Thread: Politics and religion.

1. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

I have always found people who "absentee ballot" because they are too lazy to go to polls, funny.
    Let me explain it to you. Some people work...you know...have jobs. And those jobs often take them out of town...you know...to work.

And these people who...work...want to make sure they can vote. So they get an absentee ballot or a mail in ballot.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the concept.

Of course, there are other reasons people get absentee ballots - they may have difficulty getting to the poll - disabled, bedridden, elderly. I am sure you consider that a "scream" too. Lazy buggers!

What I find funny is people who are constantly laughing at others instead of looking at themselves and seeing just how ridiculous they are.

Someone needs a mirror.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I wish I didn't have to go to the polls to vote, and could do an absentee ballot.

It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to go out just for that, but it seems that this state likes to juggle around the polling districts. I used to vote at the elementary school in town. Lots of parking and no walking and no waiting in long lines. Then a few elections ago it got changed to a different area - about the same distance to drive - but no where to park other than along the street if you can be lucky enough to find a parking spot, and then walk and walk and walk to get to the building and wait in long lines. Then it got changed back to the school, and now it's been changed again back to the long walk/long lines area. Sorry, but with my impaired balance and a bad knee that is scheduled for surgery, I don't walk a lot. I'll at least drive over there tomorrow, and if I can park close, then I'll vote. If not, I'll just turn around and come back home!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I wish I didn't have to go to the polls to vote, and could do an absentee ballot.

It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to go out just for that, but it seems that this state likes to juggle around the polling districts. I used to vote at the elementary school in town. Lots of parking and no walking and no waiting in long lines. Then a few elections ago it got changed to a different area - about the same distance to drive - but no where to park other than along the street if you can be lucky enough to find a parking spot, and then walk and walk and walk to get to the building and wait in long lines. Then it got changed back to the school, and now it's been changed again back to the long walk/long lines area. Sorry, but with my impaired balance and a bad knee that is scheduled for surgery, I don't walk a lot. I'll at least drive over there tomorrow, and if I can park close, then I'll vote. If not, I'll just turn around and come back home!
    Do you have a court house near by? Our district has also changed things around like you mentioned no place to park, long lines. We went to the court house & voted ahead of time. There was plenty of parking with no long lines.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post

Pom,

My 'absentee ballot' rant all about a guy I knew who would always vote that way.

He had no health problems - he was just too lazy to go the polls....He lived in an affluent area/neighborhood and just couldn't be bothered to make a trip.

My old job allowed you to take two hours to vote, so people would bug out early and vote.

-------------------------

This early voting snafu is stupid, a waste of people's time and funny -

I have waited hours in line to see Pink Floyd, get concert tickets watch a torch pass by and some other funky stuff.

Waiting hours to vote? I don't think so.

We were discussing the problems and D came up with this solution, Polls open Saturday and close on Tuesday.

8 to 8 every day, for everyone.

That way no one can complain and it's a level playing field and while we are at it?

Announce the results a few days later, make everyone wait and give the west coasters a chance to vote, the local elections/races suffer because when the 'winner' is announced in the national elections, people there give up and say, "Why should I vote when the election's over......."
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I wasn't complaining about anyone's views re: absentee voting - I get that! I was just venting my frustration at what I've personally encountered. For those just plain too lazy to go out, then I hope they aren't the first ones to complain that the wrong (in their eyes) candidate won - but those are the ones that typically complain the longest and the loudest!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

7. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

My old job allowed you to take two hours to vote, so people would bug out early and vote.
    In California, if an employee is required to work from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm they must be given up to two hours off to vote with pay.

Most if not all states have laws similar although very few states require pay.

But all are only if the employee is unable to get to the polls before or after work.

And Pomtzu - I have had the same frustration - getting to the polls with little time to spare* and finding out my polling place has been changed! I remember once racing through my neighborhood trying to find the right place. Have you checked into an absentee ballot? Most states provide them without much fuss.

Personally I enjoy going to the polls - it feels more participative. I have never known anyone who voted absentee because they are "too lazy to go to the polling place" but what of it? As long as they vote why would I judge them as to what method they use?

* getting out of work on time

8. Here is an interesting article...Voting

The United States has one of the lowest voter turnout going. Why wouldn't we want to make it easierfor people to vote?

Is voting suppose to be some "prove you are worthy of it" exercise?

If someone wants to vote early, or by mail-in ballot...why is that a bad thing -- worthy of scorn?

I would save my scorn for people who do not bother to vote.

What happens if you're in the hospital on Election Day and you are unable to vote, I wonder? Can you get a ballot late?

Once again I'm impressed by how orderly the process is. I know where I go to vote, I'll show up, might have to wait in line, someone will take my name and give me a ballot. No commotion, no big deal. Sometimes I see other people there who live in my building. I can vote for the candidate I think will do the better job. The voter after me might disagree, but no harm comes to either of us for voting. Then in January either Obama will be inaugurated again, or his term will end and Romney will take over, but that will be a peaceful switch. So we'll see what happens.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Stories about voting

I am always amazed by the horrible stories about voting. I have never had a problem even though I have lived in crowded cities, the suburbs, the country..... never a problem. Voting in Vermont is easy because so very few people live in the state. The folks at the voting sites know all the people voting so no need to carry ID. It is always organized, pleasant and fun! I wish it could be that way for many more people. I cannot believe people have to wait in line for hours. What is with that? Why don't the people organizing it, create bigger and better voting conditions? How hard can it be? Is it the expense? It just seems as though voting is discouraged in some areas and that is wrong. Maybe mail in for everyone would be easier!

So everyone, go out and vote today. May the best man win. Fingers crossed for my candidate though!

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    I am always amazed by the horrible stories about voting. I have never had a problem even though I have lived in crowded cities, the suburbs, the country..... never a problem. Voting in Vermont is easy because so very few people live in the state. The folks at the voting sites know all the people voting so no need to carry ID. It is always organized, pleasant and fun! I wish it could be that way for many more people. I cannot believe people have to wait in line for hours. What is with that? Why don't the people organizing it, create bigger and better voting conditions? How hard can it be? Is it the expense? It just seems as though voting is discouraged in some areas and that is wrong. Maybe mail in for everyone would be easier!

So everyone, go out and vote today. May the best man win. Fingers crossed for my candidate though!
    There is a cartoon in the paper today about the 'second most powerful person in the world', it shows a pic of the White House, the first? A pic of a person in a voting booth.

Again, people have had four years to think about this and how many years before the hanging chad fiasco.

We don't pay attention to the things that impact our lives, until we are slapped in the face by them.

--------------------------------------

Voting is discouraged in some areas because we don't encourage ourselves beforehand.

Not only that, think about the lawsuits that will come up from the 'voting fiascos'.

Saddam Hussein ran flawless election in Iraq for years.

Even I could predict the winner, with 100% of the vote- drum roll please - SADDAM HUSSEIN!!!

Maybe we should get Baghdad Bob to announce the elections results?

So one party is supposed to be racist and misogynistic and all I hear on one channel is the war on women and all about the black and latino vote.

Holy crap, what a waste of humanity these people are.

-----------------

Race baiting, name calling and the feminist BS, now colored - pun intended - with religious rants about Judeo-Christian values?

Some moron - speaking for the 'latino bloc' just said "we demand respect".

For what?

The "united latino" front is a myth. We have our own racism and dislike of the different groups inside this catch-all group.

We'll get respect when we get out shiat together and stop this nonsense. The racism will end when we can all swap colors or go color blind...the "war on women"?

I guess that war will be won when we can swap genitals, until then?

I think I'll go over to "democrazy plaza' and ice skate my arse into the wonderful feeling that we are all one group of people while the moderators above divide us up into voting groups....

Ev'rything is divided
    Nothing is complete
    Ev'rything looks impressive
    Do not be deceived
    You don't have to wait for more instructions
    No one makes a monkey out of me
    We lie on our backs, feet in the air
    Rest and relaxation, rocket to my brain

Snap into position
    Bounce till you ache
    Step out of line
    And you end up in jail
    Bring me a doctor
    I have a hole in my head
    But they are just people
    And I'm not afraid
    Doctor Doctor
    We have nothing in our pockets
    We continue
    But we have nothing left to offer
    Faces pressed against the window
    Hey! they are just my friends
    Check this out don't be slick
    Break our backs it goes like this . . .

We are born without eyesight
    We are born without sin
    And our mama protects us
    From the cold and the rain
    We're in no hurry
    sugar and spice
    We sing in the darkness
    We poen our eyes (open up)

I can't believe it
    And people are strange
    Our president's crazy
    Did you hear what he said
    Business and pleasure
    Lie right to your face
    Divide it in sections
    And then give it away

There are no big secrets
    Don't believe what you read
    We have great big bodies
    We got great big heads
    Run-a-run-a-run it all together
    Check it out - still don't make no sense
    Makin' flippy floppy
    Tryin to do my best
    Lock the door

--Making Flippy Floppy, talking heads.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

13. Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post

My nearest polling place is a neighbor's garage!

If I didn't have to work I would love to work in a polling place on Election Day. Often it seems the process is slowed by those who are checking in the voters.

Yeay (not)

Here's to two more years of absolute and utter gridlock as we kick the can a little further down the road.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I wonder if Gov. Romney will take the hint this time? This makes 7 years of uninterrupted campaigning for the Oval Office, and he still lost. Is he going to try for 12 years of being a professional candidate? (BTW, the first 2 of those years he was SUPPOSED to be running the Commonwealth of Massachusetts)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.