Thread: Politics and religion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Okay so then it is a foreign country not just "like" a foreign country and always has been, I must be missing something.
    Don't you have to have a passport to get into a foreign country? Passport is the key word here for me.

We never had to have a passport to drive into Canada & the same went for the Canadians when they would come down here. All you had to do is show your driver license.

If you are talking about the money exchange then that is a different story. Then I guess you would have to call them a foreign country?
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Okay so then it is a foreign country not just "like" a foreign country and always has been, I must be missing something.
    What she meant, I am sure, is that border crossing is more involved and difficult than it used to be, making it more obvious you are crossing into a whole 'nother country.

I am sure there are back rounds still where you can slip across without knowing it, but those aren't on maps!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    What she meant, I am sure, is that border crossing is more involved and difficult than it used to be, making it more obvious you are crossing into a whole 'nother country.

I am sure there are back rounds still where you can slip across without knowing it, but those aren't on maps!
    Well Canada is a foreign country to the U.S. no matter how you look at it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I just looked at a map and if I take an eraser and rub out the 'border', that means we own Canada.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Blog Entries
    Well Canada is a foreign country to the U.S. no matter how you look at it.
    As far as Minnesotans look at it they are our good neighbors to the North & always will be. Not foreign to us.

Karen, They have a huge swath of land cut along the borders between Canada & the U.S. Only the wild critters can run or swim back & forth across the border.

I remember entry was your driver license, are you carrying any fire arms & ammo, how long will you be staying here? If they were suspicious of anything they would have you get out of your vehicle & proceed to pretty much take things apart looking for guns, drugs, etc., coming & going.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

There's a library in a small town in Derby, Vermont. You go in the front door from the Vermont - and you are in Quebec when checking out books.

DERBY LINE, VT -- The world-famous Haskell Free Library and Opera House on Caswell Avenue here is probably the only cultural institution on this planet with a split personality. That's because the U.S./Canadian border slices right through the Kenneth Baldwin International Reading Room.

You enter the lovely turn-of-the-century building in Vermont, but you check out the books -- your choice of English or French -- in Quebec. And, the librarian who assists you may be either a citizen of the United States or Canada, or both and, probably bilingual.

In this part of Vermont, many residents of Quebec's border communities were born in Newport, thus also qualifying for U.S. citizenship. When the 400-seat Opera House reopens later this year following extensive safety and handicapped-accessibility renovations, patrons of the performing arts will again sit in the United States and applaud performances upon a Canadian stage.
    The building and its facilities are governed by a seven-member board of trustees -- four Americans and three Canadians -- who serve without pay. The library lives up to the "free" part in its name: there are no membership fees, and no loan charges are made for book, tapes, or videos. All art exhibits, discussion groups, and other library programs are also free. However, you must usually pay to attend Opera House performances.

Border crossing between Canada and the U.S. tightened up after 9/11.. at least for crossing into the U.S. from Canada (I don't know if Canada has also tightened up on letting us in there). It was just too easy for anyone to cross over before.

Here's information on this topic from Transport Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZfbTlYpKYo

I have an "enhanced" driver's license which supposedly (I haven't tried it out yet) enables me to cross the border without a passport. There are a few other documents available that will also authorize Americans to do that.
    Last edited by phesina; 12-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    There's a library in a small town in Derby, Vermont. You go in the front door from the Vermont - and you are in Quebec when checking out books.
    Oh, that's really neat! I'd love to see that some day. Have you been there, Gretchen?

I read about something similar recently, maybe in the New York Times, that said there is a lake or river between Washington State and British Columbia with an island in the middle of it. Half the island is in the U.S. and half in Canada, and on the island you can wander from one country to the other and back without passing through any checkpoints. However, to GET to or from the island you have to go through the customs check at whichever side you're coming from or going to.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

9. Mexico, with which we also share the North American continent, did not always require passport (or the new passport cards.) A drivers license, voter's i.d., or birth certificate was sufficient to cross the border until recently.

But it is a foreign country!
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 12-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Mexico, with which we also share the North American continent, did not alwaysd require passport (or the new passport cards.) A drivers license, voter's i.d., or birth certificate was sufficient to cross the border until recently.

But it is a foriegn country!
    Of course it's a foreign country, they don't speak American there! Canada, however, is clearly mostly not foreign, as with the exception of Quebec, they speak American.

Okay, hoser?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Of course it's a foreign country, they don't speak American there! Canada, however, is clearly mostly not foreign, as with the exception of Quebec, they speak American.

Okay, hoser?

Take off! To the Great White North!
    Take off! It's a beauty way to go.
    Take off! To the Great White North!

http://www.musictory.com/music/Bob+%...enzie/Take+Off
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Okay, hoser?
    What??? They speak "Mericin" there??? I don't think so...eh?

You callin' me a hoser? That anythin' like a Canuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    What??? They speak "Mericin" there??? I don't think so...eh?

You callin' me a hoser? That anythin' like a Canuck?

They dont speak the Queens English either toots. Besides you dont have to worry about getting kidnapped by Canadian Drug Lords when visiting America's Tuque, the way you have to worry about getting kidnapped by Messican Drug Lords when visiting America's Jock Strap.

Arent you a FIB anyway? Hoser.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Less Government?

and I thought Repubs wanted less government intrusion in everyday life.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/30105045/detail.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

And then there is the State of Virginia -

The Republican Party of Virginia will require all citizens of the state voting in the Republican primary on March 6, 2012 to sign a loyalty oath before being permitted to cast their votes.
    Put plainly, anyone who shows up at the polling place must sign a form wherein he or she swears to support the Republican candidate who wins the nomination. Refusal to sign the pledge results in revocation of the right to vote in the Republican primary election.
    source

I have a son in Virginia. He said he will not vote in the primary if this is in effect.