Thread: Politics and religion.

There are numerous places in war zones where you stack arms. Ever see any vids of USO shows with armed troops in the audience? You don't normally carry weapons in HQ's, either, that's what weapons racks are for. (not referring to a company CP, but higher HQ's further away in "secure" areas)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

So it's primary election day in Illinois. I went to vote because there's a referendum for our village on the ballot. I got there about 6:15 and the polls close at 7. I figured the polling place wouldn't be busy- it's a beautiful day, it's a primary election which usually gets a low turnout, and it's late in the day.

Guess what? There was a line! I was surprised. That's not usual around here. Maybe because of the referendum, plus there are some local contested races.

And there were 3 students from the local high school serving as student election judges. That was nice to see.

-----
    One other question, was it ever determined why the army sergeant went to the villages and killed all those civilians in Afghanistan? I heard on the news that he has no recollection (or he claims to have no recollection) of the shootings. How sad for those families.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    -----
    One other question, was it ever determined why the army sergeant went to the villages and killed all those civilians in Afghanistan? I heard on the news that he has no recollection (or he claims to have no recollection) of the shootings. How sad for those families.

Indiana has a late Primary Election, not until May.

On the subject of the killing of Afgan civilians, there are more questions than answers. More is becoming known about the soldier who did the killing,
    and it's not good. Pretty troubling record even before he joined the Army.I can't get over the horrible fact that nine of those killed were children.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

One of the Far Right members of Indiana Legislature.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/polit...on-girl-scouts
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

WTF is an Etch-A-Sketch?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    WTF is an Etch-A-Sketch?
    Did you never have one, Richard? They were my favoritest toy ever, as it was a way to draw without needing more paper and pencils, and I got really good at it! When my big brother accidentally wrecked mine, they got me a new one, which was pretty rare for us, but he knew I treasured it! And of course we all liked the geeky side of the science behind it, too!
    I've Been Frosted

WTF is an Etch-A-Sketch?
    It's Mitt Romney's political history, in a nutshell.

Draw, shake, erase, repeat (and hope no one remembers what you said last week)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

WTF is an Etch-A-Sketch?

Politics question

Karen or Paul, I was looking for the "Politics/Religion Thread" to put this in. I wasn't able to find it. If you want to add this to that thread, that would be fine with me.

Thanks,
    Elyse

I saw this on Pinterest

Isn't this sort of what the welfare system does? I work and pay taxes, so I'm the child in the picture who has built a tower of Legos. Other people, who can't work, receive welfare. Yes, there are some people receiving welfare who maybe shouldn't (the kids who have been napping all day). I thought that was the point of this caption, so I pinned it. A comment was posted under my pin by someone whose opinion I respect (but we disagree on politics), so I took it down. I've seen firsthand that the public aid process, at least in Illinois, is very vulnerable to fraud. The state is taking steps to correct that, but it is not an easy process.

I also saw on "60 Minutes" on Sunday evening that Romney paid 14% taxes on his income of around two million dollars. He claimed that it was subject to that lower tax rate because it had already been taxed once. But that's not the point -- you made two million dollars, Mr. Romney. I didn't do the math and 14% of $2 million might still be more than I paid. It still doesn't make sense to me.

It's a pretty close race. I don't think I'd want a job where almost half the selection committee felt that I was not the most qualified candidate for it. Am I better off than I was four years ago, in some ways yes but in some ways no.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Elyse, that is a very anti - Obama posting.

I am SO glad that our Canadian elections last only for 6 weeks...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

One of my favorite things to do is to tune in to the channel (the name rhymes with EmmEsEnBeeCee) and listen to the 'commentary' from the 'hosts'.

My fave is that little guy with the brit accent that is pretty much a rude, ill-mannered hack that make fun of the 'system'.

I don't watch - rhymes with Sox - any more because they pull the same creepy commentary on their shows.

--------------

When you look at the media as a whole?

Everyone puts out the same BS and tries to demonize the opposing party.

---------

The thing that makes me secretly laugh and want to mock politics is when people on the tube talk about the
    'attacks' on their faves, when they propogate the same kind of hate and trash themselves.

--------------

In the end, politicians do not give a sideways eff about you or me.

They want your donations and votes - after that?

You tell me.

-------------

I'd rather vote in a cat or dog for the prez's seat.

They only want to please you, they are always happy to see you and will not eff you over.

With a pet, you know where the crap is, can stop it and can smell it.

Politicians doll it up and tell you that it's a used alimentary product.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Blog Entries
    Right On There Richard
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    Right On There Richard
    Don't encourage me......

Have the TV on in the background to the evil channel and one of the 'hosts' is ranting about how one party does not believe in the polls and how they are the 'truth' because they reflect the difference in the voters leading up to the elections.

He then goes on to talk about the unemployment numbers and how the office in charge of them miscalculated them by a few thousand, but that is A-OK.

I'm not a savvy political person, but when you listen carefully to all the BS that comes out on these shows?

It's a miracle that the hate mongering hasn't divided us on a greater scale.