Page 23 of 257 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

Hi Barack,
    First time caller long time listener!

I won a 99 toyota pick up and I have noticed that it kncoks when I start it in the morning, Am I using the right grade of gas? And how many pounds should I inflate my tires to?

------

Dude,
    You only get your name on money when you get to be president.
    Presumptive? I should say so!

----

I awoke this morning to the staged protest at the BO speech,

Notice-
    No one threw the jokers out for disrupting the speech.
    The banner stayed there long enough for people to read what the message was-a jab at BO"s apparent 'talking down' to the black community.
    The placement of the banner-just in the right place so EVERYONE-camera included, could see it.
    HE stops the speech to discuss the problem with the protestors.
    I am waiting to see if the 'protestors' are interviewed to see who they were and why they were there.

That was priceless.
    Notice that the fainting groupies stopped showing up as soon as the started to become news fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Hi Barack,
    Dude,
    You only get your name on money when you get to be president.
    Presumptive? I should say so!
    He does seem to be acting as if he is already seated in the oval office. I agree Richard - presumptive indeed! It is looking more and more like I will sit this election out. I am a grandmother (how did that happen when I still feel young? ) and I have never done that. Both of these candidates totally TURN ME OFF!! In that case you are supposed to vote for the lesser of two evils. Does that mean they are both evil? If so, why should I vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    He does seem to be acting as if he is already seated in the oval office. I agree Richard - presumptive indeed! It is looking more and more like I will sit this election out. I am a grandmother (how did that happen when I still feel young? ) and I have never done that.

It starts with birds and bees. And the Itty Bitty Look that Alan Jackson talks about.

Sorry to say that the speech he gave at the Dem Convention years ago and hint that he was the 'up and coming' all went to his head.. His media machine are nothing but a bunch of managers -as opposed to saavy media/political consultants. The pundits that keep harping about his 'coolness' and the fact that he keeps bringing the up his 'differentness' make him seem very pompous and vain.

Instead of playing up the fact that his is 'different', he should be touting himself as 'no different' than any of us. His 'prezidenshul" seal (little homage there to the talented rapper Ludacris - a resident on BO's iPod), His comparing his visage to the people on our currency (Hey joker, you can have your face put on the devalued dollar that your tax hikes will pay for) and the comments about being scared about his name and being black are pretty funny and will guarantee him more and more TV time.

I'm not afraid of BO the person,
    It's the person he thinks he is, that gives me doubt.

Sorry to say that the speech he gave at the Dem Convention years ago and hint that he was the 'up and coming' all went to his head.. His media machine are nothing but a bunch of managers -as opposed to saavy media/political consultants. The pundits that keep harping about his 'coolness' and the fact that he keeps bringing the up his 'differentness' make him seem very pompous and vain.

I'm not afraid of BO the person,
    It's the person he thinks he is, that gives me doubt.

The "uppity black dude" gives you problems huh?

Get over yourself Richard.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Instead of playing up the fact that his is 'different', he should be touting himself as 'no different' than any of us.
    Exactly. And it would be in keeping with his political ad where he stands up and says "There is no black America, there is no white America, there is just the United States of America." Saying that he is different seems to me to be the opposite of the way he would like us to feel when we see the ad.

I can't help but feel that he has been handled by some pretty slick people to get where he is now. I am not saying he is not intelligent but I can't believe he rose this far on his own, with very little in the way of experience to do the job he is seeking. Pardon me, those of you who are Hannah Montana fans, but I sort of think it is the same kind of thing going on here. She has skyrocketed to fame and I just don't see exceptional talent. When you have clever people shoving your face in front of the masses day in and day out, sometimes that is all that is needed.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I can't believe he rose this far on his own, with very little in the way of experience to do the job he is seeking.
    You mean like a one term Texas governor whose only other qualification was the last name he got from his daddy??

Exactly. And it would be in keeping with his political ad where he stands up and says "There is no black America, there is no white America, there is just the United States of America." Saying that he is different seems to me to be the opposite of the way he would like us to feel when we see the ad.

Excuse me a minute Pam, but where does he say he's better than any
    of us? In fact, I think he says the opposite by saying, in effect, there is
    ( or should be) NO difference. There should NOT be two Americas, one black
    and one white. Our sameness is that we are all Americans.

I am not a huge Obama fan. AS you know, he wasn't my first choice for
    President at all.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

8. Good point Liz. Obama says he is different from other politicians.

The person who made the reference in an above post took it out of context.

Can you imagine a candidate saying..."I am just like the other money-stealing jerks in office right now!"?????

(With all due respect to Senator Stevens....;-))

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    You mean like a one term Texas governor whose only other qualification was the last name he got from his daddy??
    Touche' and I think that fact should probably scare you.

Liz, not better, just different. I was referring to his statement that he would look different than all of the other presidents on our currency. The report that I heard said that he was referring to the fact that he is black. Why point that out if you want to eliminate the differences? Of course, no one today would look like the presidents on our currency!

Liz, not better, just different. I was referring to his statement that he would look different than all of the other presidents on our currency. The report that I heard said that he was referring to the fact that he is black. Why point that out if you want to eliminate the differences? Of course, no one today would look like the presidents on our currency!

O.K., I understand what you are saying. McCain is pretty old, but I don't
    think even he would look like the former Prezs on currency.

Niether of them wear powdered wigs or have facial hair.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

11. Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Touche' and I think that fact should probably scare you.

That one was just for you Pam. As an Illini I prefer to point out that the only political experience Abraham Lincoln had before being elected president was one term in the Illinois legislature. And he did pretty well in a complex and dangerous time!

And I think Obama was making a joke about not looking like any president on our money. There are still those who have a problem with his race. I heard some West Virginia voters who said they do not trust people of "the other race" and would not vote for Obama for that reason (at least they didn't bring up his Muslim religion....)

12. Today's OC Register (a newspaper to the right of WSJ CSM and Fox News -- put together!) had a editorial about the success of presidents compared to their prior government experience.

Some of the points made in the article - Obama already has more government experience than 3 of the 4 guys on Mount Rushmore. Only Jefferson had more government tenure.

Some of the poorest performing presidents - James Buchanan, Nixon, Andrew Johnson, had extensive government experience.

Teddy Roosevelt had a year as Assistant Navy secretary, 2 years as New York governor and 6 months as vice president.

The writer concluded with a quote from George Bernard Shaw..."Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience."

The writer concluded with a quote from George Bernard Shaw..."Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience."

So true & expressed so well. I like that quote.

Can you supply a link to the article? Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

14. Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Can you supply a link to the article?
    Terribly old-fashion of me Liz...but I like my newspaper -- paper and ink.

But I was able to find it on-line for you here... http://www.ocregister.com/articles/y...resident-obama

Terribly old-fashion of me Liz...but I like my newspaper -- paper and ink.

But I was able to find it on-line for you here... http://www.ocregister.com/articles/y...resident-obama
    Thanks for the link Sara. I read the local paper also but it has very little
    coverage of political or world news commentary. I must search it out online.

Gosh, I really miss Molly Ivins these days. I did find an 2006 column she had written. I re-read it just for the wit & humor.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/...ary/index.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt