinois that could get messy) or hold a special election, or in Jackson's case let the runner-up be declared the winner and take it from there.

Unless the Representative or Senator dies or resigns, they hold the seat. If they are absent, then no vote is cast from that representative.

In Rep. Giffords' case, she resigned, and the state had to hold a special election to fill the seat.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

11. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

Some holidays do not have a set date.

That religious holiday that gets moved yearly because it's the thirty fifth day from the winter peri-helion on Uranus?
    That would be Easter? First Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

There is only one federal holiday that is a religious holiday. Christmas of course. So I don't think Christians need to worry.

doesn't it get exhausting talking down to people all the time? It's exhausting to read the constant back and forth

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    doesn't it get exhausting talking down to people all the time? It's exhausting to read the constant back and forth

You've got that right. I'm so glad he doesn't post here that often anymore.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    You've got that right. I'm so glad he doesn't post here that often anymore.
    ??? Huh? Lol

Lots of people don't post here anymore but it hasn't made a dent in the back and forth nonsense.

This thread is a good example of why this country will always be bipartisan and divided and the "other parties" will never stabd a chance

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    ??? Huh? Lol

Lots of people don't post here anymore but it hasn't made a dent in the back and forth nonsense.

This thread is a good example of why this country will always be bipartisan and divided and the "other parties" will never stabd a chance
    I'm sure you can tell who everyone in this this thread cast their vote
    for just by their comments.......