Thread: Politics and religion.

The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Right to work states

What is a right to work (or right-to-work?) state? That phrase has been in the news around here lately because the Indiana state government is addressing either making or not making Indiana a right to work state. I don't really get it although I know it has something to do with labor unions. Up in Wisconsin people are signing petitions to have their governor recalled. They just had big legislation up there with labor unions.

Should you belong to a labor union if you have a government job? When I was a temp nurse in the Cook County health care system, the RNs were unionized under the Illinois Nurses Association. They had strict rules for nurse to patient ratios, overtime, new hire orientation, assignments, breaks, uniforms, holidays - you name it, they had a rule for it. Those nurses made big bucks and they worked a lot of overtime. And every nurse had been there for a long time.

When I worked for the auto mechanics' union welfare fund, you didn't have to join the union - but the union was providing benefits to the fund office employees, so if I wanted health and dental coverage, I had to sign up and pay dues, which in turn paid for the benefits. The cool part of that job was that they had a yearly car show because a lot of the members were car enthusiasts. They also had a motorcycle ride for cancer-- which started at one of the dealerships and ended at a huge forest preserve, where there was a picnic, games for kids, volleyball and fun. You could just come to the picnic if you weren't a motorcyclist, and there was a car pool from the office.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

3. Right -to-work state is a state in which union membership cannot be required as a condition of employment.

There are always three sides to every story.

To the unions - this means employees can receive the wages and benefits negotiated by the union without paying union dues. They must be represented (although perhaps not vigorously ) by the union in any dispute with management without paying union dues.

For employees - they do not have to pay union dues if they do not want to or do not believe in unions.

To the Company - it is a very useful wedge between employees.

It can make for stressful relations - employees who pay union dues vs. those who do not.

Disclaimer - much of my career has been fighting against unions. I do not take a position on this issue. Just the facts.

When is May Day?
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    When is May Day?
    May first, of course!
    I've Been Frosted

Facepalm!

Would someone explain to me again how the Canadian oil pipeline would reduce our dependency on foreign oil?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    28 Dec 2011 03:46 PM

Perryism Of The Day

“Every barrel of oil that comes out of those sands in Canada is a barrel of oil that we don’t have to buy from a foreign source,” - governor Rick Perry.

LH, have Rick Perry explain it to you.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

TPM

Romney on Trump Endorsement: This is Awesome

Josh Marshall-February 2, 2012, 4:05 PM1068
    Mitt Romney ecstatic over Trump endorsement: “There are some things that you just can’t imagine happening in your life — this is one of them. Being in Donald Trump’s magnificent hotel and having his endorsement is a delight.”

Does this mean Mitt gets a Tiara & Sash. LOL
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Facepalm!

Would someone explain to me again how the Canadian oil pipeline would reduce our dependency on foreign oil?
    I think we should invade Canada, depose Hunter and use some of that good old "merican blood" for oil......

It's way closer to home and think of all the money we'll save.

Had to laugh at the story about the SC justice being robbed by a machete wielding man.

I thought "oh, crap! That is crazy story, must have happened in DC...."

No, the moron was robbed at his vacay home - that's what he gets for not buying American.
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

Sometimes things happen that restore my faith in the goodness of some corporations:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...hip/?hpt=hp_c2
    I've Been Frosted

I definitely do not approve of Limbaugh's comments but I do recall Ed Schultz on MSNBC calling Laura Ingraham a right wing slut. His apology was accepted and that was pretty much the end of it. Two wrongs don't make a right, I know, but I think there is definitely a double standard here.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I definitely do not approve of Limbaugh's comments but I do recall Ed Schultz on MSNBC calling Laura Ingraham a right wing slut. His apology was accepted and that was pretty much the end of it. Two wrongs don't make a right, I know, but I think there is definitely a double standard here.
    One apologized in person, on air, and it was accepted by the person who was the subject of the insult.

THe other apologized in a tortured statement that was pretty clearly the result of pressure applied:

“For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.

I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit?In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone’s bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.

"chose the wrong words"? I'd believe it if it was a neophyte talk show host. Rush has been doing this for a couple decades now, he's well aware of what effect his words are going to have. Calling someone a slut is about as personal an attack as one can make.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Ed Schultz was suspended for one week by MSNBC for his comment. Rush should be given a months timeout for the three days he spent castigating Miss Fluke. Each day his rants got worse, and more obscene, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Ed Schultz was suspended for one week by MSNBC for his comment. Rush should be given a months timeout for the three days he spent castigating Miss Fluke. Each day his rants got worse, and more obscene, IMHO.

Schultz's comment was said in the heat of the moment, and his apology was quick and sincere. Rush's vulgar comments were made
    over three days of air time & his half hearted form of a apology was only made because he felt some pressure to do so. Rush said, among
    other things, that he didn't mean to get personal, but his personal slurs on air, show otherwise.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt